Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt Snapped, 8 Year Serviced Yesterday (!)

BKB

Oi, what a day. Today, doing 60/70MPH on a dual carriageway about 20 minutes out from home, sudden power loss, managed to coast to an exit layby, RAC came out in good time and towed us home. RAC man took one look and diagnosed the cambelt. High probability of extensive engine damage. Getting the car taken to our local Allen Ford garage tomorrow morning on the Ford road side assistance scheme.

Now here is the thing, it went in for its 8 year/100,000 service yesterday at its usual Dagenham Motors garage. It has been serviced yearly at this garage for the seven years that I have owned the car. There are currently 83k miles on the clock. The works sheet does not list anything major and the cam belt was not changed, or to my knowledge inspected. From my convocation with the garage today, i got the distinct impression they were going to try and waive all responsibility. Points of interest were:

1) Not due to be changed as had not passed 100,000 yet (even though this was, technically, the 100,000 service)

2) Checking the cambelt is not standard procedure for a service, because access is difficult.

The fact this has happened the very day after a major service is shocking to me, and i suspect liability from the garage. I just wanted to get an informed opinion of what i should do given my situation.

Thank you internet forum-ites :(

I would have thought that after 8 years it should have been changed anyway (might even be after 5 years of wear and tear, the milage shouldnt be a factor) and as it's been serviced by the same garage they should of advised you of this.

good luck and dont let them take the pee, if you get no joy ask the trading standards whats the best route to go.

If they gave you a work sheet see if the box for cambelt/followers are listed as checked.

Otherwise you could find it difficult to prove garage liability unless you made it clear that it should have been checked during the service,

• Like 1

i would say the biggest issue you have is the 100k miles or 10 years is no guarantee, its only a guideline. depending on how the car has been used will affect the lifespan of the belt..

no liability on the garage unless you asked for cambelt to be checked ...i agree 100,000 or ten years is only a guide ...personally i wouldn't go over 70 k

After the event we could all say...the garage should have said, look if I was you I'd have the cam belt replaced at £250. What would you have said? Possibly ....I'll think about that, possibly next month, maybe....

Now in the cold light of day, I doubt you have a leg to stand on regarding negligence on their part. I know it's a bummer but reality often is. Unless you can prove you asked them to inspect the cam belt in relation to its possible replacement being required.

After the event we could all say...the garage should have said, look if I was you I'd have the cam belt replaced at £250. What would you have said? Possibly ....I'll think about that, possibly next month, maybe....

Now in the cold light of day, I doubt you have a leg to stand on regarding negligence on their part. I know it's a bummer but reality often is. Unless you can prove you asked them to inspect the cam belt in relation to its possible replacement being required.

its unfortunate that the belt snapped and im definitely not siding with the garage but, as the belt is less than the recommended change time were they meant to say anything? also unless the belt is frayed or cracked then there is no way to tell if it is going to snap..

just hope the repair doesn't cost you too much mate, hopefully minimal damage.

I may have to disagree with the above. As I cant look at the book, please bare with me and I will be happy to be corrected.

If the major service was at 8 years or 100,000 miles it is whichever comes first, so if the service manual states that the cambelt should have been changed, then the garage must accept liability. However see the service sheet attached... this is built on my old car, 2005 Focus 1.6TDCI, the CamShaft belt seems to be repalced at 150,000m, but I cant see any mention of the cambelt being changed before this.

I always thought it needed to be changed at 100,000, unless this is another Petrol/Diesel split?

serviceschedule1.pdf