Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Master Cylinder

zev

Hi all, need some advice. I had a small drip of fluid in the drivers footwell. I took it to the garage and they said its the master cylinder that needs replacing. All seems ok now. But I've noticed my focus is using a lot of fuel. Not accurate I know but I used the fuel gauge to give me an idea of my fuel consumption. I put 18 litres in and it did 120 miles around town, this is very poor. I did it again to make sure I had done it right and it was roughly 125 miles on 18 litres. Any ideas why this may happening. it wasn't doing too good before the repair but its gone worse.

Zev

Hi all, need some advice. I had a small drip of fluid in the drivers footwell. I took it to the garage and they said its the master cylinder that needs replacing. All seems ok now. But I've noticed my focus is using a lot of fuel. Not accurate I know but I used the fuel gauge to give me an idea of my fuel consumption. I put 18 litres in and it did 120 miles around town, this is very poor. I did it again to make sure I had done it right and it was roughly 125 miles on 18 litres. Any ideas why this may happening. it wasn't doing too good before the repair but its gone worse.

Zev

sounds like the clutch master cylinder, fairly common issues - sorted this on my own car. will cost you about £70 to sort yourself using new parts.

Sorry I should of said they've replaced the master cylinder. That's ok now. But I'm puzzled as to why I'm using so much fuel now. I thought the fuel loss maybe connected to the cylinder. But obviously not. Any ideas as to why my fuel consumption maybe so high.

Zev

What were you normally getting around town, prior to the 122.5 miles average out of 18 litres you not happy with now?

I wish I was getting 30.93 mpg around town, of course what you may class as town, possibly the environs of Manchester, I would class as urban.

I was getting 140 + miles on 20 litres. It can be bit difficult working it out price per litre with prices up and down so I tend to work with the fuel gauge. But it has definitely dropped. I drive to and from work mon - fri which is only 8 miles a day. Use it abit more at weekends. So probably don't drive much than 60 miles a week on average. I rarely do any motorway driving So I can see easily how much I'm using. My car runs smooth enough doesn't appear to be any problems. So not really sure what it could be.

Zev

When was the last time the car was serviced. It cild be that the fuel consumption has been steadily increasing and since youve had one problem tgen you are led to look for other faults with the car

You really can't get an accurate figure based on the cars fuel gauge. The only way is brim-to-brim. Fill it up until the pump cuts off, zero the trip odometer then take readings from the pump and trip meter next time you fill to the brim.

I was getting 140 + miles on 20 litres. It can be bit difficult working it out price per litre with prices up and down so I tend to work with the fuel gauge. But it has definitely dropped. I drive to and from work mon - fri which is only 8 miles a day. Use it abit more at weekends. So probably don't drive much than 60 miles a week on average. I rarely do any motorway driving So I can see easily how much I'm using. My car runs smooth enough doesn't appear to be any problems. So not really sure what it could be.

Zev

There is nothing difficult in regard to working out fuel consumption, as mjt pointed out "brim" the tank. Then do your weekly mileage, then again brim the tank. Only figures you need are the total miles covered between brims, and amount of fuel put in at the second brim. OK fuel is recorded in Liters, so divide by 4.546 to convert to gallons, then divide your mileage by the gallons.

example:

140 miles using 20 liters:

20 liters / 4.546 = 4.399 gallons.....140 miles / 4.399 gallons = 31.825 mpg

So your not happy with 30.93 mpg miles [120 miles out of 18 liters], but your OK with 31.83 mpg out of 20 liters :rolleyes: are you blonde Zev :P

It's no good coming on a forum and saying I'm getting 140+ and I'm not happy .......maths is an exact science, not an estimate of a unknown figure represented by the symbol +

Zev, trust me you have a 1.6 petrol Focus and if it is indeed returning circa 31.5 mpg around town, you don't have a problem........you should be very happy

Do the brim test and get a definitive answer to you actual consumption, if your still in doubt.

Ok fair enough catch I will do the math and the brim test. I came on her for advice not rudeness.

Zev

• Like 1

Ok fair enough catch I will do the math and the brim test. I came on her for advice not rudeness.

Zev

Well I gave you plenty of advice, and my blonde comment did have the tongue in cheek smiley attached.

I doubt you really want me to paint a clearer picture for you, so lets just leave it at that shall we? Oh and I'll ignore all your future posts for advice from now on in...

There you go again can't help yourself. Thanks for the advice. But yes maybe better to ignore my posts not that I post many.

• Like 1

There you go again can't help yourself.

Jeez, I made a "bloke joke" which was obvious because it was accompanied by a "tongue in check" smiley.You accuse me of being rude, I then go on to explain it as just a joke, but no your still not happy and insist I'm still at it.

The Facts:

You open a thread entitled Master Cylinder, point being it was leaking fluid, but has since been repaired. But you apparently suspect it may be connected to your "perceived" low fuel consumption, that has only come to light since the Master Cylinder was repaired.

So it's really a thread on Poor Fuel Consumption!

Anyway you go on to support your conclusion your suffering poor fuel consumption by offering up two pieces of data 120/125 miles out of 18 liters of fuel. Followed by the observation you were getting 140+ out of 20 liters of fuel, before the Master Cylinder leak was fixed.

Now if I had said,

Things may have changed somewhat since I was at school, but I reckon the education system in the UK is still teaching basic divisional mathmatics in junior school. So if your unable to see you have not got a problem with poor consumption, your either incredibly stupid, or incredibly lazy and expect others to do the maths for you, which is it?...........Now that would have been rude.

But no I didn't say that, instead I just assumed you were struggling with the basic maths. So I took the time out to walk you through the process....................and thats the thanks I get, being told I'm rude.....I don't know why I bother sometimes :ph34r:

Jeez catch hahaha. considering you have a low opinion of me and that you were going to ignore my posts you have certainly sent me a long reply. I'm actually a strawberry blonde so not far of the mark. It wasn't the "bloke joke" I was referring to as rude anyway. It was the your stupid tone in your reply. I think your taking this too far anyway. Why did reply again why not just ignore me. I did thank you for your advice. So there was no need to reply with more insults. You don't know me nor I you so therefore neither of us can give a real opinion of the other. So catch, now what. Gonna send me another long reply ;-)

• Like 1

Gonna send me another long reply ;-)

No of course not, but to ignore your reply would indeed be rude of me.

Lets just say I don't normally suffer fools gladly, but I must admit I'm warming to you....strawberry blonde you say :P

edit: I said I'd ignore your posts seeking advice.....you see Zev what's worth knowing is always in the detail....maybe that's where you going wrong ...ignoring it.....what you'd call the long stuff that is!

Go on I'll let you have the last laugh, and promise not to reply :D

Lol my god catch do you sit glued to your computer that was a quick reply. If you had ever had the pleasure of meeting me you would certainly would not be rude. I've never met a man yet who couldn't help but flirt with me no matter their age. So please do not ignore my posts because I would certainly miss your flirty insults hahaha ;-)

• Like 1

Fordpartsman got me thinking . My car was last serviced 12 months ago. I've only done 3500 mileage in that time. I don't do a great deal of motorway driving. But as I my annual mileage is low is it still better to have a service yearly. I do understand that if the car is serviced regularly then the car will perform better and could improve the fuel consumption. I found some figures I had jotted down from When I first bought my focus 12 mths ago. I was getting almost 40 mph. My last car was a vectra 1.8l and sucked up fuel. In fact I was only getting 25 mph when I sold it. So 40 was great. So in comparison the fuel consumption has changed. Any ideas guys.

Zev

• Like 1

You will probably find that your Warranty and service Guide says something like "The service should be performed annually or at the maximum mileages shown in the chart on the back cover (whichever occurs first)" so the answer is yes, you should have it serviced at least every year even if you've only done a low mileage.

In view of your spat with Catch I'll refrain from any un-PC comments, just to point out that it's mpg not mph. :)

• Like 1

In view of your spat with Catch I'll refrain from any un-PC comments, just to point out that it's mpg not mph. :)

Very wise Mike,on reading the following

I came on her for advice not rudeness

I was tempted to say...........you cannot be serious......but I thought I better not, no sense of humour.

Good thing about having a sense of humour is unlike looks, it stays with you forever.....having said that vanity can keep some people amused for hours.......... :ph34r:

Oh yes typing error mpg lol. At least that's my excuse. I've looked at my service book for info but says annually. Think I will have it serviced when it goes in for its m.o.t in a couple weeks. Thanks mjt.

Zev

• Like 1

You wouldn't still be having a pop at me would you catch. Lol

Zev

• Like 1

As already stated the service interval will be 12,500 miles or 12 Months

I would monitor the mpg for a few weeks before and after the service just to see the comparison

And just one other thing. Good on you for standing your ground

• Like 1

Thanks fordpartsman.

Zev

You wouldn't still be having a pop at me would you catch. Lol

Zev

Nay Zev, now you've told me how irresistible you are to the opposite s*x, I'd obviously be mad to have a go at you. dropdeadgorgious.gif

Now I hope your not imagining it, like you achieving just short of 40mpg around town in a 1.6 petrol Focus. I'd be writing to the Guinness Book of records with that one :rolleyes:

Oh the reason I can reply quickly sometimes to your posts, is not because I await your every word, sorry to disappoint. No I sit here in front of three PC screens for my sins. I monitor real time streaming numerical and economic data. And as there are plenty times actions by me are not required, I can visit the boards. That and my email program is set to check the mail every two minutes. So there you go, things to learn, advice to give,legs to pull..........it all pads the day out.

Wow catch that makes you sound ever so intelligent. And you know what intelligence means to a women ;-). Sounds like you have a brilliant job not many of them around these days.

And no I'm not imagining it I did 40 mpg when I first bought my focus. I know this because my daughter lives down south and filled my car to the brim. I deducted the motorway bit and my figure came to 40mpg. My husband rechecked it and he came to the same figure. All I can say is I must drive like a granny lol.

Zev

• Like 1

Wow catch that makes you sound ever so intelligent

You reckon, all you need is the ability to understand simple maths......ah I see where your coming from now.

And you know what intelligence means to a women ;-).

Your speaking for all women kind now, was that a self promotion you slipped in there ;) But I'll run with it for now for the sake of this conversation. Let me guess, is it a "turn off" ? Are you saying you would not be attracted to a partner with a modicum of intelligence?

Sounds like you have a brilliant job not many of them around these days

Jobs, professions call them what you will, are what you make of them. Besides the last time I picked up a pay check was back in 1976, so it's not one I'll be getting sacked from. And unlike some I dare say, I ain't posting on here while somebody is supposedly paying me to work. :rolleyes:

And no I'm not imagining it I did 40 mpg when I first bought my focus. I know this because my daughter lives down south and filled my car to the brim. I deducted the motorway bit and my figure came to 40mpg.

Hardly what you would define as a "back tested" mathematical strategy to come up with irrefutable proof of your claims. But you now what Zev I'm definitely warming to your naivety. :D

My husband rechecked it and he came to the same figure

I refer you to an earlier answer :P

Look all joking apart, Fords official figures for the urban cycle are 32.5 mpg for the 1.6 petrol engine in your Focus. The web is full of threads of people complaining they get no where near that figure. So to say in "town" driving you were achieving nigh on 40 mpg is well you know.......

We do a lot of town driving, all be it short trips on a cold engine and lucky to hit 21 mpg. OK I can get my trip computer to record 59.50 mpg if I'm in fifth gear on the motorway and maintain an average of circa 54 mph with out applying the brakes. But that is resetting the trips once I'm in fifth gear, and taking the reading prior to changing down gears to exit the motorway. And that was on a short six mile trip. Besides the dash trip can be out anywhere between 5 to 10 percent, meaning its discrepancy is not consistent.

I can hit 55 mpg on country A roads before I hit traffic, or my brakes, or urbanisations, again that is driving like a granny.

But in the real world, where I'm not playing the "how many mpg's can I get out of the car" driving like this, game. The numbers tell a totally different story.

Last year we did 5,576 miles, of which 2,146 miles [38%] of that mileage was mostly bombing along the motorway for touring holidays. On those trips I brimmed tank before we set off and brimmed tank when we get back home. We recorded on three different trips 35.05 mpg M6 to Cornwall, 35.91 mpg A1[M] to Northumberland, and 37.55 mpg A1[M] Maidstone in Kent, eked a few more mpg out of it because I was sticking at no more than 70 mph as we had the In Laws on board.

Now the other 3,530 miles not down to holiday mileage, was a mix of country A roads and town and urbanisation driving, returning 31.24 mpg, with an overall annual consumption of 32.84 mpg

Interestingly this year prior to any holiday mileage being undertaken we are returning on 2,056 miles covered, 31.17 mpg. That's 0.07 mpg less than last years average for a similar type of mileage covered. No doubt that is the consequence of fitting a pair of new Goodyear OptiGrip tyres just two days prior to said mileage being covered. Those tyres being renowned for.....well being grippy :ph34r:

There are all kinds of variants to add to any mix, with speed, driving style and traffic conditions being the principle ones. But the golden rule in data analysis is, the further back the data goes the more reliable it is.......my daughter did this and I subtracted that on a one off event cannot be defined as data you can rely on.

Trust me Zev, if your getting circa 32 mpg out of your car in town driving, you definitely ain't got a problem.