Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n Air Filter - Worth It?

Dougal

Hi

My brother has recently fitted a K&N air filter to his Mini Cooper Clubman D (1.6), and says you can really feel the difference.

That got me thinking about adding to my Zetec S TDCi (95).

From your experiences are the following actually worth it, and do you feel any gain?

K&N Air filter

K&N Induction kit

I welcome your thoughts :)

It depends what you want the filter to do. If you want to make lots of noise, and lose power by installing it wrong (ie, by putting the cone above the engine, and not protecting from heat), then the induction kit is the way to go.

The K&N panel filter (i think thats what your on about) will replace the paper filter and might give you 2 bhp if your lucky. Either way, none of them will give you huge ammounts of power, and you wont notice the difference.

BTW - the link you got the for first filter links to a clutch :lol:

Hi dougal.

I have fitted the above kit to my car and all i notice is a growl under acceleration.

I have not noticed any more power apart from the above noise.

The cone is strapped to the inlet from the bonnet so it always has cold air.

Jamie

I just bought this.

Arrived today...will fit it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Ahhh perfect mate was hoping to see some feedback on the J1.

Any help on fitting instructions would be much appreciated? :)

Ahhh perfect mate was hoping to see some feedback on the J1.

Any help on fitting instructions would be much appreciated? :)

Just fitted it this evening actually. Got a bit impatient!! :)

Did you get a set of instructions with it no??

What are you stuck on and I will see if I can help.

Just fitted it this evening actually. Got a bit impatient!! :)

Did you get a set of instructions with it no??

What are you stuck on and I will see if I can help.

Nah mate, I havent actually bought it yet! Lol but was just wanting some info on it before I go ahead and buy it.

Have you test driven it, any difference??

And I was reading it takes literally no time at all to fit and all you need is a flat headed screwdriver. Or is there more to it? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Nah mate, I havent actually bought it yet! Lol but was just wanting some info on it before I go ahead and buy it.

Have you test driven it, any difference??

And I was reading it takes literally no time at all to fit and all you need is a flat headed screwdriver. Or is there more to it? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Only for a few mins, so don't wanna comment on any power increases yet. It does sound terrific though.

It's not too hard. I had a bit of trouble with one connection but I think it was just me being thick.

You will also need 2 Torx screwdrivers, sizes 20 + 30.

I will go for a spin 2mo and let you know how it feels

Only for a few mins, so don't wanna comment on any power increases yet. It does sound terrific though.

It's not too hard. I had a bit of trouble with one connection but I think it was just me being thick.

You will also need 2 Torx screwdrivers, sizes 20 + 30.

I will go for a spin 2mo and let you know how it feels

Im sure ll manage to fit mine no probs hopefully! :rolleyes:

Cool mate.

It depends what you want the filter to do. If you want to make lots of noise, and lose power by installing it wrong (ie, by putting the cone above the engine, and not protecting from heat), then the induction kit is the way to go.

The K&N panel filter (i think thats what your on about) will replace the paper filter and might give you 2 bhp if your lucky. Either way, none of them will give you huge ammounts of power, and you wont notice the difference.

BTW - the link you got the for first filter links to a clutch :lol:

Not sure how I managed that. I never looked at a clutch :huh:

Thanks for the replies guys. It appears I won't notice any power difference, just a ggrroowwwllll. I'll mull it over a bit longer I think.

You may notice a placebo difference ;)

There might be some more induction noise, which could give the impression of a difference but I think you'll find that back to back on a dyno or drag strip, there will be half of SFA difference ;)

hI :) I have been looking into getting the KnN induction kit and reading the previous posts is it actually worth it at all seems alot of money for barely any difference?! i previously tried a ripspeed filter and it sounded great and noticed a small difference in acceleration although a week later the engine completely failed so removed it and havent had a problem since (guessing there not ment for the zetec S!!) Just wondering if the KnN induction kit will give it a better sound and acceleration?? Any help will be useful before i go ahead n order to be disappointed again!!

Read this thread for info on the J1 kit. It's got pictures, dyno's and a review written by fellow FOC member Jason Tierney. This is what I'd get, if I had the money :(

I had a K&N in my 1.8 Focus... and it sounded great. But due to the way it was positioned it actually ended up suffering from heat soak and the performance was worse from a standstill...

I think I won't bother getting one for my Fiesta...

Just bought a panel filter fitted it tonite, maybe a 1bhp upgrade if anything lol noticed a wee difference in sound though.

If you want it only for sound, they are worth it.

If you want it for performance, I'd spend your money elsewhere.

If you want it only for sound, they are worth it.

If you want it for performance, I'd spend your money elsewhere.

So what is the best £ per BHP improvement then?

petrol or diesel :blink:

petrol or diesel :blink:

I guess both really to be honest

Good discussion. I have decided not to bother. Thanks for all the replies.

i got just a K&N cone on mine, fitted right it does seem to make a difference, but when i swap back to the standard set up every now and again (i.e. when i take it for services and so on) the car dont half zip along quicker before the ECU susses out whats going on... for noise, they are worth it.. just search on eBay, i on my 2nd one, first was tiny and got that for a tennor, 2nd is huggeee and got that for 12 quid and both legit K&N stuff

On a Fiesta? Nowt.

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car.

The Fiesta isn't going to be fast unless you drop a powerful engine in or throw force induction at it, all silly money you could spend on another car which would cause you less problems and be cheaper. The Fiesta ZS is sluggish, the Mountune just a little less sluggish and as for the rest of the range, well, underwhelming in the performance stakes just about covers it.

On a Fiesta? Nowt.

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car.

Can't fault that, I've had a lot faster cars for a lot less than the Fiesta, me just need something that that's fairly secure (better than my kit car), gets me from A to B with the rest of the traffic (my average speed isn't high according to the computer LOL) oh and is very reliable.

Can't fault that, I've had a lot faster cars for a lot less than the Fiesta, me just need something that that's fairly secure (better than my kit car), gets me from A to B with the rest of the traffic (my average speed isn't high according to the computer LOL) oh and is very reliable.

True enough. I had a Alfa 147 (150) and it was great car to drive (when it wasn't on a ramp). Moved to a Fiesta as a cost cutting exercise. I like the cheap running and gadgets, but miss some decent torque.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club