Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belts

suddste

Hello,

Just wondering if there is an easy way to check the cam belt on the engine, i have no experience of working on one but I am worried about the belt even though my miles are around 41,000, and the ford service schedule is 10 years or 100,000miles. (it's an 2004 car)

By the way, could anyone post any useful information related to the cam belt on a mk1 1.6 petrol focus?

55 plate Focus with 40,467 on the clock and not remotely worried about the cam belt. So stop worrying John, you have no reason to. Besides worry, stress call it what you will is a killer in that it brings on illnesses that can be fatal.......it'll take years off you man..................chill :ph34r:

55 plate Focus with 40,467 on the clock and not remotely worried about the cam belt. So stop worrying John, you have no reason to. Besides worry, stress call it what you will is a killer in that it brings on illnesses that can be fatal.......it'll take years off you man..................chill :ph34r:

LOL thank you catch....I have horrendous worrying, cant stop lol

and the internet doesnt help with conflicting information either

If belts were failing well before the 100k /10 year term, manufactures of the belts and Ford themselves would reduce the intervals for replacing. Plus there will be at least a 10% safety margin built into those replacement times. They have models to work off regards likely component failure, they don't just take a stab at it. Yes I know peeps can always site one that failed before its time. Yes you will hear peeps say, oh I change mine every 40K or every 5 years, like you get peeps saying I change my oil every 5k or six months. Mostly likely based on nothing more than what your basing your fears on....it don't make em right coz you read it on the web. I bet your probably statistically more likely to get mugged coming home from the local pub, than have a cam belt fail on you

Look I've only ever owned second hand cars, and I've never been without one in 46 years. And I've only ever changed one belt on a nine year old Mondeo as was then, because my mechanic said it was due. A year later the original clutch went on it circa 80K !

So there you go, in 46 years of second hand car ownership, only ever changed one, never had one go on me. Nor have I been mugged coming home from the pub in all those years............What kind of odds does it take to make you sleep at nights ! :D

If belts were failing well before the 100k /10 year term, manufactures of the belts and Ford themselves would reduce the intervals for replacing. Plus there will be at least a 10% safety margin built into those replacement times. They have models to work off regards likely component failure, they don't just take a stab at it. Yes I know peeps can always site one that failed before its time. Yes you will hear peeps say, oh I change mine every 40K or every 5 years, like you get peeps saying I change my oil every 5k or six months. Mostly likely based on nothing more than what your basing your fears on....it don't make em right coz you read it on the web. I bet your probably statistically more likely to get mugged coming home from the local pub, than have a cam belt fail on you

Look I've only ever owned second hand cars, and I've never been without one in 46 years. And I've only ever changed one belt on a nine year old Mondeo as was then, because my mechanic said it was due. A year later the original clutch went on it circa 80K !

So there you go, in 46 years of second hand car ownership, only ever changed one, never had one go on me. Nor have I been mugged coming home from the pub in all those years............What kind of odds does it take to make you sleep at nights ! :D

LOL this is very true, catch. Thank you for that post it's made my mind at ease for the time being. I guess it's because it's my first car I dont really know what to expect!

LOL this is very true, catch. Thank you for that post it's made my mind at ease for the time being. I guess it's because it's my first car I dont really know what to expect!

the belts are gauranteed for 10 years however its the tensioner that goes and that is not gauranteed fleet owners who had the original mark one stated its best to change the belt and tensioner at 7 years 70k but its really up to you

from another site While the belts can last 100k, the plastic tensioners can often fail by 60k. I would personally change at around the 5yr/50k mark.

the owner's forums recommend 7yr/70k changes instead of the 10yr/100k.

so its up to you i had a full kit done thats belt tensioner both pulley wheels and fan belt don e by ford for about 200 ish

My last car was a vectra and the belt went at 70k. Can't remember if it was the tensioner that was a fault or not. Luckily for me I have a lovely mechanic at my local garage who looks after me and bless his cotton socks didn't charge me vat. So only cost me £450 to get it back on the road god only knows what it would of cost me to go somewhere else. So when I bought my focus last year I was wary about the cam belt. I asked the salesman to fit me a kit seeing as he had no idea of its age. Its best to be safe than sorry, even though he probably only fitted a basic kit rather than fords. Which is ok as I will probably only keep the car for a few years anyway.

Zev

the belts are gauranteed for 10 years however its the tensioner that goes and that is not gauranteed fleet owners who had the original mark one stated its best to change the belt and tensioner at 7 years 70k but its really up to you

from another site While the belts can last 100k, the plastic tensioners can often fail by 60k. I would personally change at around the 5yr/50k mark.

the owner's forums recommend 7yr/70k changes instead of the 10yr/100k.

so its up to you i had a full kit done thats belt tensioner both pulley wheels and fan belt don e by ford for about 200 ish

if it's the tensioner then, I herd these can make a sound while the engine is running to tell u if it's worn (rattles, etc). I just ran the engine and pretty much seemed normal apart from engine vibrations. No sounds can be heard outside apart from the normal running of the engine.

if it's the tensioner then, I herd these can make a sound while the engine is running to tell u if it's worn (rattles, etc). I just ran the engine and pretty much seemed normal apart from engine vibrations. No sounds can be heard outside apart from the normal running of the engine.

Come to think of it john there was a rattle right before the car broke down. So yes it was probably the tensioner.

Zev

Come to think of it john there was a rattle right before the car broke down. So yes it was probably the tensioner.

Zev

how old was yours when you got yours replaced?

The vectra was 9 years old with 70k on the clock. I knew nothing about cam belts at the time. So I was naturally cautious when I bought my focus last year. Seeing as the salesman had no info on the cam belt I persuaded him to fit me one at no cost to me. So at least now I have no worries for a few years.

Zev

The vectra was 9 years old with 70k on the clock. I knew nothing about cam belts at the time. So I was naturally cautious when I bought my focus last year. Seeing as the salesman had no info on the cam belt I persuaded him to fit me one at no cost to me. So at least now I have no worries for a few years.

Zev

pretty good

I bought an old Puma as a run around with 128k miles on it and was 12 years old. This had never had the belt changed, but was obviously starting to stretch, as when slowing down and accellerating from low speed it pulled back a little. This dissappeared once I changed the belt.

I bought an old Puma as a run around with 128k miles on it and was 12 years old. This had never had the belt changed, but was obviously starting to stretch, as when slowing down and accellerating from low speed it pulled back a little. This dissappeared once I changed the belt.

pulled back?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club