Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cuts Out In Low Gears

Boonie

I have a X-reg 1300cc 8-valve Fiesta and the engine keeps cutting out in low gears. I've managed to get it going (sometimes) by putting a 20A fuse in just to get me home, but sometimes it starts again after a period of time without changing the fuse.

As I need my car for work I become apprehensive every time I drive, just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

I've taken it to a couple of local, experienced Ford mechanics and they've wired it up and both said that they can't find any fault at all. They said the fuses and relay are perfectly ok.

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Hi Boonie

20A Fuse ? Where

Could be :-

Idle speed control valve

Throttle position sensor

Does it cut out when you push the clutch all the way down.

Jamie

Hi Boonie

20A Fuse ? Where

Could be :-

Idle speed control valve

Throttle position sensor

Does it cut out when you push the clutch all the way down.

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply.

The fuel pump fuse blows every time and it does cut out when the clutch is all the way down (normally slowing down or pulling away at junctions).

Boonie

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply.

The fuel pump fuse blows every time and it does cut out when the clutch is all the way down (normally slowing down or pulling away at junctions).

Boonie

sounds like a wiring problem or a faulty fuel pump..

does the car start and idle ok? is it just when the car is moving that it cuts out and blows the fuse?

Hi Stef

The fuel pump fuse blows every time and it cuts out when slowing down or pulling away at junctions. It starts and idles ok. A couple of mechanics have said the fuel pump is ok

Hi

I think it is quicker and easyer to obtain another tank from the scrappy than to mess about with the float and pump as they are temperamental unless its an external pump.

Jamie