Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drl Installation Help Needed!

adowling

Hi guys,

I own a mk6 Fiesta, and i have bought myself some Daytime Running Light's (DRL ebay link).

I read that when you use them you cannot use them while using your headlights because they tend to dazzle people. So i was thinking I could wire them up to my side lights, but unfortunately when my headlights are on, mt side lights are on too.

I was just wondering how I could wire up my DRL's so that when my lights are off or just my sidelights are on, the DRL's would be on, but when I turn the switch another click to headlights, the DRL's will turn off.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

post-23889-0-98350100-1308336812_thumb.j

just side lights on

post-23889-0-73087200-1308337052_thumb.j

Headlights on. See how the side lights stay on..

Add a relay to the DRL circuit. Keep it wired to the switch the way you have it. Wire it on the closed side of the relay so the circuit will be connected when there isn't power.

use the headlamp circuit to power the relay so when the headlights are turned on, the relay opens

Add a relay to the DRL circuit. Keep it wired to the switch the way you have it. Wire it on the closed side of the relay so the circuit will be connected when there isn't power.

use the headlamp circuit to power the relay so when the headlights are turned on, the relay opens

Thanks. But will the DRL's be on when the keys aren't in the ignition? because you can turn the side lights on when theres no key. So when the lights are off, i guess there's still power going to the switch, just no circuit to be made. But when there are DRL's installed, surely it would create a circuit when the keys aren't in the ignition?

Sorry if i've confused you.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

ok basicly im trying to do the same. p38fln is right adding a relay (an SPDT realy (single pole double throw) a standard part easy to find)(i think its the one with termianls 87 and 87b written one it)

But insted of taking the poweer dirrectly from the battery try to find a ingnition live (ie a point on the car that bacomes live once the key is turn to the on posttion. this mayb found in the fuse boz behind the glove box (be carfull you dont want to upset and thing eles in the car)

i have found two possible postion for this fuse postion 2 and 3 cus they are unused in my car cus they are to do with haveing wiring to a trailer (its in the haynes manual and it is on the fuse box diagrame with a little pic of a carvan to sybolis it) i dont have a two bar fitted so i dont maind using these. i tested them with a volt meater with and with out the ignition on and they are live with the ingnotion on. (tested from terminal in fuse postion to earth ie metal work) in my fiesta there is only one terminal fitted to both of theses positions and it is the live feed via the ignition. so i think this may be a good point to take power from. the only thing is i dont no what terminal ford uses so i can fit a the missing one.

il try and post a circuit diagrame

ok basicly im trying to do the same. p38fln is right adding a relay (an SPDT realy (single pole double throw) a standard part easy to find)(i think its the one with termianls 87 and 87b written one it)

But insted of taking the poweer dirrectly from the battery try to find a ingnition live (ie a point on the car that bacomes live once the key is turn to the on posttion. this mayb found in the fuse boz behind the glove box (be carfull you dont want to upset and thing eles in the car)

i have found two possible postion for this fuse postion 2 and 3 cus they are unused in my car cus they are to do with haveing wiring to a trailer (its in the haynes manual and it is on the fuse box diagrame with a little pic of a carvan to sybolis it) i dont have a two bar fitted so i dont maind using these. i tested them with a volt meater with and with out the ignition on and they are live with the ingnotion on. (tested from terminal in fuse postion to earth ie metal work) in my fiesta there is only one terminal fitted to both of theses positions and it is the live feed via the ignition. so i think this may be a good point to take power from. the only thing is i dont no what terminal ford uses so i can fit a the missing one.

ok basicly im trying to do the same. p38fln is right adding a relay (an SPDT realy (single pole double throw) a standard part easy to find)(i think its the one with termianls 87 and 87a written one it)

edit........

just realised what i surjested would mean they would be on all the time when engine is running but off when ingnition is off. if this is not what you want insted of using ignition live just pick up off the side lights to pin 30 of the realay.

as prommised. im going to try use this set up but used the side light to throw the relay so they are on with the engine but off as soon as you turn the side light on. any question just ask cus i dont think iv been to clear sorry.

also im going to put a switch in mayb just in case i want them off semi permananly say for mot perposes. im not sure how leagal this set uo is.

you cus go fever with this as well say you wanted them to dim insted of go off with your lights.

DRL wiring.bmp

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club