Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Finesse 2003 - Choking!

peppera

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.3 petrol

When shifting between 2nd/3rd/4th (particularly on hills or when more throttle is being used) the engine will miss a beat, as if it's not getting enough fuel, air?

I have changed spark plugs, spark leads and used some fuel cleaner fluid in the tank.

What's the best (and cheapest/common) fix to try next.

I am a novice but could probably change air filter...

Thanks for any suggestions!

:blink:

Changed Fuel Filter now too.

The engine seems to make a short "hiss" noise when idling from cold, but this clears up after running the engine for a few minutes.

Could it be the fuel injector not opening and closing correctly? Does anyone know if it is a single or multi injector? Pricey to replace or cheap?

• 3 weeks later...

Took car back to the garage, and this time an air fault code occured which hadn't previously (afraid I don't have the code), but the mechanic suggested changing the air sensor (MAF?) which he did.

Fault code cleared, car drove fine on the way home (possibly because it was warm), but the next day the problem was still there!

Should I take my car to a Ford garage?

Took car back to the garage, and this time an air fault code occured which hadn't previously (afraid I don't have the code), but the mechanic suggested changing the air sensor (MAF?) which he did.

Fault code cleared, car drove fine on the way home (possibly because it was warm), but the next day the problem was still there!

Should I take my car to a Ford garage?

hi mate do you the fault code that come up?

• 3 weeks later...
hi mate do you the fault code that come up?

Problem appears to be fixed by replacing the coil pack...

the air fault code (sorry I don't have the ref) might have a side affect of the actual problem.

• 1 month later...

Problem seems to be re-occuring, just not as drastic as before.

When I apply med-high throttle at the low end of a gear I'm getting a hesitation until I ease off. If I accelerate more cautiously I can avoid the issue, or by staying in lower gears i.e.

staying in 3rd until 30-35mph

staying in 4th - 35 - 55mph

What are the max revs I should be hitting in a Fiesta Finesse? 2500, 3000?

I'm starting to think that I've forgotten how to drive my poor fiesta after the problems I've had! Am I flooding the engine?

Or is it possible the garage have fitted a duff coil pack?

I don't remember ever having this issue in the past when accelerating....

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same model and problem. I've had the car for 1 year and it's done this consistently.

All I've done so far is take the coil off and check the resistance 0.8 ohms between terminals 1 and 3, 10400 ohms between plugs which is slightly outside the Haynes readings. peppera: could you post your reading for your coil?

Also, the crankcase breather filter assembly is loose on the side of the air housing so I'm gonna replace that

Changed the plugs, air filter and oil+filter. It last had a service when I bought it in Jan 08.

I could get a 1.3mm feeler gauge in the old plugs easily but not in the new ones. The plugs hadn't been changed 20k miles (theres 45k on the clock). Looking at the last 3 services, it says plugs ok so not changed!

Crank breather assembly is a little box on the side of the air housing with a sponge filter inside. It had broken away from the air housing because someone appears to have manhandled it. Replacement involves replacing the whole air assembly. Instead I've glued it back on with Evostik.

After carrying out the above, it's running alot smoother but still has a slightly rough idle and occasional hesitation in 3rd at 15k revs. Maybe the ECU needs time to settle down.

Now that it's running better, I wanted to see whether it's the plugs or glueing the breather assembly that has helped. So, I removed the breather box cover and sponge and took it for a test. It ran slightly worse but not as bad as before.

Further to changing the coil pack (above posts), I decided to change the HT leads again. When removing the leads a couple of them left a metal connection attached to the plug, so the leads may have been iffy. Removed metal and attached new leads.

The car is no longer struggling or missing, fingers crossed. I've made sure the leads are nicely secured, car no longer makes a "tsk" noise when idling, which I assume was the leads arc-ing to the vehicle body.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club