Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 Zs Problem

corey-jones

Hi i hope someone can help me, i have a slight problem with my car.

When it is left to tick over it sounds as if it loses revs and then bumps back up sort of as if it is missing although on my clock the revs do not go on. After a while of just standing the happens every 30-40 seconds. Its really starting to bug me now. i wonder if anyone would know what type of thing could be wrong so i could explain to my dealer a bit better?

Mine has started doing the exact same thing recently. It's really irritating, I agree!! I took it to Ford on Saturday and apparently they couldn't find a fault with the engine and I was told to go back should it get worse <_< I'm not convinced though...

Someone mentioned it could be spark plugs or maybe the coil pack, but seeing as I'm not mechanically minded I wouldn't know how to go about checking these things, let alone locate them in my engine :blink:

I have this problem, me and my dad adjusted the spark plugs a couple of weeks back, and it got better, for a few days... The problems deffinately got worse. Like you it started with the occassional shudder, uneven idle etc. Nowadays it's constantly can't sit still on idle, and it shakes the whole car! When driving slowly it actually affects the speed, which is very uncomfortable/embarrassing in traffic.

Tempted to change the spark plugs, because adjusting them really helped, but shopuld a car with 13,000 miles really need new spark plugs?

I guess I'll take it into Ford and see what they say, they can't deny a constant fault, surely?

Oh, and my fault has recently developed to complete power loss, happens occassionally, change gear and put foot down, nothing, Revs just drop all the way back to idle. Not sure if this is related. But these 2 faults are really ruining my first car experience :/

Oh, and my fault has recently developed to complete power loss, happens occassionally, change gear and put foot down, nothing, Revs just drop all the way back to idle. Not sure if this is related. But these 2 faults are really ruining my first car experience :/

Sounds like EGR or the Throttle body breather issues that you used to get in older cars. I used to have similar issues with Vauxhalls. A right lumpy ride they were when they got clogged with all the carbon crap.

• Like 1

Sounds like EGR or the Throttle body breather issues that you used to get in older cars. I used to have similar issues with Vauxhalls. A right lumpy ride they were when they got clogged with all the carbon crap.

Thanks, I'll mention that when I take it in.

Report back and let us know what happens. Details to give to dealers can be useful for anyone else with similar issues. Good luck.

I can feel it now when im driving too. i will leave my foot on the accelereter and the car will do a constant speed then it slows and then speeds back up again. Im definetly going to have a word with ford about it. only just 2 years old

My car is in for a service as I type this. I have the same problem and it is on their notes to look at. Somehow I don't think they will find what I causing it if it doesn't show up as a fault code. Fingers crossed and I will report back later or tommorow.

Mine (Titanium but with the Zetec S engine) has had an intermittent "cutting out when driving" issue from 3 months old - & surprise surprise, 2 different dealers both "unable to fault". Have also noticed too the issue where now & again revs suddenly drop at idle, engine almost stalls then revs go back up to normal tickover speed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem tbh.

So everyone with this fault are all running the 1.6l Ti-VCT engine?

Just an update from my service. No fault codes were showing so the issue remains. Sometimes I do think dealers rely too much on sensor codes but I guess trial and error would take too much of their time.

Just a thought, does this show on the rev counter when this happens? If so then I would get a friend to video this with a mobile while you're driving & show it to the service manager at your dealer.

What type of fuel you using?? Long shot but my diesel developed a stutter as tho about to stall after 15-20 minutes. Stopped using Shell, problem gone away.

Just a thought, does this show on the rev counter when this happens? If so then I would get a friend to video this with a mobile while you're driving & show it to the service manager at your dealer.

I've take a video of the shuddering on my phone, lost it now, that was only when it was intermittent, it's constant now! I'd like to see them tell me it's normal. When I take mine in, I'm not going to be accepting mine back til they find some sort of resolution!

What type of fuel you using?? Long shot but my diesel developed a stutter as tho about to stall after 15-20 minutes. Stopped using shell, problem gone away.

Personally I fill up all over the place, Usually Morrisons or Texaco, which use the same fuel. But I've also tried Shell and BP and the problem persists.

My engine is losing power a lot more regularly now. 3 Times in one night, over about 40 miles. The one time I let it go. 2nd gear and about 20mph, foot about 1/4 down the accelerator, sure enough the revs just plummeted til the car stalled. Changing gear or putting my foot down hasn't failed me yet though as a way out.

Hi i hope someone can help me, i have a slight problem with my car.

When it is left to tick over it sounds as if it loses revs and then bumps back up sort of as if it is missing although on my clock the revs do not go on. After a while of just standing the happens every 30-40 seconds. Its really starting to bug me now. i wonder if anyone would know what type of thing could be wrong so i could explain to my dealer a bit better?

If you still have the original spark plugs fitted change them they will be cheap and nasty and you wont find 2 with the same sparking gap. get a good quality set from Bosch supper pluses or champion which are pre gapped and will stay correct for thousands of miles. also worth checking if the air filter has ever been changed or the fuel filter as these often get overlooked.

If you still have the original spark plugs fitted change them they will be cheap and nasty and you wont find 2 with the same sparking gap. get a good quality set from bosch supper pluses or champion which are pre gapped and will stay correct for thousands of miles. also worth checking if the air filter has ever been changed or the fuel filter as these often get overlooked.

All spark plugs will come gapped from the factory but before fitting you should always refer to the spec needed for the vehicle, then measure the gaps with feeler blades to make sure they are accurate. You have no idea how many gaps get closed up during manufacture/packaging/transportation.

Okay, I've replaced the spark plugs & leads today, as a last attempt before taking it to Ford. After a 10 mile test drive, I'm pleased to report everything is back to normal, no loss of power, no shuddering, car idle's and drives smoothly now, consistent speed through traffic. These faults had become a daily occurrence affecting every trip I made, so I'm glad to see the back of them!

Also worth mentioning the car was only 13,000 miles in, I didn't think it'd need new plugs/leads but they've definitely made a huge difference to the feel of the whole car. Good as new, so now I think it's time to give it a wash and fall in love again :)

HTH

• Like 1

Okay, I've replaced the spark plugs & leads today, as a last attempt before taking it to Ford. After a 10 mile test drive, I'm pleased to report everything is back to normal, no loss of power, no shuddering, car idle's and drives smoothly now, consistent speed through traffic. These faults had become a daily occurrence affecting every trip I made, so I'm glad to see the back of them!

Also worth mentioning the car was only 13,000 miles in, I didn't think it'd need new plugs/leads but they've definitely made a huge difference to the feel of the whole car. Good as new, so now I think it's time to give it a wash and fall in love again :)

HTH

By any chance, was your problem similar to my problem I posted here:http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/25053-a-serious-problem-with-my-fiesta/

And if so, do you think spark plug replacement could solve it?

By any chance, was your problem similar to my problem I posted here:http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/25053-a-serious-problem-with-my-fiesta/

And if so, do you think spark plug replacement could solve it?

Unfortunately I'm not sure what your problem could be, although the symptoms are similar, Diesels don't use spark plugs to ignite the fuel/air mixture.

If your only having problems while the engine is cold, it could be to do with glow plugs (if the fiesta has them fitted, I'm not sure)

I'd suggest you take it back in to ford, hassle them til they find the solution.

Anyone fancy changing my cars spark plugs?? :lol: I wouldn't have a clue :unsure:

IMG_20110715_200609.jpg

The yellow arrows point to where the spark plugs are, the red one points to the 4 ignition leads.

To change the spark plugs remove the rubber cap, then use a plug socket to remove it like a bolt.

Replace the new ones the same way, and replace the rubber caps.

If you don't have a plug socket they can be picked up fairly cheaply, and will fit with the tools in a standard socket set.

My plugs cost me about £20 and I don't remember the brand unfortunately. The shop where you get them from should know which you need anyway.

If you change the leads too, make sure you replace them in the same order they were taken out, or you'll change the firing sequence!

Just as a side note, engine still chokes, and loses power occasionally, but it still drives and idles smoothly since the change.

excellent guidelines from MRC89.

just one tip if you're trying it for yourself for the first time (as I suspect you might be) - sketch a diagram of which leads go into which connectors, as it can be a pain if you put them on the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on my fiesta, as my dad works at Ford, Dunton I was allowed to take it in to be checked. They eventually re-mapped the car and i haven't really had this problem since. My fiesta got to the point of a misfire so I would recommend if you can do this, do it. I'm not sure of the cost as my dad was kind enough to sort it all out for me. Ford will usually say they can't feel this problem. In my mind it is just to save them time.

If you're changing the ignition leads I would suggest doing them one at a time i.e.

• remove one old one
  • put first new one on
  • remove second old one
  • etc...

That way you shouldn't be able to get them wrong! :unsure:

• 6 months later...

Hi all what suggestions do you have or have done to fix this problem ? I have now started getting this on my mk7 & have had it serviced changed the plugs,oil & filters & oil obviously.

It is intermitent at the minute but is still annoying so any help to fix the problem would be great. I have rang ford about a ecu update but they told me they cannot tell if it needs 1 untill they plug it in which they want £60 to check.

Any help appreciated.