Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Leaking In Spark Plug Hole

Shiplu

Hi Guys, Any idea from where Pink Coolant is very slowly Leaking and filling up spark plug hole in 2005 1.6 Ford Focus Zetec Climate Auto? Could it be rocker (valve) cover gasket? Or something elese? This is causing rust in cylinder head where spark plug fits. Ccan it lead to a serious problem?

Not sure where the core plugs are on the Focus, as Ive never had to look, but I remember on my old Puma, these were between the spark plugs and had a tendancy to leak.

Its best to remove and replace, as they are not likely to be tightened. Also, you may have to get the local garage to do it, as they can be a real mare to undo.

are you sure its coolant? there is known issues with the washers leaking and allowing rain water in..

EDIT: just realised you said pink coolant..duhh.

Hope its not a cracked head :(

are you sure its coolant? there is known issues with the washers leaking and allowing rain water in..

EDIT: just realised you said pink coolant..duhh.

Hope its not a cracked head :(

Ya i know about the water jet issue and i have made a DIY engine cover, but its not the washer jet leak, its pink coolant that worries me!

Not sure where the core plugs are on the Focus, as Ive never had to look, but I remember on my old Puma, these were between the spark plugs and had a tendancy to leak.

Its best to remove and replace, as they are not likely to be tightened. Also, you may have to get the local garage to do it, as they can be a real mare to undo.

What is core plugs between the spark plugs? I think there is something between two plugs on each side and looks really rusty and have more water on it.

What is core plugs between the spark plugs? I think there is something between two plugs on each side and looks really rusty and have more water on it.

Its usually a round silver bolt/screw that is about an inch in diameter, with a hexagonal hole in the top for a large allen key to fit into it.

• Like 1

as stupid as it sounds, pour a bit of coca cola onto a sponge and leave it to sit over the rusty bit for a while, then wipe off and pour cola straight onto it, that should loosen it up, and take off enough rust to give you more of an idea as to what it is!

I havent heard of coolant in the plug holes so I hope its nothing too serious, hopefully a case of a clumsly last owner who stood a bottle of coolant on the engine block and it spilled onto the head and drained into the plugs?

as stupid as it sounds, pour a bit of coca cola onto a sponge and leave it to sit over the rusty bit for a while, then wipe off and pour cola straight onto it, that should loosen it up, and take off enough rust to give you more of an idea as to what it is!

I havent heard of coolant in the plug holes so I hope its nothing too serious, hopefully a case of a clumsly last owner who stood a bottle of coolant on the engine block and it spilled onto the head and drained into the plugs?

Its amazing what you can do with Coca Cola. Does make you wonder what it does to your insides though.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1.6lx that had the same problem; it was the core plugs that were corroded, they cost 87p each from Ford and took a garage to 2 hours to fix; replaced my ht leads and spark plugs and blasted the car on the motorway problem fixed

• 7 years later...

I have the same problem with my 1.6 focus.

Where is the pink coolant coming from? Don't understand why it would have anything to do with the core plugs, surely it would be leaking engine oil from there not coolant?

Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, Andy Cartwright said:

I have the same problem with my 1.6 focus.

Where is the pink coolant coming from? Don't understand why it would have anything to do with the core plugs, surely it would be leaking engine oil from there not coolant?

Thanks in advance!

How pink is it? 

Could be Patina which looks pink but not, 

Are you noticing a drop in coolant resivour or white showing on the inside of the oil cap?

Hi Lenny, it's definitely pink.

I read all the comments about water getting into the spark plug wells and presumed that's what it was.

I had a garage replace the spark plugs a couple of weeks ago, all was fine until the engine light came on again last night, I pulled out the HT leads and sure enough its full of liquid again.

I stuck a white rag down into the spark plug well and the liquid is 100% pink :-(

This is actually the 3rd time in 2 years that I've had this problem, the first garage I took it to snapped a spark plug in the engine block which ended up being very costly!

Thanks,

Andy

I have noticed a drop in coolant level this morning yeah, I'll check the oil cap on my lunch break.

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy Cartwright said:

Don't understand why it would have anything to do with the core plugs, surely it would be leaking engine oil from there not coolant?

Core plugs are used to seal the holes where the supports for the cores used in casting the coolant spaces inside the block and head come out so they're nothing to do with the lubrication system..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjt said:

Core plugs are used to seal the holes where the supports for the cores used in casting the coolant spaces inside the block and head come out so they're nothing to do with the lubrication system..

Thanks Mike, I'm no engineer but I'm starting to understand this now!  ;-)

• Like 1

I managed to get a couple of photos so you guys can see whats going on.

It looks like the garage have replaced some of the core plugs last time it was there.

IMG_5646.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

are u winding us up?

one picture is of the oil filler cap?  if it just had the oil changed and the variety of oil used was coloured pink....

water is water,

water with pink antifreeze is still very much like water but a little more slippery

engine oil is engine oil

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lenny asked if there was white showing on the inside of the oil cap.

I haven't had the oil changed.

The engine coolant is pink, I haven't used any antifreeze yet this year.

39 minutes ago, Andy Cartwright said:

Lenny asked if there was white showing on the inside of the oil cap.

I haven't had the oil changed.

The engine coolant is pink, I haven't used any antifreeze yet this year.

Has the coolant level dropped any further? 

If not then I wouldn't worry about the head gasket, 

Just ensure the windscreen washer jets are sealed under the bonnet using silicone sealant, same advice to all 1.6 petrol focus owners otherwise water drips in to the engine which isint cool

• Like 1