Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Car Temp Guage

Nay ZS

My car is due for its second service on Friday.

A slight niggle I've had is that when im driving and stopping in traffic for a few minutes the temp guage goes off on one as if its getting hot air from the engine.

An example was on Monday. When moving the air temp was showing 29 degrees. Once I got to slower moving traffic the temp gauge was up at over 37 degrees. Didn't drop back down again until I was doing 30mph plus for about 5 minutes.

Same happens in winter too and it doesn't matter if its day or night.

Is this an issue with all Fiestas or is my temp sensor hanging loose or faulty?

Thanks for your help.

my car does exactly the same, when stuck in traffic the temp goes to 39degrees but as soon as I start moving it goes down slowly

Ford have cunningly overcome this problem in the mk 7 by not putting temp gauge on the dash!

I think they both mean the ambient temperature readout on the dash, not the engine temperature as they both have MK7's.

Never noticed any problems with mine.

...ooops!

29 degrees in Derbyshire, blimey

As there isn't one where and how do I find the temp of my engine?

As there isn't one where and how do I find the temp of my engine?

Think you answered your own question - there isn't one so you can't!

the mk7 have a engine coolant temp read out, but unfortunately you can read in the service menu only :(

My MK7 does exactly the same... 22 degrees C yesterday sat in traffic on the M56, then in the space of 10 mins went up to 31. Once I started moving, the read out reduced to about 24... At 9am I'm sure it was still lying...

need to move the sensor, i believe it is too close to the coolant radiator...

• 3 months later...

This happened to me this morning .... temp gauge was sitting at 10 and then after sitting in traffic for 5 minutes it was up to 23 degrees. When I got driving again it went back down quickly. Did we ever decide if this was normal or not ?? Was quite worried so came on here and did a search. Glad it's happened to other people as well, but still worried that there is something wrong. Thanks.

My car is due for its second service on Friday.

A slight niggle I've had is that when im driving and stopping in traffic for a few minutes the temp guage goes off on one as if its getting hot air from the engine.

yup! there's your answer :) the sensor will also pick up heat from the road or the exhaust of the car in front.

As with all cars its only supposed to be a guide as to what the outside temperature is and only really works well when moving. The sensors main aim is to know when the temperature drops near to freezing, when might cause driving problems, which then alerts you via the 'bong' and snow symbol.

Excellent, I can stop worrying about that now then. Thank you. Oh, don't worry, I had the "bong" a few times last week as a couple of days times we were down at 2 degrees up here. Luckily it's warmer (and windier) again now tho.

I've been sat in traffic before tho and never really noticed the gauge going up, I just wondered what was so special about this morning !!!

• 2 years later...

I had a different problem on my 2013 Fiesta...I didn't have any temp display, just - - and the frost light was on all the time plus no 'stop start' feature. Since the car was new to me, I reckoned the 'outside air temp. sensor' might be missing. Looking at the underside of the car (from a pit) there was a loose plug hanging down near the underside of the screenwasher reservoir.

Ford quoted me £60 for a new sensor, but when it turned up, it was not the right one. They insisted it was the only one....Not so, it transpired the 'right one' (the one that suited the empty plug) was entirely different and cost just over £3!! For anyone that wants one, the part number is finis 5090031. I believe it's incorrectly attributed as an 'air con. sensor' on Ford's own parts list. It only took 3 weeks to sort this out! It took 5 mins to fit (once the car was jacked up and 'propped')! And yes I do get high readings in traffic but I doubt if I placed it in the optimum position.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club