Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 Starting Problem

SkaterStan

Hi all,

I've got a 1.4 Petrol Mk1 CL Model. For the last few months there has been a lag between turning the ignition key and the starter motor turning. Now it's never been a problem and it still starts first time. However, recently it has needed a few attempts to get it going. I'd like to get it sorted before it does become a proper problem.

Any ideas on the most probable cause. My girlfriend has the car at the moment so I need a list of tests to try at the weekend.

Cheers

Martin

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/starter.html

Starting system problems

If when you are trying to start the car, you hear the starter cranking as usually, but the car doesn't start, then the problem is most likely not with the starting system - check our Car no-start troubleshooting guide.

If when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position and nothing happens, or all you hear is just a click, or the starter cranks very slow then you may have a problem with one of the component of the starting system. Most often, it's the battery or the starter motor itself.

I would test the voltage of the battery or get someone equiped to do it. You could clean the battery terminals if any gunge or corrosion there. A bit of sand paper is ideal for removing corrosion but wipe gunge away first obviously.

Cheers, I'll stick a voltmeter over the battery at the weekend. Any idea on the voltage that indicates a dud battery?

also check you charging voltage of your alternator to the battery with the engine running should be about 13.5v at least then turn all your lights ect on and make sure the voltage increases. + tightness of alternator belt. check the voltage at the starter terminals key on.then check with the engine cranking and the connections on the starter are tight. and i would have someone at a garage load test your battery but you will need to fully charge your battery for this test to be done :)

If the engine is turning over ok then i would doubt its the battery, if the battery is at fault then it will turn over slowly or wont do anything.

Also sticking a voltmeter on the battery is no means of testing it, you ideally need to have it load tested.

cheers

stef

Agreed! I would say you really need to check the alternator and starter, but get the battery checked professionally. Some places will do load tests for free...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club