Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Engine Malfunction Warning

Northernbob

I resort to this Forum in desperation that finally I can get an answer to a serious fault on my 2009 Ford focus which has been occurring now for over 6 months with numerous ford garages being unable to find/fix the fault.

My issue revolves around a random periodic Engine malfunction warning light coming on the dashboard that corresponds with a loss of turbo giving rise to situations of climbing hills whilst overtaking lorries to suddenly find I have no acceleration and hence start to fall back in speed and hence back to the traffic behind me.

This has now happened several times! I have taken the car which is still under warranty into a garage local to my work place as well as another in Sussex whilst away for a weekend, but they have found nothing wrong and can only advise me to bring it in when the fault condition occurs so they can analyse it! alas to date this has not occurred at a time when any of Fords garages have been open!

One thing to note is that if the car is shut down and re-started the warning goes away and then the turbo is fully back in operation???

I once had the RAC look at it and they pulled off the following error codes but for whatever reason ford dont recognize these or wont offer an opinion? (Po219 and po299 error codes)

Any one out there shed any light on the subject,

many thanks

Rob

P0299 is a turbo underboost code,which means your turbo is not getting the required boost, it could be the EGR valve sticking or gunged up,could also be the "Control Boost Solenoid Valve" playing up also check for a leak on turbo pipework and intercooler pipes.

P0219 is an engine over speed warning

interesting thanks, and either or of these would be enough to cause the malfunction light to come on? and why would the ford boys not look into those exact same issues???

strange

• 4 months later...

Any info on how this panned out? I've got the exact same problem by the sound of it.

• 2 years later...

hi, same prob, checkd over many forums, the dpf seems 2 b the main prob, itll fell like egr valve, wen i bought my car i had probs right away on 55000 miles, i was tld get the dpf off, as it causes so many probs, car shud be remapped aswell meaning better fuel eco, if you renew dpf ur talkin £1000, but 2 take it off and remap engine £350, welcome 2 the dreded focus, hope this helps

not dreaded focus,,, lack of maintenance. our focus is lovely n neva had any major probs in time owned it... if thats what you think chop it in dude....

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi there I got same prob engine malfunction light is on and lack of power I have taken it to my local garage and they have plugged two machines in and there are no faults. Ford can't fit me in for another two weeks ( ? ). Have cleaned out egr valve but it's still the same. Any other ideas on what it can be ? 1.6 tdci 2008 focus

It could be a split turbo hose or intercooler pipe, that's where I would be starting at least.

Hi there

Thanks for that I will have a look at both of them tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Thanks for that I will have a look at both of them tomorrow.

Hi I have taken it into ford and they said it was the glow plugs. All is ok now

• Like 1

nice and simple! I bet expensive too though!

• 10 months later...

My focus 1.6tdci intermittently went into limp mode over the space of 2 years everytime putting a code out on my eBay OBD2 reader(£5) of p0299 turbo underboost, I took it to a local garage who couldn't find anything wrong, took it to a dealership expecting the worst(a new turbo and a massive bill! ) they plugged it in and found the fuel filter was full and needed changing, £170 for the diagnostics and fix :) my advice is if you get these symptoms, change the diesel filter first as a local garage will do it cheaply could save you being ripped off for a new turbo!

• Like 1

£170 for changing a fuel filter!!! Its true the focus 1.6 TDCi filters are expensive but a reasonable independent garage should do this for £50 incl parts, often not charging for the diagnostics. I had this problem last summer with engine light and limp mode, so first tried the fuel filter (£50) then the glow plugs (£95) which fixed it. Had the EGR blanked and electronically deleted for good measure and to save future problems..

• Like 1

Well it was a stealership! But was worth the outlay as I now know the symptoms and I'm going to change it every 2 years (albeit at my local garage for a fraction of the cost) would do it myself but I've heard first hand of how difficult it is to bleed the system! I wonder how many good turbos have been changed because of this error code?!

Any problems with engine codes or the computer side of things I would go straight to Avon Tuning near Bristol (not too far from you) - they have all the diagnostics equipment and know how to sort it out, plus really good customer service with it. As a plus point they also sort out all issues with DPF, EGR and now offer Terraclean. BTW I am not associated with them but just a repeat customer.

• 10 months later...

Update,  symptoms came back again so got the fuel filter changed again and tank cleaned out,  but alas still no joy,  finally took it to a local garage recommended to me who. Could not find anything wrong until he opened the air box.   I'd been changing the oil and filters myself for 3years but not the air filter which was now clogged up causing oil to be drawn out of the engine onto the maf sensor clogging it up! Lesson learned! Always change the air filter every year! Oops! 

Btw WTS garage Swansea Fforestfach Cliffy the owner is simply amazing,  sorted my focus and I just took my Zafira in to get the Dpf sorted and remap.. Usual regen problems billowing grey smoke £360

• 2 years later...

Ford Focus 1.8tdci,48000 miles onoy...All of a sudden while driving engine be malfunction light came on and it he engine sounded smothered...after switching it off and on a couple of times it disappeared...the diagnostic showed no fault...has only happened once ...Any ideas what the fault maybe

• 3 months later...

Had similar issues with my 2009 TDCi Focus - engine malfunction light would show and car would enter limp mode if I put my foot down in third gear and tried to really rev. After replacing the intake pipework to the turbo (£20) as it had a small tear in from previously over-tightened jubilee clips, turbo was suddenly sucking in a tonne of dirty air and the turbo was having a horrible time, I also changed out the fuel filter (£40), which when held over a plastic jug a disgusting amount of grit and black lumps dribbled out - I then primed the new filter with fresh diesel as well as a shot of Redex to clean any build-up from the injectors. Since then car feels entirely different to drive and no more issues.

• 9 months later...

My 2011 Mk2 Focus (1.6 TDCI) has just gone 'limp' after setting off from my house, failing to reach 35 mph unless going down a hill. Have phoned a garage who in January replaced the fuel filter after the car just would not start and hoping to get it resolved tomorrow. Will report back if there's anything of interest - and price. Hoping it isn't the turbo or DPF. 

• 2 weeks later...

**update** finally cured! 

Followed the link below and noticed my turbo actuator was bouncing up and down a few mm whilst running too, bought the part from amazon for £45, half an hour to fit, actuator now not bouncing on tick over and now finally!! Fixed, only taken about 6 years!! 

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-focus-diesel/492829-p0299-code-underboost-1-6-tdci-2009-a.html

Pierburg 7.00968.04.0 Pressure... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F3WVK4U?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

20200910_094321.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, RichardAce said:

**update** finally cured! 

Followed the link below and noticed my turbo actuator was bouncing up and down a few mm whilst running too, bought the part from amazon for £45, half an hour to fit, actuator now not bouncing on tick over and now finally!! Fixed, only taken about 6 years!! 

Now that's some perseverance! :biggrin:  Thanks for the update!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It’s more than likely what’s called a vaccum leak if the engine light doesn’t come on. It’s a leak in the turbo air intake.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, sorry if this isn't that relevant on this thread but I'm having some trouble finding any information to help and would really appreciate some pointers if anyone can make sense of the following. 

I have a 2011 Mk2 focus 1.6tdci

I've had the engine malfunction warning which cut out the engine and wouldn't restart. Took it to a garage where they said the fuel pressure was too low so fitted a new fuel filter to start with but didn't work. Then a new High pressure fuel rail sensor which also didn't allow the car to start. While they were in at that they cleaned the Egr and all looked OK! They then started unplugging sensors and trying to start the car.. With the egr unplugged the car gets fuel, starts and drives but as soon as its plugged back in it dies. 

I don't understand how the egr can cause the fuel not to get to the engine but the garage has now told me to replace the electrical part of the egr as the next step. Any ideas? Anything else that could be affecting it? It's an older car now and I don't want to keep throwing parts at it and hope for the best! Thanks for any help! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club