Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Is Sputtering

fiesta_lad

Hi all i drive a fiesta mk5 1.3i endure e engine on a 51 plate petrol i've just got in my car now after it been standing scence 9pm last night drove down the road abit and i have notice the car is sputtering abit when i go to put my foot down now the car is sputtering comeing up to 89,000 miles and just been service few months ago scence the last service done a few hundred miles.

Now i've just fitted a second hand starter motor last week car starts perfect done quite a good run scence then everything ok it's just today when it's started to sputter now i am thinking could be bad spark plus,coil pack, blocked fuel fliter so i am just wondering does anyone know what else it could be.

Cheers alan.

Little update took all the spark plugs out cleaned them all they all looked fine to me make sure they had the correct gap but what i did notice spark plug lead number one had like a brown burnt mark on the bottom of the lead were it connects with the spark plug. Can't understand what it could be the car is ticking over fine.

IMG00170-20110705-1649.jpg

This is spark plug need number one

ht lead does look a bit past its best. what colour were the ends of the plugs?

ht lead does look a bit past its best. what colour were the ends of the plugs?

[/q

The end of the plugs were ok sliver beacause the plugs are new but the hd leads number one was like a brown burnt colour which is the above picture number 2,3 hd lead were fine but number 4 lead was like a brown soot i am thinking it could be the fuel fliter if so how easy is it to change one of them.

were the plugs fitted before or after it started spluttering? are these set to the correct gap?

I would start by changing the HT leads. I would have said a partially blocked fuel filter would affect the engine more at high revs under load.. It certainly wont hurt to change it though. they are fairly easy to do, a couple of plastic quick connectors on either end but the filter may be in an awkward position

were the plugs fitted before or after it started spluttering? are these set to the correct gap?

I would start by changing the HT leads. I would have said a partially blocked fuel filter would affect the engine more at high revs under load.. It certainly wont hurt to change it though. they are fairly easy to do, a couple of plastic quick connectors on either end but the filter may be in an awkward position

It started spluttering after the the plugs were fitted but these were fitted a good few months ago and everything been fine untill today.

I've just been priceing ht leads and they are really exspensive i don't know if £49 for a set is true but to me that is alot. Also the spluttering only happens when i go into secong gear and put me foot down a little it's werid beacause i done a fair bit off running around yesterday and everything was fine and today it's not lol.

Update driveing this eveing and the engine management light has come on so getting the aa out to have a look in the morning.

At least the light being on might indicate what the problem is or where it lies..

Hope the AA can help you in the morning mate

At least the light being on might indicate what the problem is or where it lies..

Hope the AA can help you in the morning mate

Hopefully it don't go off and hopefully what ever it is don't cost to much i live in hope :)

Further update aa won't come out unless i pay them £89 because i only joined with them last night i don't have the money to get it hooked up to a diagnostic machine to find out the problem so it's balls up :angry:

Thought i would of had more replys to this but if it was a car cleaning post or something daft propbailly would have had about 100 replys now :huh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club