Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Judder when pulling away

somerton

I have a bought a 2003 Fusion 3 durashift and after about an hours driving i get a bad juddering when it pulls away from a standing start.

The dealer has replaced the clutch and gearbox and done several updates, under warranty, to the software but still it persists.

It only happens for a few seconds from a standing start and only after the car has been driven for some time and is worse if it is loaded.

Normal use about town is fine until it really warms up and then pulling away at roundabouts ,traffic lights etc is a nightmare.

Any one else had anything similar or have any idea what is wrong, as the dealer is not exactly confidence inspiring and the warranty is running out.

it could be a engine mount thats loose or worn.

They say that the engine mountings are OK but the problem is that it only occurs after about an hours driving so it is not easy for them to check them when all is hot.

Although i recently did a three hour journey and the juddering was there afterwards at every stop until it all cooled down.

I have been told before that as both clutch and gearbox were replaced, not for this problem, the only other options are the engine mounts or the drive shafts but the dealer insists that they are all OK.

It is going in again on Wednesday but i am not hopeful that they will cure it.

it could also be an engine sensor beginning to break down when hot.

• 2 months later...

I had this problem with a rover 400. Only it happened when it was either hot or cold. Changed the plugs and coil pack an it sorted it

I had this problem with a rover 400. Only it happened when it was either hot or cold. Changed the plugs and coil pack an it sorted it

Thanks for this, it answers the question I joined this forum to ask!

Porterlaurie

My ford fusion does something similar. Whenpulling away or sometimes changing gear you get a noticable loss of acceleration, with the insinct being to put your foot down but when it kicks in again you race off!! Again it seems to only really happen when warm. We had accelerator sensors replaced but that hasnt solved the problem - so please anyone got any other ideas?

• 1 month later...
My ford fusion does something similar. Whenpulling away or sometimes changing gear you get a noticable loss of acceleration, with the insinct being to put your foot down but when it kicks in again you race off!! Again it seems to only really happen when warm. We had accelerator sensors replaced but that hasnt solved the problem - so please anyone got any other ideas?

Does the engine rev like crazy then the revs drop back to normal???? if so, its same problem i had with my Fusion3, basically your has gone and possibly even flywheel, i had both replaced and it works like a dream again.

Pleased to say that my problem finally seems to have been cured.

The dealer, on Ford's advice, replaced a gearbox sensor(s) and also the clutch (again) and it changed it straight away.

Just hope that all the banging has not done any long term damage to anything. :D :D

• 1 month later...
Do you know what sensor(s) were involved.

My judder has resurfaced although its not as bad as it was I'm now considering a new clutch etc.

What dealer did you use, if its not too far away I think it would be a good idea to use them too.

It was John Grose of Lowestoft in Suffolk.

I have no idea which sensors they replaced but it worked.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

I decided to put up with the occasional knock rather than spend lots on gearbox parts.

Last month I replaced to coil pack (from previous posters advise) and since then it has been perfect, even running on regular grade petrol.

For anyone who has similar knocking and banging when pulling away try this first... It only cost me £25.00 from Ebay.

Car seems to be livelier and the gear change smoother too.

This really is EXCELLENT NEWS!!! :)

Congratulations, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Regards, Jonny

Hi there. Same problem with my fusion 1.4 durashift. Judders when pulling away but usually only when the car has been on the go for half an hour or so. Tried the plugs , coil pack and ht lead route but the problem persists. Don't want to throw much more money at it until i can pinpoint the problem. The changing sensors solution may do the job but i could do with more info if anyone can help. Thanks all.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club