Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Serious Problem With My Fiesta

Hey guys,

I have a 2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6TD Titanium 3dr with only 23k miles and for 2 and a half years it has been great but for a week or so I have been having serious problems. Initially, the powertrain warning light would come on intermittently along with a engine malfunction message. Then I noticed that the car started to stall on me with alarming regularity. I took the car to Ford and they told me they reprogrammed the car, and it went fine again for a couple of days.

Then the car stalled 3 times in quick succession leaving me broken down in the middle of a roundabout. The same powertrain light and engine malfunction light would now appear but also the engine oil pressure warning lamp. I again took the car to Ford, and after a day of testing, they gave it back to me and told me they found no faults. I was extremely angry and frustrated.

Then today, and was in 2nd gear turning into a housing estate and the car stalled, with the powertrain light, engine malfunction message and engine oil pressure light coming on but now the battery lamp was also lighting up. I restarted the car and left it sitting parked in neutral and noticed something very strange. If I pushed the clutch in fully, i noticed the car intermittently revving itself to around 1.5RPM, and if I let the clutch out fully the car would intermittently decrease the revs to around 0.5RPM and nearly stall itself. I managed to capture it on video here:

Ironically, as soon as I stopped recording, the car stalled itself and just the engine oil pressure and battery lamps came on like this:

imag0365x.jpg

I badly need help with this as I no longer feel the car performs safely or consistently and Ford appear unable to solve the problem.

Take the video and the car to another dealer, see what they say.

It is a motability car so I think I'm limited to the Ford dealer that I got the car from. Although I think I might check to see if I can take it to any Ford dealership that is a motability partner.

It is a motability car so I think I'm limited to the Ford dealer that I got the car from. Although I think I might check to see if I can take it to any Ford dealership that is a motability partner.

Did you show them your video?

Did you show them your video?

I took the car to the Ford garage this morning, and in typical fashion, the problem was very minor when the service manager looked at it. He said it was probably due to me having the air con on, which is a total joke as I have never had this problem with the air con on in the previous 2 and a half years and I certainly didnt have the air con on in the video I recorded. They had no courtesy cars available so I have to chance it until Monday morning. He believes me that I am genuinely having problems but said the issue is that they cannot recreate the problem when they have the car. He said the car drove perfectly for them when they tested it for 2 days last week. I have sent them an email of the video and told them to make sure the service manager see's it. Thankfully I am off work next week so I told them to hold onto the car for as long as possible to ensure they witness the problems. I have never been so frustrated and I have lost confidence in the car.

I filled my car up with diesel at the Ford garage on Friday, and have not noticed any problems since so I think I'll not bother taking it back to Ford unless the problem resurfaces. Perhaps it was due to bad diesel?

I filled my car up with diesel at the Ford garage on Friday, and have not noticed any problems since so I think I'll not bother taking it back to Ford unless the problem resurfaces. Perhaps it was due to bad diesel?

can I just ask, which brand of diesel do you think was causing the problem?

• 2 years later...

Hi just wanted to find out if the problem ever went away? I have exactly the same problem on my 2009 fiesta and its driving me mad!! Do u know what update ford did to the car?

• 4 weeks later...

NEVER WILL BUY ANOTHER FORD FIESTA...NEVER EVER AGAIN!!! Our 2011 Ford Fiesta S Model has been nothing but problems. Power Train and Transmission and CV Joints. Its cost over $2,000 dollars in repairs over the past couple years and the car is still malfunctioning. Those cars are a piece of junk. Get rid of it!!!

I highly doubt a Germany built fiesta would cause as much trouble as an American or Mexican built one to be honest, ford of Europe cars tend to be slightly better than the rest.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

Car quality and reliability is totally dependant on the standard of the production plant.

Also to besmirch the name of a car because of one 'Friday Build' is a bit extreme.

Tbh, if the car was that bad surely the warranty would have covered it?

Sorry to hear of the problems you're having with your ford.

I used to have a Saxo that did this intermittently.. The problem was quite serious as I found out when the car died and started smoking on me in the middle of a crossroads, luckily it was 1am and not many people were around!

The issue in that case was a blown head gasket, I'm hoping its not the same in this case but I had all the same symptoms (idle used to go between 800/1500rpm) warning lights on etc.. I'm not saying that will be the problem with your car as its relatively new however its worth a check to see if you've got the correct amount of oil in your car +/or if there is a leak in the engine/rad as this can cause rather costly repairs!

Let us know how you get on pal :)

Perhaps the switch on the clutch pedal that tells the engine the clutch is in use had become dirty or broke, I know this helps the engine to drop revs if you push the clutch in, although I'm talking petrol I suppose diesels have this aswell.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club