Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central locking problems - possible solution

focustim

Hi all, 

I tried rubbing vaseline over the locking mechanism on my drivers door... had exactly the same problem on a previous 2008 zetec-s and now my 2007 ST. Touch wood, the problem hasn't arisen since :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

just changed my ECU on a Focus 2008, and central locking doesnt work ,will this solution apply to mine as well ? Thanks

How would i rest the central locking if i have push button start, please.

On 14/12/2008 at 8:12 PM, getfocusworking said:

As you say this does seem to be the best idea to clear alot of problems with the central locking,

it makes you think how much money is made by Ford just out of a few minutes work.

I do not know if the same time delay applies for a Ford Focus but battery replacement on Ford Mondeo allows you only 15 seconds to relpace a new battery before the system shuts off from the key

then that would need the same reprograming as you have detailed.

Until the internet started these reprograming details where never known and never able to get hold of.

I bet these main dealers curse these forums now.

Good luck with the car.

Thanks so much for your advice on sorting out my non-active central door locking. I tried the 4 turns of the key and then pressed the unlock button on my key fob and the system started working again like a dream. I don't know what happened to my car (a Ford Fiesta Mk6 1.4 TDCi) central locking, but the key fob would just not open the door. It worked ok when I put the key in the door. I tried everything from checking the fuse to the self test procedure of the GEM. I even changed the battery in the key fob but to no avail. In hindsight I think when I changed the battery, it  was out of the key for too long, so the code needed to be reset. A big thank you once again for your advice - everything is back to normal now.  

On 19/06/2016 at 7:48 PM, cem1965 said:

How would i reset the central locking if i have push button start, please?

I was also wondering that. If you press the button without the clutch (or brake, if appropriate) depressed that turns on the ignition and a second press turns it off so maybe you have to do that four times. That's just a guess though.

• 3 months later...
On 13.12.2008 at 5:29 PM, focustim said:

I've read loads of threads on here about central locking issues so thought I'd share what I've learned from extensive google searches.

My central locking was slightly intermittent and then it decided to stop altogether. I didn't have any problems with it locking by itself or the boot opening on its own, but my solution may help these problems. I thought it was my battery so I replaced it, but it still didn't work. I then found this info about resetting/reprogramming the central locking:

Insert key into ignition and turn to ignition and back 4 times in quick succession.

You will then hear a chime which indicates you are in the central locking programming mode.

remove key and press the lock and unlock (although I only needed to press the lock) button on the remote.

You will then here another chime and it should be done.

My central locking works great now with no issues as yet.

Hope it helps, it saved me £45+VAT for a new remote and £68 + VAT my local ford dealer were going to charge me to program it (they probably just use the method given above!). Perhaps this should be a sticky along with info about the central locking fuse and where to find it.

Ha thanks it work for my focus.

• 7 months later...

Thank you so much... Central locking fixed in under a minute.. Garage had it hours.. Then I read you post.. Works perfectly.. Thanks a million 

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2008 at 5:29 PM, focustim said:

I've read loads of threads on here about central locking issues so thought I'd share what I've learned from extensive google searches.

My central locking was slightly intermittent and then it decided to stop altogether. I didn't have any problems with it locking by itself or the boot opening on its own, but my solution may help these problems. I thought it was my battery so I replaced it, but it still didn't work. I then found this info about resetting/reprogramming the central locking:

Insert key into ignition and turn to ignition and back 4 times in quick succession.

You will then hear a chime which indicates you are in the central locking programming mode.

remove key and press the lock and unlock (although I only needed to press the lock) button on the remote.

Hope it helps, it saved me £45+VAT for a new remote and £68 + VAT my local ford dealer were going to charge me to program it (they probably just use the method given above!). Perhaps this should be a sticky along with info about the central locking fuse and where to find it.

I Tried this with the key backwards and forwards 4 times. I then fiddled with the remote locking and unlocking a few times. Then did it manually and Eureka!  Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2015 at 4:09 PM, Gizza said:

This is my first post so I hope it will be useful

I have a Focus ST 2007 pre facelift both doors would not lock/unlock correctly and the indicator lights did not flash to say the doors had locked or unlocked. Strangley the handbrake light was also on all the time and the temp gage also stopped working and the indicators using the indicator stalk would flash as normal but no clicking sound to say they where working. Tried taking the battery of for a few mins. no luck there. After scratching my head and backside for a while I found this fix on Utube. Underneath the fuse box passenger side under the felt trim (no need to open fuse box) are two large plugs with a securing clip and the red one had become completely unattached to its socket put this back in and closed the clip (battery off) and hey it all worked fine again no problems. worth a look as I am sure this will apply to most Focus as the wiring loom would be mostly the same.

hi, my son just came round with his Focus with exactly the same problem. He was asking if it was best to take it to the local Ford dealer as it seemed such a random but complicated electrical fault. Thought i would check on here first to see if there was any suggestions. 👍

So a huge thank you, you have probably saved him a good few pounds!

• 1 year later...

2007 Fiesta Ghia.  

What can I say, this worked brilliantly a post from 2008 works in 2020!!  Key in, turn to point 2 in the ignition barrel 4 times, hear the beep and then lock and unlock the car.  Reset the system and central locking working like a dream.  PS you will have to do both keys.  Thank you. 2007 Fiesta Ghia.  What can I say, this worked brilliantly.  Key in, turn to point 2 in the ignition barrel 4 times, hear the beep and then lock and unlock the car.  Reset the system and central locking working like a dream.

PS you will have to do both keys.  

Thank you. Thank you 

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have Ford Fiesta from 2007 facelift with 2 original plain keys without buttons for remote lock/unlock. I purchased flip key with remote control abilities 433mhz with 4D63 transponder 40bit. When I turn the ignition on/off 4 times the car makes the sound and enters the programing mode, but when I press a button from my new remote key during the programing process nothing happens, no sound. Is it necessary for me to already have working remote key to be able to program a new one? or I ordered wrong key? can anybody help please?

• 3 months later...

Hi,we have a 2015 Focus,what is the sequence for resetting the central locking on this please,as the above does not seem to work-ie no beep and does nothing.Many thanks in advance.Tony.

is the stuff above just re initialising the key with the immobiliser, and really has absolutely nothing to do with the the central locking?   

(of course if the key is confused there would be a knock on with how it interacts with the cars features - but the door locking is fine, it's the key that is playing up, not the door locks)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the information above. but my main problem is, for this 4 times turn the key..., after that there is no chime or beep sound. what would be the problem?

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 Ford Fusion and I also have door locking problems. This seems to happen every now and again. If I click the lock button on the key, all the doors (including the boot) lock but then immediately unlock. I tried turning the key on and off as suggested and I here a beep. If I then click the unlock button on the key I get the beep. But the problem still persist.

I'm also getting other random faults on different occassions. For example the CD player plays, but no sound comes out but the radio works, sometimes we get a red alarm saying the passenger door is open when it isn't.

Do you think this could be a CPU problem? - we took it to a garage where they told me they couldn't find anything wrong and then charged me £20 for the privilegel!!  - as soon as we got the car home, the same problems persisted.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.

5 hours ago, X-Bumble said:

sometimes we get a red alarm saying the passenger door is open when it isn't.

There is a big smoking gun style clue there!

Quite a common fault is a failure of the door closed microswitches in the door latch mechanism. And this will often cause the lock / unlock problem you describes. So I would investigate the passenger door latch, not too easy to get at, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,
Yep. I ran further tests today. I'll have to take it into the Ford dealership I guess. Bummer!

Thanks for you reply, really appreciated.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2008 at 5:29 PM, focustim said:

This worked for me!  My rear passenger door would not open nor would the window work.  Both fine now!  Did the ignition 4 times and pressed lock and unlock together. There was no chime sound but it worked. Thanks!!! (2006 S-Max) 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club