Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise

lucyloo

Hi I'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help,

Recently purchased a new 11 plate fiesta zetec 1400 petrol and first three weeks were great. Four and a bit weeks in and things have changed. The engine is making a rattling noise under the bonnet which is absolutely unbearable to live with. Very noticeable at slow speeds, parking, slowing down for junctions etc but there all the time under the noise of the engine. Ford dealership acknowledge noise but say they dont know what it is and wouldnt want to touch the car incase they make it worse! In the meantime we have to put up with a rattling new car. Had lots of fords before and never had this problem or an engine thats sounds like a tractor. The engine sounds worse than a 10 year old car. The car has been looked at four times now and we have been advised apparently they all sound like this. Can anyone else tell me how their new fiesta sounds after only 400 miles. Also been advised car is not PDI'd by dealership but done prior to delivery at dealership, surely thats not legal or correct. The clutch is also now making a noise when the pedal is pushed down then back up which is wasnt doing until recently. Lost complete faith in the car and dealership. Are we entitled to a refund or replacement.

Hi I'm new to the forum and was wondering if someone could help,

Recently purchased a new 11 plate fiesta zetec 1400 petrol and first three weeks were great. Four and a bit weeks in and things have changed. The engine is making a rattling noise under the bonnet which is absolutely unbearable to live with. Very noticeable at slow speeds, parking, slowing down for junctions etc but there all the time under the noise of the engine. Ford dealership acknowledge noise but say they dont know what it is and wouldnt want to touch the car incase they make it worse! In the meantime we have to put up with a rattling new car. Had lots of fords before and never had this problem or an engine thats sounds like a tractor. The engine sounds worse than a 10 year old car. The car has been looked at four times now and we have been advised apparently they all sound like this. Can anyone else tell me how their new fiesta sounds after only 400 miles. Also been advised car is not PDI'd by dealership but done prior to delivery at dealership, surely thats not legal or correct. The clutch is also now making a noise when the pedal is pushed down then back up which is wasnt doing until recently. Lost complete faith in the car and dealership. Are we entitled to a refund or replacement.

Hi Lucy

I saw your post about three hours ago and I'm quite surprised that you've had no response from any of our more experienced members yet.

Having said that, I bought my Fiesta 1.25 Zetec last October 1st and, apart from the bonnet which needs a little adjustment, I've had no problems with it at all. The engine is very quiet and it runs really nice.

With regard to your 'under the bonnet rattling noise' issue, as you have only had the car about 5 weeks or so and the noise started recently and, seeing as your Ford Dealer actually agree that there is a problem with it, then IMHO, I would personally reject the car outright for the reasons you have given. Other than that, I would notify Ford Customer service tomorrow and make them aware of what your problems are and what you intend to do about it. Then contact the dealer and make them aware of the fact that you have contacted Ford and then insist that they keep the car and give them 30 days in writing to sort it out to your complete satisfaction. Also insist that you are given a courtesy car for the whole of the period that they are working on your car. If you don't get the car back within the 30 day period, then reject the car and demand a replacement or a full refund.

With regard where the PDI is done, I've always believed that it is the selling dealership who does the PDI when the car arrives with them.

I'm sure that other Fiesta owners will be calling in to give their advice but, in the end, you are the owner of your new Ford and you need to take any action you deem to be necessary to get your car replaced, refunded or put right within 30 days. You could also contact Trading Standards and Consumer Protection tomorrow, Monday but, you could wait and see how it goes with Ford and the Dealership first.

Regards, BHeart

Hi

I cant tell you what the problem with your car may be, but quite simply you have a contract with the supplying dealer who is duty bound to correct any faults so if they wont touch the car I would reject it as the chap above says. I believe you have to give them three attempts at fixing the problem then you can reject it.

Hope you get it sorted cause they are cracking little cars.

Adrian

Hi Lucy

I saw your post about three hours ago and I'm quite surprised that you've had no response from any of our more experienced members yet.

Having said that, I bought my Fiesta 1.25 Zetec last October 1st and, apart from the bonnet which needs a little adjustment, I've had no problems with it at all. The engine is very quiet and it runs really nice.

With regard to your 'under the bonnet rattling noise' issue, as you have only had the car about 5 weeks or so and the noise started recently and, seeing as your Ford Dealer actually agree that there is a problem with it, then IMHO, I would personally reject the car outright for the reasons you have given. Other than that, I would notify Ford Customer Service tomorrow and make them aware of what your problems are and what you intend to do about it. Then contact the dealer and make them aware of the fact that you have contacted Ford and then insist that they keep the car and give them 30 days in writing to sort it out to your complete satisfaction. Also insist that you are given a courtesy car for the whole of the period that they are working on your car. If you don't get the car back within the 30 day period, then reject the car and demand a replacement or a full refund.

With regard where the PDI is done, I've always believed that it is the selling dealership who does the PDI when the car arrives with them.

I'm sure that other Fiesta owners will be calling in to give their advice but, in the end, you are the owner of your new Ford and you need to take any action you deem to be necessary to get your car replaced, refunded or put right within 30 days. You could also contact Trading Standards and Consumer Protection tomorrow, Monday but, you could wait and see how it goes with Ford and the Dealership first.

Regards, BHeart

Hi BHeart,

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply to my problem.I have had two service engineers from the Dealership service Department listen to the car,and also the foreman of the service department.They have all told me that they "don`t know what the problems are and taking the car apart to try and rectify them probably would not find them,while at the same time make other aspects of the running (i.e.mpg) worse".They have also basically informed me "it`s a fiesta,what do you expect" and "just sounds like a fiesta to me".

As you can imagine these all give me no confidence in the dealership service department whatsoever,and should I keep the car,I will NOT be having it serviced there.The foreman,when telling me that they "don`t PDI them....we just get a check-list" also informed me that the problem with the clutch was in reality possibly the gearbox but could`nt tell me if there was enough oil in the gearbox due to the fact that they don`t PDI them before they are delivered/collected by the customer.

I have now written to the branch sales director,on the recommendation of the salesman who sold me the car,and had no reply as yet.I will now contact the Ford Customer Service dept,so thanks for that suggestion.

Any further thoughts from you (or anyone else) will be greatley appreciated as right now I am getting NOWHERE and have been "fobbed off" 5 times so far....!!!

Lucyloo

Hi

I cant tell you what the problem with your car may be, but quite simply you have a contract with the supplying dealer who is duty bound to correct any faults so if they wont touch the car I would reject it as the chap above says. I believe you have to give them three attempts at fixing the problem then you can reject it.

Hope you get it sorted cause they are cracking little cars.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for getting back to me re the problems with the car.I have actualy given them 4 attempts to fix the car already in reality and each time the service engineer (one being the foreman of the service dept) have all informed me of the same thing - that they don`t know what the problems are,and that taking the car apart to try and find them would be pointless and probably make the car worse in other respects i.e. mpg etc.This leaves me at my wits end and I wish I had not bought the damn thing,even though it is lovely.

Any thoughts...?

Lucyloo

Hi Lucy

You have already been given some good advice by the guys on here. I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest by the local dealership and suggest that you firstly telephone the Ford Customer Assistance centre (number and address in your service book)and then follow up by writing to them (using recorded delivery) complaining in the strongest possible way (still remaining polite, of course) and telling them that they should instruct the dealer that under the Sale Of Goods Act they are obliged to either fix it swiftly or supply a replacement. It is important that you write to them whatever they say on the phone and not rely on verbal promises. Send a copy to the dealer. I did this years ago with a new Vauxhall and the attitude of the dealer changed overnight after I had complained directly to Vauxhall and I immediately got a new engine (in a new car !).

The Sale of Goods Act is a strong argument to get something put right.

I don't think many garages (Ford or otherwise) carry out PDI's these days, they just remove any transit protection and thats it.

My 1.4 petrol Fiesta engine has run very sweetly from new as it should have done. There is no way anyone could diagnose the rattle without hearing and examing the car so it really is down to the dealer. Any good mechanic should be able to have at least an idea what the problem is simply by listening to it so the Ford garage aren't up to much and shouldn't be fixing cars !

hope you get it sorted soon.

Alan

Hi again

If the dealer has had 4 opportunities to rectify the fault then I guess you have 2 options, take it to another dealer and get ford uk involved, when I had trouble with my wheels I phoned them and although they didnt exactly help me they did contact the supplying dealer to get all the info. Other than that take a look at this link My link it tells you how to reject a car on the grounds of it not being of satisfactory quality. As has been said record everything if you can, and when you send letters send them recorded.

Good luck

Adrian

My 1.4 Petrol Titanium sounds like a race car in first and second gear. I noticed this after about 200-400 mile mark, it's currently at 864 miles seven months later. Could it just be the lower the engine the louder they are? What about those with the 1.6 engine, how are your results?

On wiki it lists 4 different petrol engine's for the fiesta

1.25 L Duratec 60 PS

2008-

1,242 cc (75.8 cu in) I4 60 PS (44 kW; 59 hp), 109 N·m (80 lb·ft)

1.25 L Duratec 82 PS

2008-

1,242 cc (75.8 cu in) I4 82 PS (60 kW; 81 hp), 114 N·m (84 lb·ft)

1.4 L Duratec

2008-

1,388 cc (84.7 cu in) I4 96 PS (71 kW; 95 hp), 128 N·m (94 lb·ft)

1.6 L Duratec Ti-VCT

2008- 1,596 cc (97.4 cu in) I4 120 PS (88 kW; 120 hp) @ 6000 rpm, 152 N·m (112 lb·ft) @ 4050 rpm

Hi Lucy

You have already been given some good advice by the guys on here. I am amazed at the apparent lack of interest by the local dealership and suggest that you firstly telephone the Ford Customer Assistance centre (number and address in your service book)and then follow up by writing to them (using recorded delivery) complaining in the strongest possible way (still remaining polite, of course) and telling them that they should instruct the dealer that under the Sale Of Goods Act they are obliged to either fix it swiftly or supply a replacement. It is important that you write to them whatever they say on the phone and not rely on verbal promises. Send a copy to the dealer. I did this years ago with a new Vauxhall and the attitude of the dealer changed overnight after I had complained directly to Vauxhall and I immediately got a new engine (in a new car !).

The Sale of Goods Act is a strong argument to get something put right.

I don't think many garages (Ford or otherwise) carry out PDI's these days, they just remove any transit protection and thats it.

My 1.4 petrol Fiesta engine has run very sweetly from new as it should have done. There is no way anyone could diagnose the rattle without hearing and examing the car so it really is down to the dealer. Any good mechanic should be able to have at least an idea what the problem is simply by listening to it so the Ford garage aren't up to much and shouldn't be fixing cars !

hope you get it sorted soon.

Alan

Hi Alan

Great news and thanks for your advice. We contacted the Fords Customer Services and have now got a contact who is helping us. So lets hope our new car will be running as sweet as yours shortly!!

Lucy