Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Automatic

Magenta

Anyone else out there with a Fiesta Mk 7 Auto (or a previous model) or am I the only one ? I would be interested to hear your comments.

not seen many of them thats for sure,

Ben has a mk7 automatic if im not mistaken

I do.... my first automatic car and I won't be going back to manual now (as Im sure people are bored of me saying by now)

:D

I do.... my first automatic car and I won't be going back to manual now (as Im sure people are bored of me saying by now)

:D

I know the feeling ! After having had several autos, I first bought a 1.6 TDCI manual Mk 7 but just couldn't stand going back to pedalling the clutch and stirring the gears all the time so I traded it in for an auto Mk 7 Fiesta. Might be called laziness ! I am a little disappointed with the fuel consumption on the auto but being realistic, it's what I should have expected at around 36 - 38mpg. This drops to 32/33 in the winter as I usually make only very short jouneys (2/3 miles) so it is the worst case scenario - petrol/auto/short journeys.

Apart from that I am impressed at the smoothness of the transmission considering it isn't CVT and it makes for a very smooth, comfortable drive. Acceleration is slower than the manual but acceptable and it pulls away from rest quickly enough.

The best auto I had was a Rover with CVT (continuously variable transmission) - superbly smooth, no hesitancy,six manual ratios which couldn't be beaten no matter how fast you moved the stick. Good mpg too. Trouble was, the transmission kept breaking down ! This type consists of laminated steel belts running on cone shaped pulleys in an oil bath with a seperate oil cooler.

Worst auto of all was a Vauxhall 'Easytronic' which was unbelievably jerky and hesitant. Trying to pull away from roundabouts quickly was a nightmare. Good mpg though.

This type is a 'robotised' manual box with servo motors to do the changing for you. Good for mpg but not much else.

I've had my automatic mk7 (from new) for 18 months now - and overall, I've been pretty happy.

As mentioned above - the fuel consumption is certainly nothing to write home about though! I seem to visit the petrol station

far more often in this car than my previous vehicles though - despite them all having 1.6 engines.

The gearchange is indeed smooth & acceleration is not too bad for a 1.4 engine.

No major problems, faults, issues that I can think of. My two front (optional 7-spoke) alloys both have the most minimal of buckles

which Ford want £322 to replace. That's not an issue with the car of course - more an issue with Hampshire County Council last winter!

I am keeping the car for another 18 months (until January 2013) when I will change it - hopefully for the new Audi A1.

But yeah, generally happy with the car in automatic guise. I chose Squeeze with full bodykit & 7-spoke alloys when I got it. Since the

day I took delivery and right up to today even, I get plenty of compliments about the "gorgeous colour" - mainly from females of course! ;-)

The odd time when accelerating uphill I wish it had the powershift 6 speed (not that I've had any experience of it), just I reckon a 5th & 6th gear may be good. Kicking down into 3rd doing 70mph doesn't sound too relaxed, although on the flat it can sound quite sporty I suppose.

Its hard to get an idea of average/overall mpg for me as I travel around lots of different sites for work and never have the same distance or combination of city/highway driving from one day to the next.

The best single motorway journey average mpg reading I got was something crazy like 56 from what I remember - the wind must have been blowing in the right direction that day.

Usually city driving early to mid 30s, and mid 40s on the motorways for me.

I know the econetic or tdci owners might find that shocking but I personally reckon its a price worth paying.

Like you guys mentioned I find the auto box really smooth, both when shifting and when accelerating, cruising and braking (and have had many passengers commenting on that, to which I've replied "see you should get a automatic" :P ).

I'm also always pleased when pulling away from a red light with the constant smooth yet almost sporty acceleration, especially when you notice the manuals alongside keep momentarily dropping back while they change gears. *Cough* Peasants *Cough* :lol: (only joking)

So yeah, I'm very happy and totally converted to the dark side.

*Automatic side

Paul :D

I had an auto MK7 as a hire car for 3 days and hated every minute. the slightest hill on the motorway seemed to (M62 in particular on the big hills) have it totally giving up whilst revving like a lunatic. The kick down was useless as the car changed back up after less than 5 seconds overtaking was not an option. I became convinced that the highest gear setting was in fact reverse as it always felt like it was going backwards. When I had a focus auto much better and it had some sort of pseudo manual set up.

I had an auto MK7 as a hire car for 3 days and hated every minute. the slightest hill on the motorway seemed to (M62 in particular on the big hills) have it totally giving up whilst revving like a lunatic. The kick down was useless as the car changed back up after less than 5 seconds overtaking was not an option. I became convinced that the highest gear setting was in fact reverse as it always felt like it was going backwards. When I had a focus auto much better and it had some sort of pseudo manual set up.

Its the only automatic car I've driven (apart for a 15 minute Nissan Leaf test drive) so can't personally compare it with anything else.

The Fiesta also has a 'pseudo manual' set up which I very rarely use in practice. This allows you to hold lower gears for overtaking uphill for example and works well. My only criticism of the gearstick is that the selector is rather notchy (on mine) in D/N/R/P and I feel that the manual override, though smooth and responsive, should be the opposite way round, back to change down,forward to change up. 1400cc is actually a bit on the small side for an automatic but I think it does well considering this. I think that having owned a Mk7 manual and then a Mk 7 auto makes me well able to compare the two. Interestingly, the cruise control worked slightly better on the manual and held an absolutely precise speed. The auto is pretty good but I notice that it can be 1-2 mph out with varying road conditions and when it changes down on hills it is a bit of a surprise sometimes !

All automatics I have had in the past have had larger engines so I try bear this in mind when evaluating the car.

It is interesting that Ford have opted for a conventional type of auto transmission on the Mk 7. I wonder if this is down to 'tried and tested' technology of this type over many years despite being more expensive to produce and lower mpg ? A lot (well, some) of other small automatics use CVT or robotised boxes which perhaps give more trouble. Was the previous Fiesta auto box a robotised type ? I have a feeling I read that it was.

The Fiesta also has a 'pseudo manual' set up which I very rarely use in practice. This allows you to hold lower gears for overtaking uphill for example and works well. My only criticism is that the selector is rather notchy (on mine) in D/N/R/P and I feel that the manual override, though smooth and responsive, should be the opposite way round, back to change down,forward to change up. 1400cc is actually a bit on the small side for an automatic but I think it does well considering this. I think that having owned a Mk7 manual and then a Mk 7 auto makes me well able to compare the two. Interestingly, the cruise control worked slightly better on the manual and held an absolutely precise speed. The auto is pretty good but I notice that it can be 1-2 mph out with varying road conditions and when it changes down on hills it is a bit of a surprise sometimes !

All automatics I have had in the past have had larger engines so I try bear this in mind when evaluating the car.

It is interesting that Ford have opted for a conventional type of auto transmission on the Mk 7. I wonder if this is down to 'tried and tested' technology of this type over many years despite being more expensive to produce and lower mpg ? A lot (well, some) of other small automatics use CVT or robotised boxes which perhaps give more trouble. Was the previous Fiesta auto box a robotised type ? I have a feeling I read that it was.

Once I got my head around the pull back to shift up idea I quite liked it. I think its easier/slightly faster to tap back to change up rather than having to push the shifter forwards

Once I got my head around the pull back to shift up idea I quite liked it. I think its easier/slightly faster to tap back to change up rather than having to push the shifter forwards

I got into the 'opposite' habit from driving bubblecars with a 'positive stop' gearchange for nearly fifty years ! I can't actually remember which way round it was on the Vauxhall and Rover automatics.

I got into the 'opposite' habit from driving bubblecars with a 'positive stop' gearchange for nearly fifty years ! I can't actually remember which way round it was on the Vauxhall and Rover automatics.

Maybe a stupid question but whats bubblecars and positive stop? :unsure:

Not a stupid question at all. Now generally referred to as 'microcars', tiny cars popular in the 50's/60's, usually (but not necessarily) with three wheels and motorcycle-derived engines were often called 'bubblecars'. I had about a dozen of a particular make and am still involved in them. The four-speed gear change lever action is similar to a motorcycle and is 'one back - three forward' (back to change down,forward to change up) and is known as a 'positive stop' action.

Hope this helps !

Not a stupid question at all. Now generally referred to as 'microcars', tiny cars popular in the 50's/60's, usually (but not necessarily) with three wheels and motorcycle-derived engines were often called 'bubblecars'. I had about a dozen of a particular make and am still involved in them. The four-speed gear change lever action is similar to a motorcycle and is 'one back - three forward' (back to change down,forward to change up) and is known as a 'positive stop' action.

Hope this helps !

Well you learn something new every day on this forum. After a quick google image search I know what you're talking about - I've seen those before, just didn't now what they were called.

While I'm in the automatic thread, do you(s) know if our fiesta auto has lauch control - or is that only something found on the new DSG style auto transmissions?

Well you learn something new every day on this forum. After a quick google image search I know what you're talking about - I've seen those before, just didn't now what they were called.

While I'm in the automatic thread, do you(s) know if our fiesta auto has lauch control - or is that only something found on the new DSG style auto transmissions?

Messerschmitts (not the planes).

Now my stupid questions - what's lauch and DSG auto ? Is DSG what I have been calling a 'robotised' manual box as used by Vauxhall in their "Easytronic" ( I renamed it "Jerkatronic") transmissions ?

yes i have the auto version, 1.4 :)

not played with the manual shifting yet though, your thoughts? before i play

i presume im allowed to use only having an auto licence?

how are you finding the fuel consumption?

mines about 30mile to the gallon at the mo, but mainly running around town etc

yes i have the auto version, 1.4 :)

not played with the manual shifting yet though, your thoughts? before i play

i presume im allowed to use only having an auto licence?

how are you finding the fuel consumption?

mines about 30mile to the gallon at the mo, but mainly running around town etc

Your car is an auto so your licence allows you to use whatever is provided ! As I said, I hardly ever use the manual shift at all. There's a long steep hill without a speed run-up near here and I occasionally use it there to accelerate past lorries etc. Still doesn't come naturally though, forward to change down.

I drive mostly very short journeys (2-4 miles) and get 35-38 mpg in the summer driving very light footed. Drops dramatically in the winter though to nearer 30/32 as the engine doesn't get anywhere near to normal operating temperature. I understand that and accept it.

I have to concentrate when I get into my son's manual Mondeo though. I have only once so far forgot to press the clutch at roundabouts etc. !

Messerschmitts (not the planes).

Now my stupid questions - what's lauch and DSG auto ? Is DSG what I have been calling a 'robotised' manual box as used by Vauxhall in their "Easytronic" ( I renamed it "Jerkatronic") transmissions ?

DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox (or dual-clutch transmission), and is an automated transmission that can change gears faster than any other geared transmission. Twin-clutch transmissions deliver more power and better control than a traditional automatic transmission and faster performance than a manual transmission. Originally marketed by Volkswagen as the DSG and Audi as the S-Tronic, twin-clutch transmissions are now being offered by several automakers, including Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Porsche.

They are basically the future of automatic gearboxes. I am looking at owning an Audi A1 sometime next year with a DSG (or S-Tronic, as Audi call it - but same thing) box. It has better mpg than its manual equivalent - and is also quicker 0-60 than its manual equivalent! Being Audi of course, I'm going to have to sell a kidney in order to afford both the A1 and its expensive lsit of options I'd like! ;-)

DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox (or dual-clutch transmission), and is an automated transmission that can change gears faster than any other geared transmission. Twin-clutch transmissions deliver more power and better control than a traditional automatic transmission and faster performance than a manual transmission. Originally marketed by Volkswagen as the DSG and Audi as the S-Tronic, twin-clutch transmissions are now being offered by several automakers, including Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Porsche.

They are basically the future of automatic gearboxes. I am looking at owning an Audi A1 sometime next year with a DSG (or S-Tronic, as Audi call it - but same thing) box. It has better mpg than its manual equivalent - and is also quicker 0-60 than its manual equivalent! Being Audi of course, I'm going to have to sell a kidney in order to afford both the A1 and its expensive lsit of options I'd like! ;-)

Yup thats about it. Fords 6 speed Powershift transmission is a dual clutch automated manual too, its being introduced in the UK on the bigger models (focus up), USA gets it on the fiesta too.

I didn't know what launch control was until a few days back when I just happened to watch this focus vid -

&

then moments after asking on the forum if our fiesta had it, launch control was then mentioned on top gear - which i had on at the time (last nights).

Thanks, very informative. I assume that DSG is different to the box previously used by GM in Vauxhalls 'Easytronic' which is basically a manual box with servomotors doing the changing for you and no clutch pedal. I'm not sure how many clutches it had but sometimes you could feel the clutch engage. This was very ponderous when changing ratios automatically and manual override wasn't much quicker. There has to be a minimum response time but it was just too slow. Very jerky in operation too. MPG was quite good though, better than the manual version on paper.

Looking up DSG, it seems that it was developed by Borg-Warner in the USA (the home of the auto box of course!) and licensed to VW.

Launch control looks quite interesting. I doubt if my Fiesta has it. I haven't tried the foot on brake,floor throttle,release brake on my Fiesta yet, I'm not sure I want to !

I don't watch Top Gear these days, it turned into a farcical comedy years ago and just an excuse for Clarkson & co to play with supercars.

I doubt if my Fiesta has it. I haven't tried the foot on brake,floor throttle,release brake on my Fiesta yet, I'm not sure I want to !

lol same here but also tempted at the same time. Doubt it has it though

Think Fred the weatherman has a Messerschmit. He does a "Where am I" feature on North West News program.

As for launch control, I doubt the Fiesta has it or needs it.

My BMW has an SMG Gearbox, which for the layman, is a standard gearbox with clutch and dual mass flywheel but gears are changed using flappy paddles or the gear stick, there is no clutch pedal, the clutch is activated purely by electronics and hydraulics automatically. It has launch control, but never tried it and also hill assist. It has an "Auto" mode and "sequential" mode. Never use Auto mode, but the wife does when she drives it. Auto mode has 5 speed settings (gear change speed) and manual mode has 6 settings, the fastest setting is 60ms, which is very fast, in fact I thing it's the fastest changing, "manual" single clutch gearbox going, or certainly was at the time it was introduced, as most these days are dual clutch.

The only downside is, if anything goes wrong, it can cost a fortune to repair but luckily, a clutch replacement costs the same as manual cars (although still expensive by normal standards)and the gearchanges in high settings can be brutal if you're not used to it.

Must admit, much prefer this way than a normal manual or an automatic gearbox and doubt I'd buy another car with a standard manual stick unless I didn't have the option.

I have a 1.4 auto. Petrol consumption is a bit of a let down, official MPG is 42 but the best I've got out of it so far is 33 - one reason why I chose the Fiesta was to hopefully save a bit of money on fuel but unfortunately that hasn't happened. The auto gearbox is okay but not as good as other autos I've owned (possibly due to it being a smaller engine and only 4 gears).

I have a 1.4 auto. Petrol consumption is a bit of a let down, official MPG is 42 but the best I've got out of it so far is 33 - one reason why I chose the Fiesta was to hopefully save a bit of money on fuel but unfortunately that hasn't happened. The auto gearbox is okay but not as good as other autos I've owned (possibly due to it being a smaller engine and only 4 gears).

I too, was at first, a little disappointed with the mpg on the auto (especially as I swapped a manual 1.6TDCI in for it which did almost 60mpg). I get about 37/38mpg on very short journeys (in the summer) which I have now come to realise isn't too bad really. Considering it is a conventional auto with 'fluid flywheel' it is what you would expect. Also, as you say and I have memtioned earlier, 1.4L is rather small for an auto so you can't expect the performance of a larger engine and car. You get what you pay for.

Personally, I find the changes very smooth and that, coupled with the general smoothness and drivability of the Fiesta for me, more than outweigh the poor mpg. The 1.6 petrol Vauxhall Astra auto I had did around 40mpg but was awful to drive !

I used to do 25 - 30000 miles a year in company cars, mostly autos and believe me, you could do a lot worse than the Fiesta ! As I now do a very low annual mileage, my fuel costs are relatively low. This is a factor I considered when thinking of changing from a manual diesel to an auto petrol car.

I would find it difficult to go back to a clutch-pedalling manual now. The tedium of a manual for me is the clutch more than the gearstick.

My previous car was a 1.6 Citroen VTR with a 5-speed 'Sensotronic' gearbox - in other words - flappy paddles on the steering wheel. Loved it! It was fast for a small car & the petrol consumption was miles better (literally) than my current 1.4 Fiesta with the 'normal' auto box . . . or Durashift as Ford call it.

I love the new Citroen DS3 - but for some reason, Citroen have fitted the car with a standard 4-speed auto box on the 1.6. That really is a shame for such a sexy, good looking car! When I change my current Mk7 Fiesta in 18 months time, I would have picked the DS3 without even thinking about it - if it had a different automatic set-up. A sensotronic option would have been great - or some sort of dual clutch box. Such a shame. I am seriously considering the Audi A1 instead - mainly due to it's 7-speed DSG box & turbo-charged fuel consumption way better than a DS3 and indeed the MK7 Fiesta.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club