Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading The Speakers

Tato

I was wondering who upgraded/changed their standard Speakers and did you use an amplifier?

Is there, till date and exact size or official size for the front/back Speakers?

I've found some good Speakers and amp and would like to know your experience before moving further...Are the speakers difficult to change? Should I allow Ford to do the work for me? :D

Any advise would be really helpful, not only for me but also for others interested...

Cheers!

Tato

Im venturing into doing the same thing. From what i can tell the Speakers are 6.5inch (17cm) but you need some kind of adaptor to fit them.

As for whether you need an amp or not is dependant on what your trying to achieve, but for optimal sound quality id say yes use an amp (to keep stock hu though you need some RCA line converters). Another consideration depending on budget is something that will do what cleansweep does, the MTX RE-Q is very good (costs about £100 and is what i will use)as it levels the HU sound and restores the bass which is dampened out at higher volumes.

There are a couple of topics pre existing on this subject knocking around the board somewhere might be worth doing a quick search for them, im pretty sure i saw a guide to this on here but the link escapes me.

anyway hope that helps a little bit :blink:

Im venturing into doing the same thing. From what i can tell the speakers are 6.5inch (17cm) but you need some kind of adaptor to fit them.

As for whether you need an amp or not is dependant on what your trying to achieve, but for optimal sound quality id say yes use an amp (to keep stock hu though you need some RCA line converters). Another consideration depending on budget is something that will do what cleansweep does, the MTX RE-Q is very good (costs about £100 and is what i will use)as it levels the HU sound and restores the bass which is dampened out at higher volumes.

There are a couple of topics pre existing on this subject knocking around the board somewhere might be worth doing a quick search for them, im pretty sure i saw a guide to this on here but the link escapes me.

anyway hope that helps a little bit :blink:

Thanks Tom for the info. I will add the Speakers in 1 month, so I still have to time to dig around...

Yes, I want to keep the HU because I like the looks of it, but I was almost sure that I might need something extra. Thanks for mentioning! The only thing that I am a bit worried is removing the back panels, but I think I will go to my Ford dealer for the job, since I don't want to break a new car :D I am also planning to add one active sub (slim/under seat ones)

What Speakers you have in mind? Are you thinking about an amp?

Completely agree about the HU thats why im going for the RE-Q (probs gonna install it in the secret compartment). Doing the front panels isnt too bad just gotta do it carefully, but if you've got a 3 door the back panels are a pain to take out so yeah get ford or an I.C.E installer to do it simply to save you cursing till christmas.

The set up im looking at is

MTX RE-Q

amp:Pioneer GM-3500T (2 channel) or Alpine PMX-F640 (multi channel)

Component speakers: Infinity Reference 6530cs OR Pioneer TS-A171Ci

sub: Pioneer TS-WX77A or Pioneer TS-WX610A

Im still torn as to do a front+rear build or just do the front hence the two amps. The component Speakers get good reviews and im very familiar with the pioneer set so it will probs end up being those. The spare wheel sub looks very interesting for the fez but i cant find reviews anywhere for it so i will hopefully make a trip to listen. The 77a is remarkable for its size and well worth considering at the extra cost. on a side note the 11a sub ford list as an extra is also good but positioning is paramount. Also looking into dampening materials for both boot and doors (doesnt look to bad probs £120 for all areas).

Not a cheap build but not extremely expensive either.

I was wondering who upgraded/changed their standard speakers and did you use an amplifier?

Is there, till date and exact size or official size for the front/back speakers?

I've found some good speakers and amp and would like to know your experience before moving further...Are the speakers difficult to change? Should I allow Ford to do the work for me? :D

Any advise would be really helpful, not only for me but also for others interested...

Cheers!

Tato

17cm/6.5" and you need mounts. I did it myself - not hard but it depends how confident you are. No amp or sub but it depends how loud and what type of music you listen to.

Searching this forum should bring up some previous posts from myself and others on this...

e.g.

Details and photos

Another post

And another

Last one, but could find more easily...

B)

• Like 2

Completely agree about the HU thats why im going for the RE-Q (probs gonna install it in the secret compartment). Doing the front panels isnt too bad just gotta do it carefully, but if you've got a 3 door the back panels are a pain to take out so yeah get ford or an I.C.E installer to do it simply to save you cursing till christmas.

The set up im looking at is

MTX RE-Q

amp:Pioneer GM-3500T (2 channel) or Alpine PMX-F640 (multi channel)

Component speakers: Infinity Reference 6530cs OR Pioneer TS-A171Ci

sub: Pioneer TS-WX77A or Pioneer TS-WX610A

Im still torn as to do a front+rear build or just do the front hence the two amps. The component speakers get good reviews and im very familiar with the pioneer set so it will probs end up being those. The spare wheel sub looks very interesting for the fez but i cant find reviews anywhere for it so i will hopefully make a trip to listen. The 77a is remarkable for its size and well worth considering at the extra cost. on a side note the 11a sub ford list as an extra is also good but positioning is paramount. Also looking into dampening materials for both boot and doors (doesnt look to bad probs £120 for all areas).

Not a cheap build but not extremely expensive either.

Your configuration looks really good. When are you planning to start working on it?

About the sub, the 77a is relatively big but probably it gives good results.

Will the MTX RE-Q fit in the secret compartment?

17cm/6.5" and you need mounts. I did it myself - not hard but it depends how confident you are. No amp or sub but it depends how loud and what type of music you listen to.

Searching this forum should bring up some previous posts from myself and others on this...

e.g.

Details and photos

Another post

And another

Last one, but could find more easily...

B)

Without amp and sub, how would you rate the sounds compared to the standard?

Thank you for sharing the links!

Cheers!

Something else, might be silly but I would like to know what is this thing for :D

image5pm.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will probably start in about 2 weeks time assuming i get the shopping done :D

Yeah the 77a is a bit of a beast but as it only 8 cm high if i do go for that i was goin to do a false floor, mount the amp back there too, sit it over the spare wheel, and keep a full boot space(near enough). Both will likely be secured using industrial Velcro to make it easily removable. As for the RE-Q it should fit in fine as its only sorta 1 inch high, 4 wide and 5 deep, will want to check it though once its here, if not i'll sit it in the cabin somewhere, alternatively i could run it to the boot.

What set up were you looking at Tato?

I will probably start in about 2 weeks time assuming i get the shopping done :D

Yeah the 77a is a bit of a beast but as it only 8 cm high if i do go for that i was goin to do a false floor, mount the amp back there too, sit it over the spare wheel, and keep a full boot space(near enough). Both will likely be secured using industrial Velcro to make it easily removable. As for the RE-Q it should fit in fine as its only sorta 1 inch high, 4 wide and 5 deep, will want to check it though once its here, if not i'll sit it in the cabin somewhere, alternatively i could run it to the boot.

What set up were you looking at Tato?

At this stage (and probably will stay like this):

Amp

Mac Audio ZX400 Black Edition: http://www.mac-audio.de/index.php?id=3615&L=1&cHash=d24e94152cab5ec6f88bec9f84a5b054

Sub

Focal Bus25: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/88196-focal-bus-25-10-under-seat-sub-integrated-amp.html

Front Speakers:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/88196-focal-bus-25-10-under-seat-sub-integrated-amp.html

Back Speakers:

http://www.mac-audio.de/index.php?id=3605&L=1

+ RE-Q (as you recommended)

Will got for the 6.5 Speakers because I've found adapters.

Mac Audio is a German company.

Without amp and sub, how would you rate the sounds compared to the standard?

The Speakers I chose have a pretty strong low end response, so I don't find I miss the sub for the music I listen to. If you like to feel really deep bass (and I do mean "feel" not "hear") you'll want a sub.

As for the amp, you'll need one if you listen at high volumes, otherwise the built in amp will start to distort which is bad for sound quality, but will also shorten the life of the Speakers. I find having rear Speakers helps a lot to fill in the sound (I accept it doesn't help with stereo imaging). When I set the fade to just use the front speakers, I can't get enough volume or bass without distortion.

The most important thing is careful installation. As in my links, I added some sound deadening, used very rigid mounts for the speakers, and placed the tweeters on top of the dash (the original placement next to the handles is about the worst place to put them). You won't get a Ford garage to do that, and you'd have to pay quite a bit for a pro to do it. I suggest you do it yourself if you have any practical skills, or find a mate who's done it before and you trust to wield a screwdriver around your car :D .

That picture was a "super capacitor" by the look of it. They are put between the amp and the battery to smooth out the peaks in supply and demand of power. Opinion varies on their usefulness.

The speakers I chose have a pretty strong low end response, so I don't find I miss the sub for the music I listen to. If you like to feel really deep bass (and I do mean "feel" not "hear") you'll want a sub.

As for the amp, you'll need one if you listen at high volumes, otherwise the built in amp will start to distort which is bad for sound quality, but will also shorten the life of the speakers. I find having rear speakers helps a lot to fill in the sound (I accept it doesn't help with stereo imaging). When I set the fade to just use the front speakers, I can't get enough volume or bass without distortion.

The most important thing is careful installation. As in my links, I added some sound deadening, used very rigid mounts for the speakers, and placed the tweeters on top of the dash (the original placement next to the handles is about the worst place to put them). You won't get a Ford garage to do that, and you'd have to pay quite a bit for a pro to do it. I suggest you do it yourself if you have any practical skills, or find a mate who's done it before and you trust to wield a screwdriver around your car :D .

That picture was a "super capacitor" by the look of it. They are put between the amp and the battery to smooth out the peaks in supply and demand of power. Opinion varies on their usefulness.

Thanks for the advice mate!

So, as I guess I won't need the super capacitor right?

So, as I guess I won't need the super capacitor right?

Personally I wouldn't bother. You need to start worrying about the power supply with really serious installations - the kind where the entire boot is filled with subs and amps. And then most would go for adding batteries rather than a capacitor (and upgrading the alternator, etc).

Personally I wouldn't bother. You need to start worrying about the power supply with really serious installations - the kind where the entire boot is filled with subs and amps. And then most would go for adding batteries rather than a capacitor (and upgrading the alternator, etc).

Right, I won't build my car for sound competitions so I won't need it.

Anyway, I just hope that the ICE shop know what they have ahead because as I understood the back seats need to be taken out...but probably my Fiesta is not the first one that they worked on so they should know. They told me that the work is around 2 hours, is that real?

I have fitted all my ICE myself, i am running a set of ampped 6" in the front doors with ampped tweeters, and a set of 6x9's ammped and 6" ammped in a fake wall which replaces the shelf as well as my vibe black death sub :) any questions about fitting i think i can help :)

I have fitted all my ICE myself, i am running a set of ampped 6" in the front doors with ampped tweeters, and a set of 6x9's ammped and 6" ammped in a fake wall which replaces the shelf as well as my vibe black death sub :) any questions about fitting i think i can help :)

OK, then I could have some questions.

1. Do you have 3/5 doors Mk7?

2. How long it took (hours)?

3. What configuration you have?

4. How would you compare the sound now after the upgrade?

If I think about something else, I will ask because I still have some time until I start with mine...

I have a 3 door Mk7 i reckon it took me about 20 hours to fit it all, not sure what you mean by configuration, to me its sounds much crisper, very much louder and much bassier, just going around trying to find rattles now :/

I have a 3 door Mk7 i reckon it took me about 20 hours to fit it all, not sure what you mean by configuration, to me its sounds much crisper, very much louder and much bassier, just going around trying to find rattles now :/

Configuration meaning what Speakers and amp you've got. Did you have any experience with changing Speakers or was it your first time? The reason why I ask is to understand the 20 hours :)

The ICE shop told me that it will take around 2 hours to replace all this, so...just curious...

i have vibe black air 6" in the front running of a stereo 4 vibe amp and vibe black air 6" and 6x9s in the rear wall running of my favourite jbl amp (personally i thin kthe amp has brilliant quality), took me so long as i had no guide and was triple checking every thing to make sure there was no mistakes, and of course there was a problem at the end( amp would not turn on) but turned out to be the delta box. all just took time, have plenty of experience fitting ICE in all types of cars :)

i have vibe black air 6" in the front running of a stereo 4 vibe amp and vibe black air 6" and 6x9s in the rear wall running of my favourite jbl amp (personally i thin kthe amp has brilliant quality), took me so long as i had no guide and was triple checking every thing to make sure there was no mistakes, and of course there was a problem at the end( amp would not turn on) but turned out to be the delta box. all just took time, have plenty of experience fitting ICE in all types of cars :)

Thanks mate! Probably if you would know the car beforehand and have no issues, the work could be done in 3-5 hours...

What JBL amp?

Thanks mate! Probably if you would know the car beforehand and have no issues, the work could be done in 3-5 hours...

What JBL amp?

ITs a JBL GTO 80.4 amp 80 rms per channel but the quality is brilliant, sorry about the late reply

ITs a JBL GTO 80.4 amp 80 rms per channel but the quality is brilliant, sorry about the late reply

Thanks mate! No worries...

sorry to re up this thread but wondered if anyone could tell me where and how much the speaker adapters are (links would be appreciated ;) ). i dont seem to be able to find the right ones on eBay, how much to ford charge? i only need 2 and want get my build started next week.

quick update on my final build:

MTX RE Q3

Infinity reference 6530cs

Infinity Basslink (got a good deal on it new...£60)

Pioneer GM 3400T (again good deal new...£70)

should only take a couple of hours to install (fingers crossed). would anyone be interested in a guide if i was willing to put one together while doing the install???

sorry to re up this thread but wondered if anyone could tell me where and how much the speaker adapters are (links would be appreciated ;) ). i dont seem to be able to find the right ones on ebay, how much to ford charge? i only need 2 and want get my build started next week.

quick update on my final build:

MTX RE Q3

Infinity reference 6530cs

Infinity Basslink (got a good deal on it new...£60)

Pioneer GM 3400T (again good deal new...£70)

should only take a couple of hours to install (fingers crossed). would anyone be interested in a guide if i was willing to put one together while doing the install???

The adapters that I've found cost 23 euros/2 pieces.

Here is how they look:

http://www.be-loud.ro/produse/Integrare_OEM/Ford/Inele_Ka-Mondeo-Puma-Focus-Fiesta-Transit_M428375/

Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers!