Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.25 Or 1.4 - Petrol Versions

Timbo343

I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advise please.

I am looking at changing my 53 LX Fiesta (its a great little car but brother is wanting it) for a nearly new version. I have been looking at the 1.25 Petrol 82bhp version or the 1.4 Petrol in the zetec model. I have tested both 1.25 and 1.4 versions and i cannot tell the difference, is it me? The only difference is that the 1.25 is a little lighter and the steering is more responsive.

What would you go for, the 1.25 or the 1.4?

I have seen a really nice 1.4 zetec in white with parking sensors but doesn't have bluetooth... how much would it be to fit the ford bluetooth to the car?

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advise please.

I am looking at changing my 53 LX Fiesta (its a great little car but brother is wanting it) for a nearly new version. I have been looking at the 1.25 Petrol 82bhp version or the 1.4 Petrol in the zetec model. I have tested both 1.25 and 1.4 versions and i cannot tell the difference, is it me? The only difference is that the 1.25 is a little lighter and the steering is more responsive.

What would you go for, the 1.25 or the 1.4?

I have seen a really nice 1.4 zetec in white with parking sensors but doesn't have bluetooth... how much would it be to fit the ford bluetooth to the car?

Thanks

I had somehow the same dilemma a few months ago, but mine was more comparing the 1.4 to the 1.6. I test drived the 1.25 and I was not particularly excited about the engine, but then again...it's only 1.25. I ended up choosing the 1.6 because it's the best available now for the Fiesta.

Between the 1.25 and 1.4 there is not much difference, therefore I would go for the one which is either cheaper or has the options that you need the most.

Hope this helps a bit...

I test drove all 3 engines & ended up buying the 1.25.

Don't know if its the way I drive, but if you put your foot hard down on the throttle, little happens. Using light throttle a bit at a time gets the best performance. Hence, when I drove the 1.6 it felt flat so disregarded it. Now I'm used to the 1.25 I am happy enough with it, but if on the motorway, or if you have a couple of passengers, the 1.4 would be better.

I think the 1.4 gives near enough the same MPG as the 1.25 if that is important to you.

In my opinion the difference of consumption is very little...and should not be a factor of deciding for the Fiesta.

1.25: 38.2 mpg

1.4: 37.2 mpg

1.6: 35.7 mpg

Got my Mk7 last year and test drove both the 1.25 and 1.4, couldn't find much difference between the two, so went for the cheaper 1.25.

As Ford don't do engine badge's I can alway's bluff it's the 1.4 :D

If your current Fiesta has the 1.3, the 1.25 will be like night and day

All depend's on what one your happy with and budget

Good luck with your buy

Thanks for the replies guys.

My current car is the 1.25 litre and yeah, it does the job ok.

I have just done a bit of reading and found that the 1.25 has ~81bhp and the 1.4 has ~94bhp.

I'm hopefully going to be test driving the 1.25 and the 1.4 again tomorrow evening for a second opinion making sure that the air con (if there is that option) is turned off.

Its just that i have been told that ford made the 1.25 and the 1.6 and thought, oh hang on, we had best do a 1.4 and didnt really put much effort into it.

The 1.25 comes in 2 flavours, 60ps and 82ps. The 1.4 is 96ps.

I wouldn't really consider the 60ps unless you wanted something very cheap to run around.

If most your driving is round town then go for the 1.25

If you do a lot of motorway miles and often carry passengers the extra capacity of the 1.4 will probably be helpful and worth that little bit extra.

Official Stats*: http://www.carpages.co.uk/guide/ford/ford-fiesta-guide.asp

1.25 (60ps)

Max speed: 94mph

0-62mph: 16.9 secs

Combined 51.4 mpg

Tax: Band D; £90 per year (1st year free)

Insurance group: 3(old) 5(new system)

1.25 (82ps)

Max speed: 104mph

0-62mph: 13.3 secs

Combined 50.4 mpg

Tax: Band D; £90 per year (1st year free)

Insurance group: 3(old) 5(new system)

1.4 (96ps)

Max speed: 109mph

0-62mph: 12.2 secs

Combined 48.7 mpg

Tax: Band E; £110 per year

Insurance group: 4(old) 8(new system)

*Please note official stats aren't accurate but it's good for comparison anyway

Thanks for the figures even if they arent official.

I didnt know they were changing the insurance groups..

Thanks for the figures even if they arent official.

I didnt know they were changing the insurance groups..

Yup. 1-50 now instead of the outgoing 1-20 I think the new system is a bit more specific, which should keep premiums a bit fairer, particularly with smaller cars.

The figures are official, but they're not accurate to the real world. Ford & every other manufacturer tell white lies to keep to insurance/tax band brackets and to attract more customers. The MPG tests are done from a wind tunnel, and are usually near impossible to reach in the real world.

For instance; Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 (120ps):

Official:

Maximum Speed: 120 mph

0 - 62 mph (acceleration): 9.9 seconds

Urban Fuel: 35.7 mpg

Extra Urban: 61.4 mpg

Combined: 48.7 mpg

Personal:

Max Speed: 125mph, 130mph on long downhill

0 - 62mph: 9.3 seconds (with 2 people in the car, I'm light (11st), my friend is 14 stone)

Urban Fuel: 27mpg - 33mpg

Extra Urban: 48mpg - 55mpg

Combined: 38mpg - 45mpg

(With my personal MPG's, first figures are averages of normal driving, 2nd figures are eco-mode/tree hugging/no money for petrol driving style)

Personal:

Max Speed: 125mph, 130mph on long downhill

0 - 62mph: 9.3 seconds (with 2 people in the car, I'm light (11st), my friend is 14 stone)

Urban Fuel: 27mpg - 33mpg

Extra Urban: 48mpg - 55mpg

Combined: 38mpg - 45mpg

(With my personal MPG's, first figures are averages of normal driving, 2nd figures are eco-mode/tree hugging/no money for petrol driving style)

First two figures are really nice :D I will try them very soon...

As for the urban fuel consumption...does not sound that bad either.

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Just to throw this into the mix..

What do people think about owning a 1.4 diesel and only doing about 5 miles a day and the odd long distance journey? Would it be worth getting a petrol for that?

Thanks

What do people think about owning a 1.4 diesel and only doing about 5 miles a day and the odd long distance journey? Would it be worth getting a petrol for that?

Thanks

I'd say stick with the petrol for the tiny mileage you do. Also if you were to get a diesel you may have issues with the diesel particulate filter getting clogged up from doing such short journeys.

I'd say stick with the petrol for the tiny mileage you do. Also if you were to get a diesel you may have issues with the diesel particulate filter getting clogged up from doing such short journeys.

Agreed - unless you can give it a blast down the motorway every week you're asking for trouble as a DPF runs in to the £1,000+ to replace when things go wrong.

Thanks

As above I'd agree sticking with petrol. Not only will it be easier to maintain with low mileage, but it will work out cheaper in the long run. The extra efficiency/lower insurance/lower tax doesn't offset the price for the more expensive diesel engine til you've done many thousands of miles.

Petrol is also the better choice for short/town driving, diesel is more suited to motorways 50-70-50mph

Thanks for the replies on the petrol/diesel thing.. now back to the initial question..

1.25 or 1.4... ??? the 1.4 will be better with more people in but ive heard its actually about a 1350

hi Timbo

How do you mean its only a 1350 ?

If you are only doing small journeys and an occasional motorway jaunt then the 1.25 is the best choice.

G/F has the 1.25 60ps style and we have driven it from wrexham to lostwitiel in cornwall and it was absolutely fine.

When you compare the mk6 1.25 75ps to the latest 1.25 60ps you cannot feel any difference. (well i cant and so cannot my g/f)

Jamie

Thanks for the replies on the petrol/diesel thing.. now back to the initial question..

1.25 or 1.4... ??? the 1.4 will be better with more people in but ive heard its actually about a 1350

The 1.4 comes in at 1388cc

1.25 comes in at 1242cc

There's not a massive difference between the two engines.

1.25 will be a bit cheaper (I'd suggest the 82ps version though). Bit more economical around town. £20/year cheaper to tax (excl. first year which is free for the 1.25), Marginally cheaper to insure.

1.4 will be a bit more comfortable on the motorway, will manage more passengers easier. Bit quicker, more economical at faster speeds, better acceleration etc. Also available in Titanium trim, if you like gadgets.

Both the 1.25 and the 1.4 engines share the same bore diameter.

The only difference to make up the CU is the Stroke on the 1.4 is slightly longer.

The 60ps and 82ps 1.25 engines have a 71.9 mm Stroke and a 76.5 mm Bore Diameter

The 96ps Engine has a 76 mm Stroke and a 76.5 mm Bore Diameter

The 1.4 PFI Sigma 96ps engine has advantages over the smaller 1.25 engine.

According to Etis the 1.4 engine is equipped with Port Fuel Injection whereas the 1.25 has Electronic Fuel Injection.

Now According to my knowledge Both are electronic but the main advantage is that the 1.4 has its injectors closer to the inlet ports on the engine.

So to Summerise, There are two Main Advantages for the 1.4 (1388 96ps) (Maybe Three)

• Port Fuel Injection which is also Electronic
  • Slightly longer stroke (The Length of travel in MM that the piston has to move (Verticaly) inside the bore of each cylinder)
  • It could also posess an altered or different throttle body

I hope the Class has not fallen ASLEEP lol :blink:

Port Fuel injection has advantages :-

A type of fuel injection with at least one injector mounted in the intake port(s) of each cylinder.

Usually the injector is mounted on the air intake manifold close to the port.

Port fuel injection improves fuel distribution and allows greater flexibility in intake-manifold design, which can contribute to improved engine breathing.

Jamie :ph34r:

• Like 1

Both the 1.25 and the 1.4 engines share the same bore diameter.

The only difference to make up the CU is the Stroke on the 1.4 is slightly longer.

The 60ps and 82ps 1.25 engines have a 71.9 mm Stroke and a 76.5 mm Bore Diameter

The 96ps Engine has a 76 mm Stroke and a 76.5 mm Bore Diameter

The 1.4 PFI Sigma 96ps engine has advantages over the smaller 1.25 engine.

According to Etis the 1.4 engine is equipped with Port Fuel Injection whereas the 1.25 has Electronic Fuel Injection.

Now According to my knowledge Both are electronic but the main advantage is that the 1.4 has its injectors closer to the inlet ports on the engine.

So to Summerise, There are two Main Advantages for the 1.4 (1388 96ps) (Maybe Three)

• Port Fuel Injection which is also Electronic
  • Slightly longer stroke (The Length of travel in MM that the piston has to move (Verticaly) inside the bore of each cylinder)
  • It could also posess an altered or different throttle body

I hope the Class has not fallen ASLEEP lol :blink:

Port Fuel injection has advantages :-

A type of fuel injection with at least one injector mounted in the intake port(s) of each cylinder.

Usually the injector is mounted on the air intake manifold close to the port.

Port fuel injection improves fuel distribution and allows greater flexibility in intake-manifold design, which can contribute to improved engine breathing.

Jamie :ph34r:

Jamie...you're the man :D

• Like 1

Jamie...you're the man :D

you are still awake then m8 :-)

ure cool shame u dont live closer we cud be proper m8's

you are still awake then m8 :-)

ure cool shame u dont live closer we cud be proper m8's

Still awake and running...

Well...distances are not that big nowadays so you never know ;) I should visit UK one day...

• Like 1

This is actually interesting post it gives me clearer insite between the two engines.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for all the posts guys.

I bit the bullet and bought a 1.4 titanium on a 60 plate (nov 2010), ok a bit more than i planned but its got everything apart from leather seats and only 1900 on the clock