Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Remove/open/disassemble Your Boot/trunk Trim/cover On A Ford Focus Mk2

Drazha

Being a relative newbie to the Ford Focus scene (got one recently) I discovered that my boot/trunk handle (with a micro-switch) did not work, and to make things worse, the boot would open all by itself during driving!

I did some research and figured that it would either be the water in the cable connector (which means when you press any control that kicks off the lights on the tail the boot goes off) or that the actual handle micro-switch was somehow damaged.

So on one fine day, I decided to poke around and peeled the rubber cover of the actual boot handle, and I swear to god, what looked like half a pint of water came out of that handle, together with some white stuff in it, which was either coagulated wax from the power wash injected water, or the corrosion of the aluminum (or whatever metal) parts within.

I have then decided to leave it like that, to see if the micro-switch would dry off and stop producing the issue. Well, the issue persisted, and as I later found out, the micro-switch has not dried off either, despite the hottest week (30C) in Ireland, EVER!

For this little experiment, one will need a Torx screwdriver (my nuts'n'bolts required T13), a little wrench (10 I believe) and a bit of other odd tools you probably already have lying around.

Next time I will use my Canon 30D, honest! Better pics, 8MP, not so large, and better quality!

Step 1: See the handle holes there on the hatch door? There is one Torx screw in each:

5952084114_69ed86fe9d_z.jpg

Ford Focus mk2 Boot Open by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Screw 1:

5952116812_85ded4895d_z.jpg

Ford Focus Mk2 Left Hatch Boot Handle by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Screw 2:

5951571891_991a988d3d_z.jpg

Ford Focus Mk2 Right Hatch Boot Handle by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Aftermath:

5951570525_39886a7de2_z.jpg

The other little piggy thought it was a splendid idea and joined the first one! by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Now comes the part which I was personally not sure about! Once I take the screws out, then what? Well, turns out all you need to do is gently pull downwards, prise the plastic cover from the metal hatch, and with a measured, but firm pull, the plastic "trim" will snap off, delivering no damage in the process!!!

SNAP:

Ok, I know the title is dramatic, but no, not really, everything is actually quite OK! Notice the plastic "snap guide" and the metal snip/snap click/clack next to it, that actually keeps it clicked in!

Due to shortageof 3D glassess this will be presented in 2D. The object of our interest is the two black pins that are actually further back then the two we just pulled out, seen to the left of them. These will suffer the same fate soon! Mwahahaa!

5952157280_7afcf13ae3_z.jpg

Don't Pull At It Even More!!! by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Bust first, lets be methodical in this carnage and pull out the other side pin as well!!!

5952160186_fee71ffe47_z.jpg

OH NO! NOT THE OTHER SIDE TOO?! by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Ooops! This just fell out! :) Just kidding! Thats the way it is supposed to go...

5951608289_3328744f8c_z.jpg

You monster! You broke its plastic boot hatch trim off! by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

And finally, the left back side as well...

5952163452_d14843d449_z.jpg

Thats it! Its dead now! by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

At this stage, it is important to note: If any reddish liquid, looking like synthetic blood starts bleeding during any of these actions, it means your Ford Focus is a Cylon, and you just made the machine bleed!

If not, you will be a producer of mechanical !Removed!, exposing the bits of a Ford Focus boot hatch, from backside:

5952219036_eef9eb984a_z.jpg

Ford Focus Mk2 Boot Hatch with removed plastic trim by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

5952220956_575f1b5113_z.jpg

Almost like them panties shots, eh? by FlosDeLux, on Flickr

Great success! You have removed the Ford Focus Mk2 Boot Hatch Plastic Trim!!!

Reverse the process for putting it back in. Actually, you might need to punch it a bit for the little metal thingies to pop in properly, you'll know its fitting right when its all snug, tight and secure!

Hope this helps out all of you lasses and lads out there. Apologies for some... unwarranted lingo here, and of-course, no mice were stuck in the exhaust pipes during this process (we used cats, we'll stick mice in for the next tutorial, honest!)

BR//Drazha

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

In short: Undo the screws and then pull the plastic off!

I always found that a picture speaks a thousand words. ;)

• Like 1

How many pictures does nine words need then?

Quality guide mate, ideal for upgrading to the chrome boot pannel aswell,

cheers!:D

How many pictures does nine words need then?

if your going to be sarcastic about it can you refrain from posting any comments please.

Its a great guide, not everyone is confident about attacking a car with a screwdriver, it also shows where those clips hide!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Thank you very much, there is no advice on this in the Haynes. like you said undo a screw then brute force. this guise gave me the confidence to remove the panel .

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but does anyone have any guides/help in removing the tailgate handle from focus? Is it just a matter of following the guide here and then undoing some screws in the tailgate or is there more to it? 

yeah it really is a simple 10 min job. I replaced a boot switch on a 2005 focus a while back, too no time to do and it is very straight forward. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stef123 said:

yeah it really is a simple 10 min job. I replaced a boot switch on a 2005 focus a while back, too no time to do and it is very straight forward. 

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, I've been wanting to replace the standard black handle with a colour coded one for a while now, so I think I'll take the plunge and get it sorted now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paddy94 said:

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear, I've been wanting to replace the standard black handle with a colour coded one for a while now, so I think I'll take the plunge and get it sorted now.

Count the number of rotations to removal of each nut;

To avoid overtightening and splitting the replacement 

13 hours ago, Lenny said:

??? just put the nuts on and pinch up, no amount of rotation counting will prevent over or under tighting of nut.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paddy94 said:

Sorry to bump up an old topic, but does anyone have any guides/help in removing the tailgate handle from focus? Is it just a matter of following the guide here and then undoing some screws in the tailgate or is there more to it? 

While you have the handle off I'd cover the triangular shaped bits that hold it onto the car in araldite rapid to strengthen them, that way they should last without ever breaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

??? just put the nuts on and pinch up, no amount of rotation counting will prevent over or under tighting of nut.

When the bolt pulls through the boot panel after breaking from the plastic.

or the boot handle is deformed and not sitting flush on the exterior due to overtightening of a nut or two on the inside of the boot

They may remember me,

I've installed four boot plastic boot strips on four different focus and can tell you the above is relevant information for the fitting of this particular part.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lenny said:

you must be built like the hulk then Lenny lol. Think you'd best invest in a low range torque wrench :lol: 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

Is this the same process for the mk. 2.5 (09 facelift) Focus? I need to replace the tailgate lift handle trim on mine as it snapped off (or someone had a go at removing it for me!) 

On that note, aside from the 6 bolts into the trim, does the rubber sealing strip around the outside edge have a role in holding the thing on? Most of it tore away when the trim came off and I've no idea where to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help on this - I'm an (extremely) amateur in need!

On 5/18/2018 at 5:28 PM, JoshH said:

Hi all!

Is this the same process for the mk. 2.5 (09 facelift) Focus? I need to replace the tailgate lift handle trim on mine as it snapped off (or someone had a go at removing it for me!) 

On that note, aside from the 6 bolts into the trim, does the rubber sealing strip around the outside edge have a role in holding the thing on? Most of it tore away when the trim came off and I've no idea where to get a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help on this - I'm an (extremely) amateur in need!

I'd be very surprised if it's not the same as a pre facelift MK2.  Regarding the rubber strip, I don't think it holds anything in place, I think it's for sealing things up i.e. if something gets spilt inside the boot, not having whatever it is getting someone where it shouldn't.

• 3 years later...

That big black cabel from the left which goes right into the boot-lock system with a white end. That connects the boot-lock to the IC?

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this up, finally got round to doing my boot release handle, cleaned it all up ordered some new bulbs. ive come up against 2 felt washers that ive no idea where they go.

Its not on the pop fixings at each end, so that leaves me with the four bolts, yes i got them off without breaking, should there be 4 ? or bin job as theres always parts left over hahahahahahahaha

• 3 months later...

Very useful guide and discussion! My trunk lock is broken, so I cannot open the door. Is there a way to do this operation with a closed door, from inside?

1 hour ago, Matis said:

Very useful guide and discussion! My trunk lock is broken, so I cannot open the door. Is there a way to do this operation with a closed door, from inside?

Have you tried pressing the 'boot open' button on the key fob twice in succession?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matis said:

i was changing the tailgate so had no internal plastic cover on but shut my tail without thinking. I had to disconnect the wiring plug then remove the 3 torx bolts and force the tail up. If once in the car you dont mind butchering the plastics its do-able.