Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowering Springs

Zetecd

Can anyone tell me what's involved with fitting lowering springs, my m8 and me will be doing them I am under the idea that it is one off one on is this the case? Thanks

Can anyone tell me what's involved with fitting lowering springs, my m8 and me will be doing them I am under the idea that it is one off one on is this the case? Thanks

Its a pretty straight forward job really, just a bit time consuming.

The rears IIRC you will get away with jacking the car up both sides, removing the bottom shock bolt and wangling the spring out (I remember replacing rear shocks on a fiesta and the springs looked very easy to get out)

the fronts are a little harder, you need to remove the strut from the steering knuckle or remove the complete knuckle assembly with strut attached. not forgetting to undo the strut mount of course. to get the spring out of the strut you will then need to compress the spring.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the nut from the top of the shock without compressing the spring! They are under quite a bit of pressure. I done this with a rear shock from a mazda, or rather i was at the side of the car removing the lower arm and my mate undone the nut on the strut - holy s£*% did the spring go flying!

So you don't need to re alIne your wheels or anything of that nature?

So you don't need to re alIne your wheels or anything of that nature?

You would be advised to have the alignment checked after working on the suspension, you may well knock something out without realising.

What mk/year is your fiesta? I for some reason just assumed it was a mk6 as this is what ive worked on. It will be quite a similar job on any fiesta i would imagine.

yeah, that advice is about right..... here's what I done, just incase it helps. (I dunno what mk u have, but mine is a mk7)

I apologise if I'm saying what has already been said, but hopefully it helps the OP

Rears: - you don't even need to take the wheel off

jack the rear up, undo the bolt at bottom of shocky, get a mate to stand on your rear wheel and the spring just lifts out and sit the new one in. Get your mate to lift the alloy while you replace the bolt you took out. Do the same for the other side.... thats you done the rears.... easy.

Front: - now this is where the time comes in

Wheel off completely. undo 2 of the top strut bolts found in the engine bay and leave the third on but loose. Get under the wheel arch and undo the small bolt that holds the brake line in place (safety first!), undo the bolt at the top of the drop link, you will need an allen key in the middle of this to stop it rotating while you turn, take it right off. Now get a pole to wedge underneath the drop link and pull it out from the hole it's sticking through. Mow undo the two bolts at the bottom of the suspension that join the hub, the full suspension should pretty much fall out, apart from the third nut that you left earlier in the engine bay.... now undo it and pull ou the whole shock and spring. As said before, you MUST get some compressors here and compress the springs down.... DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT THEM! At the top of the whole unit there's a big bolt in the middle you can't miss. Take this off (you may need to pull the rubber up that runs down the middle of the shock and get a mole grip around this to stop it spinning) Once thats off, undo the spring compressors.... slowly..... keeping em roughly even at each side (there's no rush), the lift off the spring. Replace with new spring, ensuring its the right way up (usually if theres writing/serial numbers on the spring, have it the right way up).... compress the springs using the compressors, put the top mount back on, again using mole grips if necessary (advisable anyway to ensure tightness). once unit is back intact, you just have to put it back onto the car. get it line up properly, with lower bolts facing forward, fitting the top mounts through engine bay.... secure one nut in place by a couple of threads to get it sitting roughly right.... pull it roun and do up the bottom two nut. Grab a second jack (scissor jack will do) and put it under the disc.... raise the disc enough to put the top of the drop link back through the hole and get your allen key back out and do up the bolt. Remember to reconnect the brake line back to the secure position it was in before.... finish up by getting back into the engine bay and finishing off the 3 bolts in the top mount. Repeat for the other side and bobs your uncle.

PHEW!

Either that, or bring it to me and pay me £50 and a case of beer :D

Dannyboy

yeah, that advice is about right..... here's what I done, just incase it helps. (I dunno what mk u have, but mine is a mk7)

I apologise if I'm saying what has already been said, but hopefully it helps the OP

Rears: - you don't even need to take the wheel off

jack the rear up, undo the bolt at bottom of shocky, get a mate to stand on your rear wheel and the spring just lifts out and sit the new one in. Get your mate to lift the alloy while you replace the bolt you took out. Do the same for the other side.... thats you done the rears.... easy.

Front: - now this is where the time comes in

Wheel off completely. undo 2 of the top strut bolts found in the engine bay and leave the third on but loose. Get under the wheel arch and undo the small bolt that holds the brake line in place (safety first!), undo the bolt at the top of the drop link, you will need an allen key in the middle of this to stop it rotating while you turn, take it right off. Now get a pole to wedge underneath the drop link and pull it out from the hole it's sticking through. Mow undo the two bolts at the bottom of the suspension that join the hub, the full suspension should pretty much fall out, apart from the third nut that you left earlier in the engine bay.... now undo it and pull ou the whole shock and spring. As said before, you MUST get some compressors here and compress the springs down.... DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT THEM! At the top of the whole unit there's a big bolt in the middle you can't miss. Take this off (you may need to pull the rubber up that runs down the middle of the shock and get a mole grip around this to stop it spinning) Once thats off, undo the spring compressors.... slowly..... keeping em roughly even at each side (there's no rush), the lift off the spring. Replace with new spring, ensuring its the right way up (usually if theres writing/serial numbers on the spring, have it the right way up).... compress the springs using the compressors, put the top mount back on, again using mole grips if necessary (advisable anyway to ensure tightness). once unit is back intact, you just have to put it back onto the car. get it line up properly, with lower bolts facing forward, fitting the top mounts through engine bay.... secure one nut in place by a couple of threads to get it sitting roughly right.... pull it roun and do up the bottom two nut. Grab a second jack (scissor jack will do) and put it under the disc.... raise the disc enough to put the top of the drop link back through the hole and get your allen key back out and do up the bolt. Remember to reconnect the brake line back to the secure position it was in before.... finish up by getting back into the engine bay and finishing off the 3 bolts in the top mount. Repeat for the other side and bobs your uncle.

PHEW!

Either that, or bring it to me and pay me £50 and a case of beer :D

Dannyboy

sounds good to me :)

sounds good to me :)

lol, I'm off work tomorrow, had a few beers and the Mrs is on nightshift...... an unusually long post from me. But coming from someone thats done the work before..... thank you for agree-ing. :D

Thanks for all the help unfortunately I'm nightshift lol so no beers for me :(

Thanks for all the help unfortunately I'm nightshift lol so no beers for me :(

that reminds me, im dayshift tomorow so i need to get up at 6 :o bed time after american chopper..

that reminds me, im dayshift tomorow so i need to get up at 6 :o bed time after american chopper..

Gutting, after drinking 3 cans of stella and 3 litre bottles of peroni... Ive just remember I've got a stock count in the morning. ah well, 7 o clock rise for me, leave house at 8. Will be under the limit by then.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club