Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re-Blacking The Plastic Parts On The Outside Of The Car

savcom

My wife's Fiesta has black plastic mounts for the door mirrors that are turning white as time goes on. The car is black, the plastic should also be black. How can I restore the black plastic to its former glory?

Thanks

My wife's Fiesta has black plastic mounts for the door mirrors that are turning white as time goes on. The car is black, the plastic should also be black. How can I restore the black plastic to its former glory?

Thanks

You can buy some products from Halfords that will return the plastics to black...

you can get the cheaper option which is some of Halfords own or you can go more upmarket and Autoglym sell some 'Back to Black' which is good..you can get it in either spray form or liquid..

cheaper option

Hope this helps

Cheapest option - and as good as any - groundnut oil. Make sure the plastic are clean first - good scrub with an APC.

smooth peanut butter works a treat :D

Cheapest option - and as good as any - groundnut oil. Make sure the plastic are clean first - good scrub with an APC.

Impressive. If I can show a 'before' and an 'after' people will see just how effective.

The 'before'

fiesta_before.jpg

and ... the 'after'

fiesta_after.jpg

Just straightforward groundnut oil, in a glass, and a cloth. Rubbed into the plastic and the white just ... disappeared.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just bought some groundnut oil, guna wash the car and give it a go... Youve done a right job, hope mine turns out as good!

It should be said - that in this case the groundnut oil is masking the white marks - they should be cleaned off first with an All Purpose Cleaner, then the groundnut oil should be used to re-blacken the plastic.

Use a heat gun, ive done this with almost every car ive had.

Would it not be quicker, cheaper and easier to use the methods already said in this topic? Don't think i'd risk melting my plastics

Would it not be quicker, cheaper and easier to use the methods already said in this topic? Don't think i'd risk melting my plastics

Flame Thrower works too, for those who dont have a heat gun :P

ive used both methods, and a heat gun is way quicker and less hassle,

cheaper i doubt, my heat gun wont ever run out

there shouldn't be any risk of melting unless you let a 5 year old do it, the heat is applied by a steady passing movement, this doesn't allow heat to build up to the point of melting

bit of biking nonsense and what not... back to black, does the job i found... and a lil dash of wd-40 in some cases (weirdly enough)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club