Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

2 year MOT's

Steve

Government is considering changing MOT to two years. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Yes and No, I think a free interim inspection would be good, where you can go to a couple of garages and get it checked. Yes - would save a few quid in just the MOT fee, but No, because there are so many poor condition cars on the road, that given half a chance would be left in their poor state for up to 24 months just to save themselves a few quid!

I dont think its worth the risk!

Yes i think that's a good idea every 2 years but then again people will start to take !Removed! and drive round in sheds but when the time of year comes and everything is due 2 year mot is a great idea.

even if they did change it to 2 year intervals i think i would still take it every year. I carry out all my own car maintenance and quite a few others so im confident my car and the rest of them are in good shape but having the yearly check brings anything to light that i may have missed.

personally i think that 2 years is a ridiculous idea, there are some bangers on the road right now so what will they be like after 2 years?

Yes and No, I think a free interim inspection would be good, where you can go to a couple of garages and get it checked. Yes - would save a few quid in just the MOT fee, but No, because there are so many poor condition cars on the road, that given half a chance would be left in their poor state for up to 24 months just to save themselves a few quid!

I dont think its worth the risk!

Remember though, I think police can still stop you for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition

Remember though, I think police can still stop you for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition

very true, but how many cars dont have insurance and get away with it for a while?

very true, but how many cars dont have insurance and get away with it for a while?

I guess, but a lot less now because of the new law in place for fining people who do not have insurance and not SORN and ANPR

Very true indeed, but still, you could have a bulb out, or a worn bushing, something small that would fail the MOT but would still be very difficult to get your vehicle confiscated for. Unless its an obvious and major mechanical issue, the police most likely will not sieze the vehicle. they wont do a full vehicle inspection to find a worn bushing, or something that may affect performance at the roadside, and they wont recover the car to get it looked at. Unless they have a valid reason they cannot sieze a vehicle unless it is obviously faulty / dangerous / illegal to drive on the roads.

its one of those that can be swings and roundabouts, but I agree ANPR has revolutionised and made the police work a lot easier!

• 4 weeks later...

Annual MoT tests could be a thing of the past, despite fears of an increased number of deaths and injuries, if a Government plan comes into force.

Under the new plan, new cars would need an MoT after four years; cars under ten years would only need an MoT every two years, with only vehicles over 10-years-old needing an annual check.

However, a study commissioned by the government appears to undermine this plan, saying that the move would be 'likely to have adverse road safety consequences.'

Vehicle defects account for three per cent of road accidents according to The Transport Research Laboratory, with motoring groups fearing that biannual checks will cause an extra 55 deaths on British roads every year.

With over 23 million MoT tests taking place each year, garages have also condemned this proposal, claiming jobs will be lost as repair work to get vehicles through the test will fall off.

Despite all the arguments against, apparently the Department for Transport is still keen to push ahead with these changes.

source: http://uk.autoblog.com/2011/08/23/government-to-relax-mot-rules-despite-concerns/

good idea, but next time your driving at night and how many people are driving with blown bulbs on either front or back or both :o now if they dont care about their bulbs whats to say they dont care about the rest of the vehicle.

personally i think they should turn their attention away from this and look at the current problems...like road conditions and price of fuel!

i hate putting my car through MOT every year, but there is so many bangers on the road, it just gives them more excuses to drive bags of s**t around

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club