Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Advice

bigjimmy464

Hi Guys

Due to a 'prang' I find myself having to get a new car. I'm a fan of Mondeos and have seen one at at local dealer for £5975 — and they won't move on the price. It's a Mondeo Titanium X 140 TDCi, 5-door on an 07 plate. The price is within my range and the car is absolutely beautiful and has all the mod-cons and gadgets that us blokes like!

The stumbling block is the mileage... It's 115500!!! It does come with a free 6 months ALL parts and labour warranty, so if the engine blows up in that time I'm covered and I would .very probably extend the warranty anyway.

I'm really not at all mechanically minded but is this sort of mileage ok on a diesel? Do diesels literally just go on for ever and ever?

I would be looking at keeping the car for approx 5 or 6 years I guess and only do about 5000 miles per year on average.

Any advice anyone could give this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

James

i would never buy from a dealer they are always over priced.

if it help i have just brought a 2008 mondeo titanium X 40.000 miles with all the trimmings heated seats electric seats and i even got the touch screen sat nav ( £1800 extra ) and it only cost me £7000 from bca auctions.

if you have the ready cash to hand and not looking at finance i would recommend buying a car from a big auction compnay that take the fleet cars like bca or manhiem auctions.

Hi Sut

Many thanks for the info. My biggest stumbling though is, as you quite rightly say, having the 'ready cash'.

My biggest question is the high mileage, is this ok for a diesel, do they usually just run and run regardless of the mileage. How about the other major parts: clutch, brake system etc?

I appreciate your response Sut and maybe that's an avenue I can explore.

James

Hi Sut

Many thanks for the info. My biggest stumbling though is, as you quite rightly say, having the 'ready cash'.

My biggest question is the high mileage, is this ok for a diesel, do they usually just run and run regardless of the mileage. How about the other major parts: clutch, brake system etc?

I appreciate your response Sut and maybe that's an avenue I can explore.

James

If the engine has been looked after, 115k miles isn't a great deal for a diesel. but like any modern diesel car, injectors and dual mass flywheels dont last forever, very expensive jobs too.

As the subframe has to be removed to get at the clutch/flywheel it makes it a very expensive job as its labour intensive.

If the car seems good, runs well and you generally get a good impression i wouldnt let the above problems put you off buying - modern diesels are all the same now.

HI

as stef123 above says i would not really worry over the high miles as long as it a good and ( real ) service history these engines will run forever if well looked after,

i was burnt once when buying a car with perfect service history only to find out a few weeks later that the history was fake and had been added by the garage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2002 mk3 ghia x tdci currently on the ramp having new clutch, flywheel and starter motor fitted, its done 152k and the only other major thing was a set of injectors about a year ago. These are parts that i found out are common after a certain amount of high mileage. Bought the car with 82k on it and i was doing about 600 miles a week so soon built up the mileage, only other things are the usual consumables and a seized caliper.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club