Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A New Focus

Mark.W

Hi everyone,

After test-driving a few different cars recently I've decided to get a new Focus - it'll be my first car I buy brand new :)

There's a few minor details I'm still umming and aching about and was hoping I could get some some advice from people who know what they're talking about other than a salesman.

1) Sony System vs. Navigation System

The idea of having a built-in satnav is very appealing - I currently keep my satnav in the glovebox, and having to get it out and set it up is both annoying, and with 2 wires (power and audio) trailing around the car it looks very ugly.

However, I have 2 reservations about getting the built-in system. First of all, it looks like the Sony System provides better sound quality and may have more features than Ford's own system. Is this the case? Is there any noticeable difference in the sound quality between the two?

Secondly, I'm not sure what to expect from the system. I've used many different satnavs and some are great, and others rubbish. I currently use a tomtom which works great and downloads new maps and such for free - is the Ford system on par with, for example, a tomtom, or is it more sort of thrown together? I really don't know what to expect. Specifically:

- How do you download new maps? How up to date are the maps?

- Does it warn you of speed cameras?

- Can you listen to your music while using the satnav? If so, does the music fade out when a command is given?

- Can it give an accurate time of arrival at destination?

- Does it read road names?

- What areas does it cover? Just UK or Europe too?

2) Sunroof

I'm considering the sunroof option - I know it's not something many people go for, but I quite like sunroofs as a way of just getting a bit more light in. Something odd in the brochure is that it says "not with overhead console" - the salesman I spoke to didn't know what this meant, does anybody know? Does it perhaps mean having the sunroof looses the overhead lighting?

Thanks in advance for any help. Any other general thoughts or advice on buying a new Focus would be greatly appreciated too :)

This is an overhead console, Basically a bigger console that surrounds the courtesy light with a tray for your sunglasses. You will still get a courtesy light but just a basic one. I'd imagine with a sunroof there is no space for the bigger overhead console.

Hope this helps.

post-4699-0-75088300-1312736267_thumb.jp

post-4699-0-09408000-1312736424_thumb.jp

Hi and welcome to the forum, I faced the same dilemma and I drove cars with both the sat nav and the sony systems. There were four reasons that made me keep to the sony system;

1)The sat nav head unit looks are very plain, the sony looks much more like a premium system.

2) You lose Speakers with the sat nav, I know this for sure by comparing the two systems in Etis.

3) Despite the sat nav having a slightly larger screen it cannot compete on features found by those such as tomtom or garmin for a fraction of the cost.

4) Map updates on the ford will be less frequent and cost more than the standalone rivals.

You've already got a decent enough tomtom, it's a good way of saving £550 by keeping it. Have you seen this alternative http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/Garmin_MirrorNavi_Mirror_Mounted_Sat_Nav_System_SB_GA02_10-05_F1700935-1

Hi, not sure about the overhead console might refer to the maplights...

Chris

Does anyone have a new Focus with the satellite navigation? About to order a Titanium but in Australia the navigation system becomes standard, so I'm tossing between just ordering now and get the Sony unit or holding for the navigation equipped version? Thanks in advance :-)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club