Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Level

zev

Hi all I'm here again. I've just topped up my water level. My question is how often should it be topped up as I only did it a couple months ago. This could be normal for the focus. My last car was a vectra and I topped it once a year.

Zev

presuming you are referring to the Coolant level, are you using just water, or are you using an anti-freeze / coolant compound? if you are just using Water, then it could be just evaporating.

Otherwise, you could have a leak in the thermostat housing area, or a leak from the rad.

Yes sorry the coolant. I've been using a ready mixed coolant. Its the orange/pink coolant used by ford or so I hear. I'll get the mechanic to have a look to see what's going on. Thanks for your reply.

Zev

Hi all I'm here again. I've just topped up my water level. My question is how often should it be topped up as I only did it a couple months ago. This could be normal for the focus. My last car was a vectra and I topped it once a year.

Zev

Hello zev, try replacing your coolant reservoir cap before you do anything expensive. I had a similar-sounding problem with another car, no actual coolant leak but the level falling slowly and needing a top up every few weeks. Took off the old cap and I could see there was a deep groove in the rubber seal, so the coolant was probably evaporating from the bottle. Fitted a new cap and all was fine again, no loss of coolant after that (and the cap only cost about £3 or something from Halfords).

Hi Airflow, I have noticed a slight fluid spot on my drive but there wasn't any fluid spots through the summer. My friend suggested its condensation, since the weather has cooled the fluid spot on my drive has returned, but I've still had coolant loss throughout. Mmm strange but as you say I will try a different cap 1st. Fingers crossed a new cap will fix the problem an it is just condensation from the engine.

Zev

Hi Airflow, I have noticed a slight fluid spot on my drive but there wasn't any fluid spots through the summer. My friend suggested its condensation, since the weather has cooled the fluid spot on my drive has returned, but I've still had coolant loss throughout. Mmm strange but as you say I will try a different cap 1st. Fingers crossed a new cap will fix the problem an it is just condensation from the engine.

Zev

Hi,without wanting to sound alarmist(if that is the rest word)you could have a water pump leak,not that i am saying you have but its worth checking it out.

My car will be having a service in the next couple weeks so will have it checked then. Thanks

Zev