Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New

Sam C

After selling my beloved 325ti due to doing a lot of miles, the massive cost of running a petrol car and the general cost of running the thing, I sold it and opted into the company car scheme. I have ordered a Frozen White Zetec S 1.6TDCi with leather, bluetooth, keyless and interior pack 1. Unfortunately because it has been spec'd up it is not due to be delivered to the dealer until 10th September. In the mean time, I am working my way through the various pool cars....

The first one was an 08 plate Clio 1.2 petrol, in full on poverty spec. This is an awful little car (made worse by the fact that it has had a very hard life). It rolls like jelly round corners, has a driving position that is far too high, very light steering, some of the worst seats I have ever experienced (way too soft, too flat, no support, not bolstered enough) that make cornering even worse because they sink as the car leans, a gutless engine that sounds rather strained at motorway speeds and a !Removed! gear box. Anyway, the lease was up on Monday so it has now gone and has been replaced with a 10 plate Fiesta Edge 1.4 TDCi.

I was a bit worried about it being an entry level model, however having done a 100 odd miles in it already, I have realised that it really is a fantastic little car and so much better than the Clio (I am not anti-french cars, my old Clio was great and so were the RS versions that friends and family have had). I am genuinely very impressed with it - it has a good driving position, reasonable seats with lots of adjustment, a lovely gearbox (better than all three MINI's I had and my BMW), good handling, its a nice place to sit, OK fuel economy (56mpg at the mo) and it is a lot quicker than I expected having come from a 193bhp straight six. Downsides are an engine that sounds agricultural on start up / idle and a few bits of interior plastic that feel a not cheap. I found the Clio easier for eco driving because it was so bad to drive, whereas the Fiesta handles well and feels quite eager.

I'm really excited about getting my Zetec S now - I'm hoping that it will build upon all of the positives, especially with an extra 28bhp. September seems like a very long way away! Anyway, here are a few pics after a very quick wash - it is in desperate need of a proper clean (clay, polish, seal, wax etc ) which I am hoping to do this weekend.

Here are a few pics (sorry for the rubbish pics, I only had my phone to hand as it was getting dark and the camera battery was dead).

Cheers

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0063-1.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067-1.jpg

Hi Sam,

September will fly around shortly, I had to wait months which became almost painful lol.

I take it you get assigned a pool car for a while if you've gone to the trouble of glaying/waxing etc? It looks good, theres a midnight(?) blue fiesta that lives up the top of my street, always looks nice and is a change from the more common (erm I mean popular ;) ) vision blue colour.

Paul :)

I've got this particular one until mine arrives, so I don't mind giving it some TLC. And I have car cleaning OCD ever since I joined a BMW forum. Even worse, I enjoy it! I think the Ocean Blue will look great with a decent coat of wax on.

Do they still do ocean blue? I thought it had been discontinued.

My fiesta is in ocean blue and it is gorgeous, I don't think much of the ink blue they replaced it with though.

Did you get bluetooth and USB or just bluetooth?

I don't know if they still do it or not, but it is a really nice colour when its clean. The car has no options on it. I have ordered bluetooth for my Zetec S, when it eventually turns up!

Look great to me! Good decision switching over from the BMW, they are great cars with good engines but are expensive to run.

My father many years ago had an E30 M3 with the i4 engine, he said it was a fantastic car. You don't see many of the old E30s around anymore, most have gone to the place in the sky or had their engines blown up lol.

September will soon come!

My father many years ago had an E30 M3 with the i4 engine, he said it was a fantastic car. You don't see many of the old E30s around anymore, most have gone to the place in the sky or had their engines blown up lol.

What a car!!!!! I could even dare to say: priceless...

I love the E30, not many left even of the shopping varieties which is a shame. I was followed the other day by an E30 M3 and it looked so small compared to modern cars. I saw an M3 GTS this morning was I went passed Donnington which looked awesome, but was huge.

Personally, my two favourite BM shapes are the E46 and E39. They are both so well proportioned and look great with the M pack.

Not many modern cars really excite me, I'd much rather have a 993 than a 997 Porsche for example. The new Fiesta seems great though, it doesn't weigh loads and isn't huge like so many other small cars. I like the design as well, especially in Zetec S form.

You are right the E30 3 series does look small compared to modern cars, mind it seems a lot of the older cars look smaller compared to modern cars. Compare the original MK1 Golf to the latest generation, it's got bigger and heavier as the years have gone on.

The E46 is a very nice shape and as you say well proportioned - I do love older cars, my Dad also had an Audi 80GT which was also really nice, but the creature comforts we expect on newer cars are hard to resist. Power steering, air conditioning etc. I think the best combination (and if I had the money lol) would be something modern and reliable, like my Fiesta, but an old BMW or Audi for sunny weekends and with the space to keep them locked away in a garage away from vandals.

There was Mrk 3 Polo GTi parked by work yesterday. I couldn't believe how tiny it looked. The fiesta is the only car that seems to have bucked the trend for getting huge. The latest Corsa isn't my smaller than my 325ti was when you see them next to each other. I can't wait for the Zetec S to arrive.

I like older cars and some of the guys I work with can't understand why. I really like big old German barges like the 7 series and original A8.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club