Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Should I Use For The Spare Wheel?

Glasgow_Mike

Hi,

New to the forum but have so far found it an excellent source of info for my new car.

Bought a 60 plate zs a few weeks ago and I'm loving it so far, made some minor mods so far but all cosmetic so far. Never owned a car that doesn't have a spare and would much prefer this over the gunk ford give you. I'm considering buying another street pack alloy for this purpose but was wondering a few things: if it fits? Is there is any way of securing it? Is this a better option than the space saver? Also wondering if I go down the space saver route what size should I get to be equal with the alloys?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Hello and welcome :)

plenty of fiesta owners so im sure they will be able to help you out/advise

Probably easier/better/faster/cheaper to go to a breakers and buy a complete boot kit from a MK6, MK6.5 or MK7 with the option.

<£50 should get you the wheel, jack, brace and tow hook. The benefit of doing it this way is that the styrofoam insert is included which holds everything rattle free.

Another member here has a streetpack alloy in their well and it fits fine.

Thanks for the welcome and replies so far everyone, leaning towards a spare alloy just incase the wheel it's replacing needs repair work, at least then I'd have a full size spare and wouldn't need to worry about the restrictions of a space saver, will wait tho until I've heard more opinions on the matter. Cheers again everyone.

Another member here has a streetpack alloy in their well and it fits fine.

It fits 'ok' but requires a custom holder for it and has no wheel brace holder or anything

I take it the custom holder isn't readily available? If I do go for the space saver what size does it need to be so that it's equal to the street pack alloy on the road?

I take it the custom holder isn't readily available? If I do go for the space saver what size does it need to be so that it's equal to the street pack alloy on the road?

Just get one from a Fiesta MK6/Mk6.5 or MK7. They are usually 14 or 15" but with massive tyres which makes them close to 17

The full alloy fits perfectly, in the hole, and sits only slightly high, and put in upside down you can use it as a bucket for all bits you may carry!

As markt says, fits perfectly, but only a little bit higher and of course the screw clamp won't fit..

To save marking your alloy spare if thats what you end up with, place a washing up bowl with a hole cut out of the base to fit over the raised bit on the floor to put your junk in then put the wheel over the top outside up.

If you hunt around and find a bowl or similar 16 inches in diameter the polystrene jack holder will fit as well as your bits and bobs.

Unless you are regulary airborne your spare will not be going anywhere.

Better option than the limited mileage limited speed space saver.

First thing I bought myself was a full size spare alloy, loads of companies selling them on the internet (some are even Ford suppliers). Just make sure you get a bi-directional tyre fitted (IE. can be fitted either side of the car). As comment by other folks, it fits perfectly in the boot. A simple jack can easily be obtained from a breakers yard, or in my case... off good old eBay.

Thanks again everyone for responding, much appreciated.

I'm leaning more towards the alloy at the moment. Given how low profile the tyres are on the sp alloys my major concern is that if 1 goes for whatever reason chances are the alloy will be damaged and I don't want to be restricted whilst repairs etc are carried out. I've got a jack and all the other gubbins so a bowl to carry them in sounds like a good plan, more so if it fits snuggly within the alloy.

Are there any legal requirements for the spare to be secured within the car? A chap has been in touch who custom builds the clamp so I may look into getting one made to hold it in place, can't say i'm in the air much but in a worst case scenario I wouldn't want the alloy being free to move into the cabin.

Was thinking about getting foam of some sort to level out the the boot if the alloy sits high, has anyone tried this?

One last thing I have also been considering is what to do come winter (starts next week in Scotland :( ). In Glasgow there are more potholes than there is actual tarmac, is it worth buying a cheap set of steel's to stick on with winter tyres? How drastic an effect will this have on the cars handling?

One last thing I have also been considering is what to do come winter (starts next week in Scotland :( ). In Glasgow there are more potholes than there is actual tarmac, is it worth buying a cheap set of steel's to stick on with winter tyres? How drastic an effect will this have on the cars handling?

Yes definitely. I use my steel wheels & winter tyres from October-March and It drastically improves the handling and everyone should do it!

Never owned a car that doesn't have a spare and would much prefer this over the gunk ford give you.

out of interest how many punctures have you had since you have been driving a car?

out of interest how many punctures have you had since you have been driving a car?

Thus far none, only had the car for a month though. Been driving over 10 years now and truth be told the worst I have had is a slow punture on my old mx5, never had tyres as low profile as the zs and the streets of Glasgow have never been worse for potholes which is why i'm concernded.

Does anyone have a good recomendation for a cheap set of steels? I do think thats the way forward for winter.

Thus far none, only had the car for a month though. Been driving over 10 years now and truth be told the worst I have had is a slow punture on my old mx5, never had tyres as low profile as the zs and the streets of Glasgow have never been worse for potholes which is why i'm concernded.

Does anyone have a good recomendation for a cheap set of steels? I do think thats the way forward for winter.

same here only had slow punctures which is why I carry I small cheap compressor which has never failed to get me home or too a garage/tyre dealer. I've lost count how many miles I've carried a brand new never used tyre in the boot, ok so not having a spare might be scary but I'm prepared to give it a try for the next couple of years and see if not having a spare really matters (24.000 miles so far with no worries).

As for the winter wheels, I guess as you are up the top end of the UK you will get a 'little' more snow than us middle Englanders but both my car and the wheels survived last winter driving in some serious white stuff, but I think you have a good point.

same here only had slow punctures which is why I carry I small cheap compressor which has never failed to get me home or too a garage/tyre dealer. I've lost count how many miles I've carried a brand new never used tyre in the boot, ok so not having a spare might be scary but I'm prepared to give it a try for the next couple of years and see if not having a spare really matters (24.000 miles so far with no worries).

As for the winter wheels, I guess as you are up the top end of the UK you will get a 'little' more snow than us middle Englanders but both my car and the wheels survived last winter driving in some serious white stuff, but I think you have a good point.

I've only had slow punctures on 1 Ka and 2 Fiesta, but when I got my MK7 with no spare, I hit a pothole in the dark within a month bending wheel, then upgraded to 17" and I got it valued for trade in last december, and the sunday night before christmas, in the middle of nowhere on the A1 heading north approx 10pm I hit something that rattled under the car, totally shredding the wheel, and guess what? No spare!

So for trade in I had to revert to 16" (Lucky I saved them!) and had 3 spare 17" so picked the best (2 have plenty of tread) and put it in the boot, and touch wood, no problem since getting it 13th January.

On previous Titanium, I hit that pothole, on passenger front so new tyre, got a screw in passenger rear, new tyre, front drivers had previously been punctured, and sealed which came loose with water in it flapping round wobbling the car, new tyre, On 17" it was passenger front I also wiped out again, on getting it home, and putting a spare on, that went flat.

In the previous 8 years, I've never had a full flat, just slow punctures and wear and tear!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club