Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus - 12V Supply

Stuarty

Hello All, first time poster here!!

Just got a new Focus and had for three weeks. Went to try and use the 12v supply for the first time the other day with no joy, as there was no power. We have checked the fuse and it is in good working order. Where else may the problem lie? I like to use the 12v supply often for phone charger and sat nav.

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Just a few things to check if you haven't already..

- What have you plugged in to the socket? I don't know about the new Focuses but yesterday my friend's Peugeot's cigar lighter socket didn't seem to work.. turned out the pin in the centre of the sat nav charger wasnt long enough to reach the back and make contact (though it reached on my 2002 Focus's smaller socket). Maybe test this by putting in something plastic like a pen, mark how deep it goes, then compare to the plug you're using. Can you plug in something else?

-My Focus gives power to the socket all the time, my old Honda Civic only did with the ignition on. Have you tried that?

-Switch your sidelights on, does your socket illuminate?

-On my 2002 Focus at least, the socket is protected by TWO fuses.. Fuse 7 in the engine fusebox AND fuse 47 in the passenger fusebox (though these fuse numbers are likely to be different on newer models)

-Are you able to get to the back of the socket and check whether the plug leads are attached? maybe it's come loose??

-Can you test for 12V at the socket with a meter?.. if you have 12V between the centre plate (at the back of the socket) and the metalwork of the car but not between the centre plate and the casing of the socket, then your socket is not earthed. You'd have to check your earthing point for corrosion (although that's unlikely on a newer model car, plus I don't know where it is)

Hope this helps in some way!

Mine does even without the key in the ignition. Most annoying as I have a roadhawk camera fitted to it and I have to manually pull it out every time I get out of the car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club