Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Start Doesn't Work Very Often

teejay28

I have a New Ford Focus 1.6TD Titanium 5dr and in the last 4 weeks it has been back to the garage 3 times and on every occasion the stop start function has not been working, the first time it went back the RAc had to get me there as the car wouldn't start at all the other 2 occasions I had the car booked in to sort the stop start out.

All the garage appear to have done on each occasion is charge the battery and checked the engine and wiring but after about 2 days the stop start stops working yet again

Has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong and why the battery needs to be charged every time it goes in, I only got the car on 30th June this year

If the battery needs charging everytime I could be that. There was a very small batch built with the wrong battery. The stop start engine needs a special battery not a normal one. We had one in for the same reason few months back. Changed battery and all was fine

I have a New Ford Focus 1.6TD Titanium 5dr and in the last 4 weeks it has been back to the garage 3 times and on every occasion the stop start function has not been working, the first time it went back the RAc had to get me there as the car wouldn't start at all the other 2 occasions I had the car booked in to sort the stop start out.

All the garage appear to have done on each occasion is charge the battery and checked the engine and wiring but after about 2 days the stop start stops working yet again

Has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong and why the battery needs to be charged every time it goes in, I only got the car on 30th June this year

Hi, when was your Focus built, early ones had issues with the fuel pump draining the battery...

Chris

The garage have said there was a recall to sort out the problem with the fuel pump working even if the car is parked up and turned off, they say they have sorted that problem so if thats right then it can't be the cause of the problems i'm having

I have exactly the same problem. Left car at dealers for past 2 weeks whilst on holiday. They have replaced 2 switches on clutch pedal, one switch on clutch master cylinder and ON/OFF switch on dashboard. Ford Field service Engineer called in and looked at it for 3 days !! Apparently next component to try is the 'GEM' (General Electrical Module or something)in the fusebox ?

Anyone know the correct battery rating for Stop/Start in case the dealers are looking too deeply ?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Update on mine, dealer phoned today and there is a Ford expert coming from Essex on the 14th who says he can fix my car. Didn't say how or anything, just he is confident he can resolve the stop/start issues. Perhaps it is a known problem ??

i like that he said "he knows whats wrongs and knows how to fix it" is it a knowledge is power thing? could he not tell the dealer and get your car fixed sooner?

i get that at work "oh i know whats wrong, i will fix it when i get there", "yeah how about you tell me, it will be faster"....you know what i mean.

anyways i hope you get this sorted mate.

Previous service visit the engineer said new GEM module was the next step but this new guy must be some sort of Guru cause he says the part is still on back order and he is not bringing it with him on the 14th !! I will repost after the 14th..............

Hmmm looking foward to hearing your results as I'm due to pick up a new focus with stop start on Saturday, tomo did you get to the bottom of the correct bettery which should be fitted??? Thanks for your help mate.

75AH is what the dealer said. Phoned mate up who's father has one that also suprisingly has stop/start issues but his is more down to the fact the system (on any manufacturer not just ford) is very, very tempremental. It has too many variables like outside temp, engine temp, battery voltage etc. etc.

One BMW owner I know says he wishes his 5 series was like my Focus system (in-operable) cause it drives him nuts LOL.

Hi, the variables are in the manual aren't they:

"The system may not shut down the

engine under certain conditions, for

example:

• To maintain the interior climate.

• Low battery voltage.

• The outside temperature is too low or too high.

• The driver's door has been opened.

• Low engine operating temperature.

• Low brake system vacuum.

• If a road speed of 10 kph (6 mph) has not been exceeded".

Do any of these apply?

Chris

Hi, the variables are in the manual aren't they:

"The system may not shut down the

engine under certain conditions, for

example:

• To maintain the interior climate.

• Low battery voltage.

• The outside temperature is too low or too high.

• The driver's door has been opened.

• Low engine operating temperature.

• Low brake system vacuum.

• If a road speed of 10 kph (6 mph) has not been exceeded".

Do any of these apply?

Chris

Every time I run the car?? Difficult to tell. The first time the system should cut in the manual override button on the dash lights up OFF and stays that way. If the above conditions are inhibiting the function I would expect that once the system meets the above criteria it should then start to operate. Mine just stays switched OFF. Doesn't matter if you do a 2 mile journey or a 200 mile journey. It doesn't work.

Hi, well if it is any help I get mine tomorrow so we should be able to make a comparison...

Chis

Hi, well if it is any help I get mine tomorrow so we should be able to make a comparison...

Chis

Went down the 1.6 route as well then ?

Tomo what mpg or you getting and what type of roads do you tend to use???

Tomo what mpg or you getting and what type of roads do you tend to use???

Use mostly Motorways and A roads. According to fuel computer, at the moment average is around 46 mpg. Car now has 2200 miles on. I need to fill up tomorrow so will brim it and do a more controlled measurement rather than relying on what the car is telling me.

Nice one mate, gives me something to measure up to when I get mine.

Hi,had the opportuninty to use it a couple of times today, seems ok to me...

Chris

well mines back in the garage again si hopefully i'll have some information when I eventually pick it up, at the moment i'm thinking it's not the stop start thats faulty but it's a battery problem as the garage have charged it 3 times now in about 5 weeks now there has to be a reason why they have to keep charging it everytime they look at it

Well I still haven't got the car back from the garage but the latest news from the garage is not only does stop start not when the air conditioning is on but now it doesn't work if you have the hearter set to the lowest temp it can go, can't wait to get it back and find out if it keeps working.

I'll update as soon as I get the car back and have it for the normal 48 hours before it stops working again

Hi, mine works fine when the A/C is on, it does, however it does start the engine up again when the temperature inside the cabin begins to rise. I can also understand the bit about the lowest heater setting, which it should not be set to anyway in normal use, something that the manual alludes too. Maybe if you keep you A/C set to that then this is the cause of your problem.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Pee'd off - dealer phoned at 16:00, technician cancelled repair on Stop/Start system and advised earliest date of 28th September. Anyone know who to moan to at Ford ?? (For what it's worth)

Hi, Ford CS, 0845 841 1111, although don't hold your breath. Did the dealership give a reason for the delay? No help to you I know but mine is working flawlessly...

Chris