Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has My Timing Belt Been Replaced?

masai

Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help...

I recently bought a 99 Focus 1.8 with no service history. As its quite old I should probably get the cambelt changed but noticed that on the existing belt there is a "MotorCraft" stamp on the belt. Do ford's come with those belts from new? Or has it already been replaced?

Thanks! :)

Hello,

I was hoping someone may be able to help...

I recently bought a 99 Focus 1.8 with no service history. As its quite old I should probably get the cambelt changed but noticed that on the existing belt there is a "MotorCraft" stamp on the belt. Do ford's come with those belts from new? Or has it already been replaced?

Thanks! :)

Hello,do the most sensible thing and get it changed as soon as possible,a stitch in time saves nine.Fords tend to come with a lot of Motorcraft stamped parts.As it has no history,it is difficult to determine whether it has been changed or not,having it changed will atleast give you that peace of mind,rather than running the risk of having it snap.

Cheers for the replies, I just wasnt sure if New fords come with motorcraft parts as standard. If it was a gates belt Im assuming it had been done and probably wouldn't bother right now as im skint! Correct me if im wrong but is the recommended interval every 10 years or 100,000 miles on a focus? Whatever comes 1st of cause.

I think your right, and will get it replaced next pay cheque, Any idea how much I should expect to pay from a local garage, Im guessing best to do the water pump too, anything else whilst Im at it!? Thanks.

It probably is 100,000 miles or ten years, it's the same on my Fiesta. I changed my Mum's boyfriend's timing belt and water pump in his 2001 Focus, with the same engine as yours. It's a really easy job even to do yourself, but it's something most garages will be able to do and if there's no service history you don't gain anything going to a main dealer - so shop around.

You may as well fit a whole kit, which will be the tensioners, pulleys and obviously the timing belt itself. This was the case when I tackled the job, I did buy the water pump seperately though. As others have said it's worth doing for peace of mind, if it goes then it can cost £££££.

Thankfully my MK5 Fiesta came with a FSH (main dealer) and I see the timing belt has been changed at around 77,000 miles or so during a major service, but as any car, if I was in any doubt I would change it!

Have booked it in next week, mechanic advised (as you suggest) the whole kit, water pump and auxiliary belt. Also gonna get a service done and rear wheel bearings. Hope it doesn't cost too much! :unsure: