Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Have you ever driven a dangerous road?

Steve

Has anyone ever driven a very dangerous road? Mountain range, rickety bridge etc? What is the most scariest place you have driven?

The scariest place I ever drove was Laredo, Texas. Mexicans either can't or don't want to understand the road signs, and they run stop signs, pass on the wrong side, and drive like maniacs. It's the only place I have ever almost been T-boned from behind while making a left turn. Crazy mexican guy swerved around to my left - he had a toddler sitting on his lap when he passed me! It's a little less crazy when you remember that we drive on the right side of the road here, but still an insane maneuver that could have wound up with severe injuries. Just one of the many stories about that city.

As for roads that were crazy without needing any extra help - I drove a semi truck cross-country for two years, so to me, mountains became just another day on the job. My favorite was a 15% downgrade in Pennsylvania. I'm going to drive there again just to get a picture of the bright yellow warning sign with flashing lights - "SPEED LIMIT 10 MPH next 3 MILES! ALL TRUCKS MUST STOP. ALL TRUCKS MUST CHECK BRAKES." I managed to get it up to 7 miles per hour - downhill. Hatfield, Pennsylvania - US-40 / National Road

And for the just plain WEIRD - Speed limit in the picture below - 70 MPH (Usually, 55 MPH for a 2 lane un-divided highway)

speedlimit70.jpg

I was driving a truck just like this one -

orangetruck-1.jpg

And my usual problem was weather - The snowstorm in this picture got MUCH worse (Obviously, I'm not going to take a picture while actually DRIVING In a snowstorm, and this was the last time I stopped on the trip). At one point, there was at least 6" of snow on the ground, and a car cut across the road infront of me. All you can do at that point is hit the brakes, hang off the air horn rope, and pray. No one got hurt, thankfully, but I'm pretty sure the guy driving the car had to change his underwear when he got home.

IMAGE_00089-1.jpg

i have to say the yorkshire moors roads are pretty dangerous during the winter...more specifically the A169...i got caught out last winter, had to abandon the car in a snow drift and call a Miltary taxi (MT driver) in a landrover defender out to rescue me...doesnt sound too bad but it was blizzard conditions, wouldnt even have made it with my artic gear on.

also during the summer you have to watch out for motorcyclists doing over a ton and caravaners...

The scariest place I ever drove was Laredo, Texas. Mexicans either can't or don't want to understand the road signs, and they run stop signs, pass on the wrong side, and drive like maniacs. It's the only place I have ever almost been T-boned from behind while making a left turn. Crazy mexican guy swerved around to my left - he had a toddler sitting on his lap when he passed me! It's a little less crazy when you remember that we drive on the right side of the road here, but still an insane maneuver that could have wound up with severe injuries. Just one of the many stories about that city.

As for roads that were crazy without needing any extra help - I drove a semi truck cross-country for two years, so to me, mountains became just another day on the job. My favorite was a 15% downgrade in Pennsylvania. I'm going to drive there again just to get a picture of the bright yellow warning sign with flashing lights - "SPEED LIMIT 10 MPH next 3 MILES! ALL TRUCKS MUST STOP. ALL TRUCKS MUST CHECK BRAKES." I managed to get it up to 7 miles per hour - downhill. Hatfield, Pennsylvania - US-40 / National Road

And for the just plain WEIRD - Speed limit in the picture below - 70 MPH (Usually, 55 MPH for a 2 lane un-divided highway)

I was driving a truck just like this one -

orangetruck-1.jpg

And my usual problem was weather - The snowstorm in this picture got MUCH worse (Obviously, I'm not going to take a picture while actually DRIVING In a snowstorm, and this was the last time I stopped on the trip). At one point, there was at least 6" of snow on the ground, and a car cut across the road infront of me. All you can do at that point is hit the brakes, hang off the air horn rope, and pray. No one got hurt, thankfully, but I'm pretty sure the guy driving the car had to change his underwear when he got home.

wow cool post and pics. I'd love to tour around the US and have some long road trips.

• 9 months later...

That's the reason I was driving the orange semi truck - just a lot of fun! Some stress too but mostly fun seeing places I had never been before and will probably never see again.

Those tiny roads in Port Issac Cornwall. JEEZ

Has anyone ever driven a very dangerous road? Mountain range, rickety bridge etc? What is the most scariest place you have driven?

Would driving in Banja Luka, Sarajevo and Šipovo in Bosnia during the war there count?

Minefields and snipers were the order of the day.

Fun Fun Fun.

Also went to Albania, Iraq, Kosovo just for giggles.

Does the M6 count..? :rolleyes: Not the road itself, but some of the drivers! :ph34r:

Does the M6 count..? :rolleyes: Not the road itself, but some of the drivers! :ph34r:

Are there snipers? ;)

Are there snipers? ;)

Yes, but they come in the form of four wheels, an engine and a Shell and come zooming from nowhere!! :blink:

Had the pleasure of watching an undercover beemer hiding behind lorries after pulling out from the hard shoulder just as we drove past him and this black mondeo come flying past us from nowhere then undertaking cars infront! Then the beemer came flying by and a little later down the road pulling the mondy over! I felt like i was watching traffic cops or something haha can you tell I don't see this happen alot up here? :lol:

the N53 from Dundalk Co.Louth to castleblany Co.Monaghan,

the R747 from arklow co.wicklow to woodenbridge co.wicklow,

also got lost driving around parts of Finglas in Dublin :ph34r::angry::ph34r::angry::ph34r: lmao had to pull in and change me underpants :lol:

Know the N53, can be hairy enough. Never done the R747. Have also gotten lost in Finglas once, and it won't happen again!

The N56 from Dungloe to Glenties, Co. Donegal. None of it is great but a particular stretch called the Meenacarn Bends...absolute madness. Top Gear came for a look but couldn't handle it so went for that stroll in the park in Bolivia instead!

Seriously though, although not 'the world's most dangerous roads' when you see some the ones on shows like that, a lot of the roads up here are dodgy enough. Worst thing is once you start on them you have to finish because turning round is not an option...literally!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club