Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hot Footwell!!

Sam1

Hi All,

Have only had my Fiesta for a month or so. But noticed when im sitting in the front passenger seat the side of the centre console in the footwell gets very hot. Felt underneath yesterday and something under there would burn you if you kept your hand around for long enough. There is also a loose piece of plastic under there too.

Had a quick search on Google and found one guy had posted on Parkers noting the smae problem, his Ford dealership told him it was a known problem when the air con was on, but i dont have air con.

Its still under warranty so will take it in if others have/ have had the problem.

Also are there 'lumps' in the plastic on other n/s fiestas on that piece of plastic, i got it into my head yesterday it had been getting so hot down there that it had been melting the plastic.

Thanks

Sam

Hi All,

Have only had my Fiesta for a month or so. But noticed when im sitting in the front passenger seat the side of the centre console in the footwell gets very hot. Felt underneath yesterday and something under there would burn you if you kept your hand around for long enough. There is also a loose piece of plastic under there too.

Had a quick search on Google and found one guy had posted on Parkers noting the smae problem, his Ford dealership told him it was a known problem when the air con was on, but i dont have air con.

Its still under warranty so will take it in if others have/ have had the problem.

Also are there 'lumps' in the plastic on other n/s fiestas on that piece of plastic, i got it into my head yesterday it had been getting so hot down there that it had been melting the plastic.

Thanks

Sam

Is your car a diesel mate, as if it is it could be the DPF diesel Particulate system, recirculating it does this every couple of thousand miles, says in the manual not to park the car over leaves or paper as when its circulating it could set them on fire :) ,

lennys most likely right my mates doozle fiesta had exactly the same problem and it just went away :)

says in the manual not to park the car over leaves or paper as when its circulating it could set them on fire :) ,

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hi All,

Thanks

Sam

Not sure how hot it got, but I was removing that panel the other day and it was quite warm, so it might not be a fault as such.

The plastic trims are different shapes on either side of the center console, so I don't think its melted - the texture probably would have distorted if it had melted and there would be a smell of melting/burnt plastic.

this is a design fault and is caused by the hot water pipes touching the panel,ford usually just lag the pipe in the hope it stops the heat transferring

this is a design fault and is caused by the hot water pipes touching the panel,ford usually just lag the pipe in the hope it stops the heat transferring

Unfortunately another fault in design with the fiesta is its ability to gain air in to the system easily check my post and pictures from last year Click Here

I myself was going to buy a MK7 fiesta until i found the radiator is mounted inside the sub frame, although buying the focus wasn’t much better as I’ve got the DPF to deal with since it’s a 1.6TDCI not a 1.8 and also the focus has a fault with the back water jet pipe ripping the paint from the body Click Here

also the Zetec S and RS focus have problems with the lack of mudflaps been fitted, and the ride height combines to stones ripping the paint off the side skirts, thankfully a guy on eBay is selling a excellent set of flaps to combat this factor Click Here also pictured below also the RS has a plastic box for the inlet manifold and under heavy speed or rev

Apparently cracks and spits oil all over the bonnet and engine, that’s worse than the CV joint rubber casing splitting covering your tightly spoked alloys with grease, causing you to break your fingers trying to clean between the spokes,

Basically what I’m trying to say is don’t feel bad guys all the fords and other manufacturers have problems, being able to share these problems is comforting as its not any individuals problem but finding solutions to these problems can be fun part, and it keeps us all on this forum.:D

P1010110.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi Sam. Did u ever get to the bottom of this issue? I've got the same problem on my focus.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 2010powen, looks like I have a similar problem, don't suppose you happen to found out the cause of the issue and a solution?

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, 2010powen said:

Hi Sam. Did u ever get to the bottom of this issue? I've got the same problem on my focus.

Exhaust leak would be my guess - hole in the manifold/downpipe?

Get the toilet paper out and do the old toilet paper trick!

Or just stick yer hand in and see if you get third degree burns!

lol

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Peter Belfast said:

Hi 2010powen, looks like I have a similar problem, don't suppose you happen to found out the cause of the issue and a solution?

hi peter, to be honest haven't really looked into it as I've been meaning to call at a  scrap to see if maybe something is missing on mine ( maybe a heat shield or something?) but has it happens, the mother in law is buying the  same car in a few weeks, so when she does I am going to have a good look at hers and see if theres any differences. will update once I have 

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, 2010powen said:

hi peter, to be honest haven't really looked into it as I've been meaning to call at a  scrap to see if maybe something is missing on mine ( maybe a heat shield or something?) but has it happens, the mother in law is buying the  same car in a few weeks, so when she does I am going to have a good look at hers and see if theres any differences. will update once I have 

Thanks, would be nice to know what happens. I saw something somewhere saying this was an issue with ford and all they do is insulate the pipe with lagging to insulate. Think I'll give that a try and hope for best. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2018 at 8:07 AM, Peter Belfast said:

Thanks, would be nice to know what happens. I saw something somewhere saying this was an issue with ford and all they do is insulate the pipe with lagging to insulate. Think I'll give that a try and hope for best. 

Hi finally an update. Was actually really simple to find the problem. I removed the plastic trim at the bottom of the footwell ( 1 bolt ) and at the bottom of the heater matrix there is what looks like a plastic base. Mine is all broke ( am guessing from when previous owner had the matrix replaced ) so is allowing all the warm air to escape. Had a look at the mother in law's car and hers is all intact and not leaking any air. 

How I am going to repair this, I have no idea. My guess is I'll remove all trim and see if any way can get broken piece out. But that's for another day lol!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club