Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Electical/battery Woes

DamInc

Hi all.

Bought a 2001 Y plate 1.8 LX Mondeo about two months ago. Drove fine and no issues. We then went camping one weekend and I wanted to use the cigarette lighter for a cooler box. I note that there's tin foil or something in there and it sparks when taking it out. Get to the camp site and left this plugged in whilst we got tent up. Next day I try and move the car and it won't start. Doing that clickety, flashing light thing when the battery is knackered (had this happen to my MK2 Mondeo). Phone the AA and he tells me the battery is completely stuffed and I'll need a new one. He puts it in and all good.

Later that day I'm driving and head towards a left hand turn and brake. The battery light comes on and I feel like I've lost the power steering. We get home and there's no further sign and, stupidly, I ignore it as something to do with the new battery (I am not mechanically minded whatsoever).

All good until a week ago and the engine management light comes on. Occasionally I'll see this battery light flash on. This morning I'm driving to work and the car starts the battery light again on but now the oil light too. It then seems to lose all electrics. The trip computer goes off, as does radio, however I can still drive it. Power comes back. Then all off again. It then has all lights flashing and car cuts out completely. Like it stalled whilst driving. It then won't start.

AA man comes again and I describe the issue. He says alternator. Measures the battery and it's got no charge. Changes it for a full one and turns it over and measures again and says definitely alternator. Get it to garage and they put in a new one for me.

Excellent! Problem solved. Well, no. I drive it off the garage and take it for a spin and the battery light comes on again. FFS! I note it only seems to do this at low revs. It's very intermittent. It disappears as soon as I give it some revs. Seems to make no difference if I'm braking or not. I take it back to the Garage and they take it for a spin and don't see it. They're a bit mystified and say if it happens further or anything else happens take it back. I take it home and nothing happens. I take it out tonight and battery light comes on again and goes off. I then come to a round about and brake and battery and oil light come on then other lights flash and it's stalled whilst driving. :(

To say I'm frustrated with this Mondeo would be an understatement. I was meant to be going away tomorrow but I won't risk it. The alternator was apparently knackered but I'm wondering if something else caused the alternator to be stuffed but which is the main underlying issue.

Does anyone have experience of this or any idea I could take to the garage? Thanks in advance!

a 2001 car could have the smart charge system on it,this requires a silver calcium battery,do you know what battery was fitted?

• 3 weeks later...

Tin foil in the cigaret lighter means some one is shorting out the electrics, if this has been removed and your electrical problems started from then I would get an auto electrician to look at the problem starting with the cigaret lighter.

You have new battery, you have new alternator, must be a short then

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club