Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Decisions

TcH

So in about a weeks time i will be ordering my Fiesta Zetec S.

Theres just a few issues im having firstly is im struggling with a colour and secondly whether to get a diesel or petrol.

Now i thought i had my heart set on Frozen White but after seeing mikesters red zetec s (been lurking the forums for a bit :P) and then seeing one in the flesh made me want one even more, trouble making my mind up.

As for petrol or diesel, i do drive a fair bit to work due to working at leeds bradford airport and living 15 miles away, so is the mpg on the diesel worth it?

Any and all input will be greatly taken into consideration :)

Tom

So in about a weeks time i will be ordering my Fiesta Zetec S.

Any and all input will be greatly taken into consideration :)

Tom

Welcome to the forum I have a 1.6TDCI which is available in the fiesta and a tank which is around 50litres does 862km

the system displays 999km but according to the trip computer im getting 862

that's on country roads driving between 80-100km a full tank lasts me two weeks costs me €62.48 last time I filled,

although 15miles isint that bad if you went petrol and the car was a 1.4 you would probably get six days out of a tank.

i used to be a pure petrol head but ive grown to love the diesel and the saving of using it, i wouldnt go back to petrol again.:)

although in the diesel theirs the dreaded DPF :angry: diesel filter has to be topped up and so on, basicly a money spinner that is attached after the CAT on the exhaust system.

I wouldn't go back to petrol if I'm honest. I'm driving the 1.6 tdci, and between the road tax and fuel costs.... there's already two good reasons. £20/year road tax!

A full tank of diesel is getting me 500 miles quite easily, I've had over 600 a couple of times with very careful driving. But the nice feel of the turbo with the torque is where people spending a fortune on petrols trying to recreate, which just ends up in worse fuel economy, plus if you ever decide to get a diesel remapped, you will end up with a faster, more economical car as well.... but remap isn't for everyone I guess. The only downside to the diesel is the sound of the engine, but I don't really care about that tbh.

Now between white and red? Good questions to ask yourself is....

'if I bought a red one and seen a white one, how would I feel?'

'if I bought a white one and seen a red one, how would I feel?'

I went for the white, I love it, but have seen a red one parked outside my house, and also see Mikes on here too, its a stunning colour to get the zetec S in.

Good luck with whatever you do and look forward to seeing you on the foru more

Danny

Well to be honest i think im going to go with the diesel, with the amount of driving i do not just to and from work but socialy it sounds like the better option. So thanks for the information about mpg etc. All good and well reading the ford site but never really knoe until you have on yourself.

As for the colour i think its going to be made when i finaly order the car ill know what i want when it gets to that point :P.

Thanks for the heads up on it all and ill be updating once ive ordered it and then finally once ive recieved it :)

Tom

Sorry about the double post on the iPad and cant delete it :)

Edited by DanGull
I can - and have :o)

I would get a petrol and i would get white as it is by far the nicest colour for the zetec s, and i dont have a white one so i'm not biased :o)

Nobody with a petrol is spending money to recreate a noisier slower car.

Although I have never tried the petrol version I have a 1.6 TDCI and I love it, I do a lot of city driving and still get great (and always increasing) mpg plus its very nippy and have never really noticed the noise of the engine. I think diesel cars are a good option at the moment considering how cheap the road tax is and how expensive the fuel is.

As for colour both are nice, but I rarely see red fiestas but a lot of whites!

Go for anything but white, they're nice but they're everywhere, be different!

Go for diesel I get 66mpg and that's with a remap that takes it to approx 120bhp.

Nobody with a petrol is spending money to recreate a noisier slower car.

...big bore exhausts come to mind :D

go for diesel if you do more than 15.000 miles per year and are keeping the car for 3+ years, if you do much less yearly mileage the extra cost will not be worth it so petrol would be my advice.

One thing owning a diesel has taught me is to ignore 0 - 60 times as they are irrelevant on small engine cars and compare the 30 - 50 times as you will find this far more important and diesel engines often score better. You will find the diesel pulls better than the petrol and has more torque enabling you to overtake quicker than an equivalent petrol. And as someone has pointed out, a diesel engine can very cheaply and easily be tuned to increase the bhp/torque.

As for colour - rather than choose a colour see what they have in stock, for me the ideal model would be a titanium with a dress-up kit - all the toys and looks in one car :D

cyb,

I have exactly as you mention the titanium with the dress up kit, I have the 1.6tdci although I believe now you cannot have the 1.6tdci with the bodykit as it can't be added to the econectic titanium which is the only 1.6 diesel they now do other than zetec s.

As far as colour goes I have seen both and I think white looks a bit better but red is also nice as suggested above I would see which one they can do you a better deal with as it varies by what car has the options they may be able to get you one in one colour cheaper with optionals you do / don't want.

Ant.

Go for anything but white, they're nice but they're everywhere, be different!

Thats what i was thinking i do really like white but you dont see many red Fiestas about.

go for diesel if you do more than 15.000 miles per year and are keeping the car for 3+ years, if you do much less yearly mileage the extra cost will not be worth it so petrol would be my advice.

Well i do on average about 15500 miles a year and i plan on having the car for that long so that sounds about right to me ;) Should be going for the diesel by the sound of things. Not to bothered about the sound to be honest.

...big bore exhausts come to mind :D

One thing owning a diesel has taught me is to ignore 0 - 60 times as they are irrelevant on small engine cars and compare the 30 - 50 times as you will find this far more important and diesel engines often score better. You will find the diesel pulls better than the petrol and has more torque enabling you to overtake quicker than an equivalent petrol. And as someone has pointed out, a diesel engine can very cheaply and easily be tuned to increase the bhp/torque.

As for colour - rather than choose a colour see what they have in stock, for me the ideal model would be a titanium with a dress-up kit - all the toys and looks in one car :D

The only caveat to that is, in the main, the figures are produced in one gear only, especially Autocar figures. This negates the use of the gearbox which doesn't give you the full facts. I would imagine the petrol would outrun the diesel in all increments if the gearbox and rev range is used as it should in situations such as overtaking.

Of course, if you don't like changing gear, you can ignore all the above and you would buy a slushbox and potter around like the old fogeys in their Rover 214s. ;)

The only caveat to that is, in the main, the figures are produced in one gear only, especially Autocar figures. This negates the use of the gearbox which doesn't give you the full facts. I would imagine the petrol would outrun the diesel in all increments if the gearbox and rev range is used as it should in situations such as overtaking.

I've trying to find some 30-50 figures but there nothing in the OE manual or on the web, but as I have said before my wife has a 1.4 petrol and I do notice there seems to be less mid-range torque and over-taking is more laboured in her petrol power car (and the mpg is rubbish but that's another story).

As your only doing 15,000 miles a year, you have a real choice to make.

Cost: (before options etc)

Petrol: £14,395 OTR (before customer savings)

Diesel: £15,145 OTR (before customer savings)

difference = £750

Theoretical Fuel Cost per 12k miles:

Petrol: £1,494

Diesel: £1,124

difference = £370 per 12,000 miles.

Tax:

Petrol: £110/year

Diesel: £20/year (first year free)

difference = £90/year (excluding 1st year)

Insurance:

Petrol: Group 6

Diesel: Group 4

difference = petrol will cost a bit more to insure.

The diesel would work out cheaper over a few years at 15,000 miles per year, but not by a huge amount, so you have the choice to pick whichever you prefer, knowing you won't be breaking the bank.

You'll find the petrol is nippier around town, quieter, smoother, and faster on a track or from red lights.

The diesel is faster and more economical on motorways, but is more than capable in city centres. Limited options.

If you're looking to tune up your car, diesel is cheaper to modify, with a simple but effective remap modifications become limited and expensive past that, the petrol has much more options available.

I've trying to find some 30-50 figures but there nothing in the OE manual or on the web, but as I have said before my wife has a 1.4 petrol and I do notice there seems to be less mid-range torque and over-taking is more laboured in her petrol power car (and the mpg is rubbish but that's another story).

There's something on Ford's website in the fuel/performance/emissions sheet concerning 31 - 62 mph but states this is timed in 4th gear only.

Fuel/Performance/Emissions

As you can see, the diesel does it in 9.9 and the petrol in 12.6 secs, but this is misleading as the petrol will get from 0 - 62 in the same time the diesel gets from 31 - 62mph. If the gears are used I'm sure the petrol would be quicker, similar to the 0 - 60 times hence my point that the 30 - 50mph and 50 - 70mph figures don't show their true worth.

difference = £750

Tax:

Insurance:

The diesel would work out cheaper over a few years at 15,000 miles per year, but not by a huge amount, so you have the choice to pick whichever you prefer, knowing you won't be breaking the bank.

You'll find the petrol is nippier around town, quieter, smoother, and faster on a track or from red lights.

The diesel is faster and more economical on motorways, but is more than capable in city centres. Limited options.

If you're looking to tune up your car, diesel is cheaper to modify, with a simple but effective remap modifications become limited and expensive past that, the petrol has much more options available.

As per my other posts, the diesel will only be faster if you don't want to change gear and that means in town or on the motorway.

I'm now converted to devil fuel - the 1.4 TDCi edge that I driving at the mo has impressed me no end, although it does sound awful around town and when idling. However, the 60+ mpg more than makes up for it, especially as I do 25k a year. The torque also masks its relative lack of BHP.

The residuals of the diesel car will most likely be better than then petrol because more and more people are shunning petrol. It may also be worth checking for any difference in servicing costs (I know BM diesels cost more than the petrol equivilent) because this could reduce any potential savings further.

I also guess you may be able to get a better deal on the petrol. I would drive both to see which you prefer; in the real world deisels tend to feel a bit quicker because of the torque (my 325ti always struggled to keep up with 320d's despite the difference in performance figures on paper).

As for the colour, I love the white and think it is the best colour for the Zetec S. The grey looks pretty good as well.

difference = £750

Tax:

Insurance:

Well from having the details being set out like that it seems a bit more easier to understand haha :) i mean im actualy getting the car through lease so the price really only effects what ill be paying monthly which wont be that much from petrol to diesel. As i said previously ive only ever had petrol cars so maybe a diesel would be a nice change.

I mean after the 3 years i do have a choice of buying the car for a cheaper price but would most probablt get something else, maybe another fiesta ;)

I still have yet to make my mind up on which but i do like the sound of the diesel, maybe just because i havent had one before :P

As for the colour, I love the white and think it is the best colour for the Zetec S. The grey looks pretty good as well.

Well i saw another red one today and its making me change my mind rapidly haha. Yeah i completely agree about the grey.

Aawwwhh decisions, decisions...

The red/white colour decision had me undecided for ages as well. I was initially set on white, then I saw a red on autotrader and thought it looked much better. However, at the back where the lights meet the bodywork I feel there's too many shades of red touching which doesn't look great. I then switched back to wanting white and was set on this after comparing pictures I found of both side by side. Half an hour before ordering the car I was undecided again but deep down I preferred white so went for that.

On the day I collected the car there was a new red one in front of the showroom, but I was pleased I ordered the white as the red seemed a bit dull and flat. It just didn't look as good as I was expecting! Not that it counts, but all the staff I spoke to from a couple of garages prefered the white over red too.

I'd say just compare photos of the two, especially the back :P, one will appeal more to you!

And the grey, well, it's also nice but costs more :lol:. Just my 2p's worth, though I'm sure noone can be bothered to read all that :D.

Just my 2p's worth, though I'm sure noone can be bothered to read all that :D.

Well I took the time to read haha :) and I haven't really compared the two fully, just more what I've seen from the forum and in real life. But ill have a proper look next time I'm at Ringways Ford as they have have a fewm

Tah for the input though pal, better to help with the decision of what I'm wanting haha ;)

Tom