Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering

barrymat

Hi all!

Went to drive my 05 1.6 Zetec Focus today and heard a whirring sound coming out of my car. I immediately stopped and noticed that there was power steering fluid coming out of the bottom of the car. My steering fluid is still nearly full so haven't lost too much.

Got a tow to the garage and am waiting for the verdict tomorrow. I noticed whilst parking it in the bay that the steering has gone really light and the noise had increased, although I had been steering it whilst being towed the 2 miles to the garage.

Looking at other users posts I'm guessing that the power steering pump has gona a knacker, just really worried about the cost. I've prepared myself to pay £700 (the nearest garage I could get to was a Halfords Autocentre) which wouldn't be my 1st choice.

Just wondered if anyone on here could give me a price that wouldn't rip me off and an estimate on how long the work will take, is the part easy to get hold of etc.

Thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from you

This is quite a common occurrence on the mk2 1.6

A new/recon pump and probably the supply pipe to the rack shouldn't break the bank too much, and at most i would reckon 2 hours labour.

for example..

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2005/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/steering/power-steering-pump/?619590642&1&0053bf2f639efb938ff2fefb6aee86e129ec709d&000608

Hi all!

Went to drive my 05 1.6 Zetec Focus today and heard a whirring sound coming out of my car. I immediately stopped and noticed that there was power steering fluid coming out of the bottom of the car. My steering fluid is still nearly full so haven't lost too much.

Got a tow to the garage and am waiting for the verdict tomorrow. I noticed whilst parking it in the bay that the steering has gone really light and the noise had increased, although I had been steering it whilst being towed the 2 miles to the garage.

Looking at other users posts I'm guessing that the power steering pump has gona a knacker, just really worried about the cost. I've prepared myself to pay £700 (the nearest garage I could get to was a Halfords Autocentre) which wouldn't be my 1st choice.

Just wondered if anyone on here could give me a price that wouldn't rip me off and an estimate on how long the work will take, is the part easy to get hold of etc.

Thanks for reading, look forward to hearing from you

GET THE GARAGE TO CHECK IT'S NOT THE PIPE FITTING AT THE FRONT OF THE PUMP, I had to replace one on an 05 focus with the excact same problem, for the record the pipe(s) (you carnt just get the fitting)only comes as a pair and you can get them from a motor factors at a fraction of the cost at fords

Thanks guys, just hoping it won't come to more than £500. Will post back when I've been given a quote

Just recieved a quote £498, so it did come in under the £500 mark. Gave the go ahead, since when I phoned Ford this morning out of interest I was quoted £750!!

Just recieved a quote £498, so it did come in under the £500 mark. Gave the go ahead, since when I phoned Ford this morning out of interest I was quoted £750!!

Was it the pipe? the Father in law had this as well!

It was the pump, but when I came to pick it up, the pipe wouldnt fit, the garage weren't aware that Ford had changed the pipe. So gone home without my car again today. Fast losing patience!!!

Picked up my car earlier today, steering feels fine, hopefully with the new pipe fitted I won't have to deal with this problem again. Thanks to everyone who offered help and support.