Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dissapointing Ecoboost Economy

jimbobc

Well despite driving it sedatley its only returned 41.5mpg once I filled up and worked it out with a calculator. That's on over 400 miles despite the computer recording 44.6mpg. I would be interested to see how Ford think 47.1mpg is possible on a combined as mine was recorded over what I would have thought was a fairly typical combined cycle. Its not that much better than my Scirocco which has 265bhp and quite a bit worse the Grande Punto diesel it replaces despite having an almost identical official figure. Dissapointing! Its done 4400 miles now and about 650 since I picked it up.

Hi, you'll never get really close to the quoted figures as they are generated under simulated conditions and thus should only be used for a general comparison of different manufacturer's cars. If it is any use I got 34mpg around town on my first drive of my car.

Chris

No I guess not but didn't think it would be 15% or so out. The Scirocco can get 36-37mpg reasonably easily. Although I am sure I heard someone with a MK3 diesel was only getting 45mpg so it seems maybe a Ford exaggeration thing.

I've got the 1.6 diesel and I'm getting 54mpg not driving hard or like a granny, girlfriend gets 56 mpg it's like a war at the moment, having said that the roads we drive on are like your b roads and the mountain road is a killer so not to bad but not close to the 63.7mpy I think its suppose to be returning.

i get around 34 mpg to work which is all 30 mph,but half of that is cold running as its only 3.5 mile,had a run down to brighton though with 2 adults,2 kids and the boot full to the roof with cruise set on 74 mph(which gives 71 mph with gps)and it returned 48 mpg over 365 miles.ps thats with all my petals intact.

dont they say give a few thousand miles to run the engine in if brand new?

i get around 57mpg on motorways and 46mpg on town roads. thats on a 1.8tdci 2006 mkII focus.

They do but is not that much on new engines 1k max to run it in but you'll propably notice improvement after that.

i get around 34 mpg to work which is all 30 mph,but half of that is cold running as its only 3.5 mile,had a run down to brighton though with 2 adults,2 kids and the boot full to the roof with cruise set on 74 mph(which gives 71 mph with gps)and it returned 48 mpg over 365 miles.ps thats with all my petals intact.

Hi, is there a way to get the petals displayed instead of the recommended gear change green arrow and number?

Chris

No I guess not but didn't think it would be 15% or so out. The Scirocco can get 36-37mpg reasonably easily. Although I am sure I heard someone with a MK3 diesel was only getting 45mpg so it seems maybe a Ford exaggeration thing.

Ok, here's mine. 1.6TDCI Stop/Start (Non-Functioning at the moment!!)

Just refilled.

46.16 litres = 10.15 gallons

466 miles covered / 10.15 = 45.9mpg

And thats with driving like a Sunday driver.

Comments Welcome.......

Hi, your car is young of course and it depends so much upon driving conditions, state of the engine, etc etc. I used to have this debate with other owners of the Mk4 Mondeo 2.0l diesels, thay all said there cars were uneconomical, because they were only able to average about 42mpg. Yet I could get that around town, even showed how 50mpg was possible, and I could hit 60mpg on a run. My answer is, give me your car, let me drive it on roads I know and we'll see how good it is...

Chris

Hi, your car is young of course and it depends so much upon driving conditions, state of the engine, etc etc. I used to have this debate with other owners of the Mk4 Mondeo 2.0l diesels, thay all said there cars were uneconomical, because they were only able to average about 42mpg. Yet I could get that around town, even showed how 50mpg was possible, and I could hit 60mpg on a run. My answer is, give me your car, let me drive it on roads I know and we'll see how good it is...

Chris

I drive 30,000 miles a year, have done for the past 17years in my job. Drive a mix of roads, varying traffic conditions, don't thrash it and stick to speed limits. All I'm saying is that in my opinion my previous 2 company cars were more economical - A 2.2 CDTI Civic and before that a 2.0TDI 140BHP Octavia (very, very rarely saw under 55mpg on that one).

Hi, I'm not questioning your driving ability, but if other owners can say this, "I've got the 1.6 diesel and I'm getting 54mpg not driving hard or like a granny, girlfriend gets 56 mpg it's like a war at the moment, having said that the roads we drive on are like your b roads and the mountain road is a killer so not to bad but not close to the 63.7mpy I think its suppose to be returning". Then there must be something different going on...

Chris

Hi, I'm not questioning your driving ability, but if other owners can say this, "I've got the 1.6 diesel and I'm getting 54mpg not driving hard or like a granny, girlfriend gets 56 mpg it's like a war at the moment, having said that the roads we drive on are like your b roads and the mountain road is a killer so not to bad but not close to the 63.7mpy I think its suppose to be returning". Then there must be something different going on...

Chris

The post you refer to says his car is a Focus Mk2 'Soon to be Mk3'Year 2007 - different car ??

Hi, yes I saw that, was hoping that posters who don't own a Mk3 would state so. If it is a Mk2 then my bad. Stand by what I said though, it is so difficult to compare. I only know what I can do, which seems to be better then most.

Chris

EDIT: correction, posted by Will Clark IOM over at talkford; "ordered 25th June arrived 18th August that's a 1.6 Tdci titanium."

I think tomo is my stalker haha, i hot this on Saturday to clear this up;

1.6 tdci 2011 titanium auto stop start in White with the 18inch alloys, and the auto park she wanted it I took the mickey out of her and I have to say it's one cool toy only need around 3foot longer than the car its self.

That's the car we get 53-56 in which is saving us loads compared to my 2007 1.8 petrol zetec climate which was only getting 35 on same roads, sorry for the confusion I'll sort the profile out.

Off topic a touch I know but can anyone tell me how and when this overboost kicks in on the 1.6 115 diesel also what's it to achieve?? Is it to help with overtaking, thanks everyone.

Hi, yes you are correct Will, it give added power/torque when using maximum throttle openings, it also turns off the A/C briefly. You've joined the rich and famous then by having a stalker? :D

Chris

Thanks chris, it looks like it mate yer. How you finding the focus after a few days??

Hi, it is a great little car and so refined, even comparing it with my Mk4 Mondeo, they only thing I notice is the tyres but the weird thing is that it doesn't get louder as you go quicker. Someone rang my mobile the other day when I was in the car, couldn't work out what to do at first, but it was strange to talk to someone over the car's audio system having never done that before. I'm finding the ecoboost engine very responsinve and you can pulll away using so little revs it seems like it is a diesel. I've not had chance to try all of the gizmo's yet, like the self park feature, but when I find a quiet road I'll give it a try. Many other drivers seem to stare at my car, I don't if it is the drl's or whether it's because there are so few here,

Chris

Ha ha, same here with the looks, the self park is class mate, if you do it make sure the road is wider than 2car widths as the wee road outside mine you can get two car up and down just about but the car won't do it due to it knowing it'll touch the kerb.

Hi, yes as I thought, I need a wide enough road to use the self-park....

Chris

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club