Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo 0 / Loss of power

damocl

Hey all

I got a Ford Focus 1.4 CL 2000 X reg :D

Sometimes the speedo goes to 0, the radio dims and i get a slight loss of power.. *I heard it might be my VSS*

also

When i come to a stand still at the junction it sounds like the car is gonna stall but it picks itself up again to normal idle revs. .

Are these 2 things connected??

Yeah, I'd go with VSS mate. Classic symptoms. A new one from Ford only costs about £25. Dont trust one from e-bay, Get it changed sooner than later. When it goes completely the engine will die. My ex wifes did this and it failed on the M25 and she ended up with 44 tonnes of artic up the back of her car.

Yeah, I'd go with VSS mate. Classic symptoms. A new one from Ford only costs about £25. Dont trust one from e-bay, Get it changed sooner than later. When it goes completely the engine will die. My ex wifes did this and it failed on the M25 and she ended up with 44 tonnes of artic up the back of her car.

any idea how much the ford garage will charge to get it fitted to?

the part itself is around £30 not sure how much labour would be though

My friend had one fitted to her 1.8 a year or so back by our local ford dealer and it cost her £95 ish fitted

right.. today it went big time.. didnt come back on for about 15 mins, at the same time the mileage counter went to - - - .. and my engine fault light popped on

So i went to the ford dealer and i got it booked in for a diagnostic check as he said it could eithe be the cluster or the VSS

Its the VSS mate deffo

Right its not going into ford now lol, a local garage is gonna check it over for me on thursday cause i aint paying ford £50 for a diagnostic

Right its not going into ford now lol, a local garage is gonna check it over for me on thursday cause i aint paying ford £50 for a diagnostic

A diagnostic might not reveal anything as its only a intermittent fault not a permanent one. Guaranteed its the VSS though, seen loads of people post symptoms exactly the same as you in my 5 years of focus ownership.

A diagnostic might not reveal anything as its only a intermittent fault not a permanent one. Guaranteed its the VSS though, seen loads of people post symptoms exactly the same as you in my 5 years of focus ownership.

yep i know it wont reveal it. main reason why im not doing the diagnostic

The bloke at ford was going on about that about 40% of the VSS they take out snap and have to take of the whole gearbox.. im guessing he was bullshitting

Nope, theres a pin in the VSS which invariably will snap but I've never heard of the box having to come out even when that does happen.

might be the alternator mate if it has a bad connection or is just on its way out, your fuel pump is a electronic one and if your bat aint getting enough charge it wont send the fuel through and could explain why your lights dim and it some times feels like it is about to stall, just a thought but start simple before you get stressed and tunneled vision over one possible fault!!!

good luck and stay away from ford garages they wanted £500 for a !Removed! clutch and i got the full kit all in for £350 at a merc stamped garage up the road

might be the alternator mate if it has a bad connection or is just on its way out, your fuel pump is a electronic one and if your bat aint getting enough charge it wont send the fuel through and could explain why your lights dim and it some times feels like it is about to stall, just a thought but start simple before you get stressed and tunneled vision over one possible fault!!!

good luck and stay away from ford garages they wanted £500 for a !Removed! clutch and i got the full kit all in for £350 at a merc stamped garage up the road

well like i said, the bloke is looking at it tomorrow,, but i got the alternator checked the other week and that was fine *tested at a local garage cause my battery was old*

I still think its the VSS, i might just say to him tomorrow that its the VSS and can you just change it anyways lol

be very careful i was done big time £453 they warned me cos my car was a high miler they may have to drop gearbox...which of course they did.....my local garage would have done it for less but the chappie had been put off by doing one that was a pig...and recomended fords...so get the price first.

the VSS was changed for a cheap £86 by my local garage :D

it seems to have sorted the problem atm :D

wel done skip I reckon you got an excellant deal...good luck

be very careful i was done big time £453 they warned me cos my car was a high miler they may have to drop gearbox...which of course they did.....my local garage would have done it for less but the chappie had been put off by doing one that was a pig...and recomended fords...so get the price first.

Well done, my local ford dealers charge £90 to change it. The retaining pin is nearly always rusted to hell and snaps. Most can get it out without dropping the gearbox though. You were just unlucky you didnt pick a dealership where the service guys know their stuff.

• 2 months later...
the VSS was changed for a cheap £86 by my local garage :D

it seems to have sorted the problem atm :D

Hi These VSS seem to play up a lot, but can somebody explain where they are located on the car? I am dont mind doing a bit of DIY myself if I knew where to look

Thanks

Neil 1.8 2000 Focus

They are located on the gearbox mate. Should be easy to see as it should have a multiplug going to it.