Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fit A Focus Rear Badge Light

Preee

Reversing off my drive i can see the white reflect in the window of the house opposite, and i always dab the brakes to make sure Red is still working , it was my first little Mod and when i first took the boot handle off and saw the work i needed to do i almost did not fit it , but in the end it was well worth the effort. Of course you could save alot of time by just cutting off the badge and buying a replacement badge as you need to take your time seperating the badge from the backing.

But yes it looks great and like my DRL's , i have never seen another one fitted on a Focus apart from Lenny's.

I saw a car a few months ago with a white badge light on the front , i think it was a Mazda , it looked ok , but the focus badge on the front would not be an easy mod i think.

Great advice there chaps, thanks! I don't suppose some kind soul could put up a link to the white/red version could they? I feel a bit of a weekend job coming on here! B)

I've got a red one on it's way to me now and a spare badge just in case.

On a MK2 the fitting should be much easier as no cutting of trim is needed.

I should hopefully be able to use pre-existing holes.

Once i have the parts in my hand i'll be able to suss it out.

I've got a red one on it's way to me now and a spare badge just in case.

On a MK2 the fitting should be much easier as no cutting of trim is needed.

I should hopefully be able to use pre-existing holes.

Once i have the parts in my hand i'll be able to suss it out.

from looking at mine mate,

it seems that the badge was designed for the mk2 because it has a lip around the edge designed to sit in to your boot panel where the badge currently is mate nice job B)

I don't know if i'm just being a bit thick, or looking too hard or what... But i'm buggered if i can find the badge that has both white, and red illumination on e-bay... I've seen white OR red, or even blue... but not white AND red! :huh:

Maybe i'm putting the wrong search words in or summat :(

My light arrived today, wires are a bit spindly but workable.

I'm thinking i'll have to use some low guage speaker wire or such like to connect it up.

Couple of connector blocks, scotchlocks and crimps should do it.

Live to 3rd brake live and earth to wiper motor earth i reckon.

Just waiting for the spare badge to arrive and then it's all systems go.

BadgeLight1.jpg

I don't know if i'm just being a bit thick, or looking too hard or what... But i'm buggered if i can find the badge that has both white, and red illumination on e-bay... I've seen white OR red, or even blue... but not white AND red! :huh:

Maybe i'm putting the wrong search words in or summat :(

Hiya

Here is the link

http://www.aliexpres...adge-light.html

You have to register on Alibaba.com and Aliexpress.com

You make the payment , they hold the money until product arrives and then they issue the payment , it takes about 2/3 weeks to arrive , make sure you add a foot note for RED/White and check the size before ordering

Just as a foot note if you click the feedback , you will see it's "me" as i guess i'm the only one who brought a 2 tone one.

Speak to Lisa if your having trouble she is the contact.

Regards

Paul

My light arrived today, wires are a bit spindly but workable.

I'm thinking i'll have to use some low guage speaker wire or such like to connect it up.

Couple of connector blocks, scotchlocks and crimps should do it.

Live to 3rd brake live and earth to wiper motor earth i reckon.

Just waiting for the spare badge to arrive and then it's all systems go.

Hi Stoney , looking forward to your pictures when you fit it :)

Hi Stoney , looking forward to your pictures when you fit it :)

So am i :D

Few bits to get yet ( spare badge / connectors / wire) but will hopefully get time to do the fit before the end of the month, unfortunately i'm a very busy boy. :(

Few bits to get yet ( spare badge / connectors / wire) but will hopefully get time to do the fit before the end of the month, unfortunately i'm a very busy boy. :(

yeah i know that feeling , working a three shift pattern at the moment and it sucks , don't know when to eat , sleep or be awake lol

End result will be great and i'm sure you will be sat there in traffic dabbing the brakes when there is another focus behind you :)

End result will be great and i'm sure you will be sat there in traffic dabbing the brakes when there is another focus behind you :)

OOh yes indeed i will.

nice one mate,

i found the cable to be very fine and when i attempted to scoth lock it, the blade in the scotch lock actually cut the cable, so instead i wrapped the two cables togeather and insulated them heavily with loom tape,

and to save a little weight on the rear, you could earth the unit to the reg plate light negative, and fish a cable up the boot panel to the positive in the rear spoiler light,

i cant wait to get mine out tomorrow and purposly get stuck in traffic, and purposly park in areas that i would need to reverse out of lol

as pree has said though mate, you will be very happy with the results on this one.

What gauge wire did you use to lengthen the connections?

I was thinking of using speaker cable or would that be too heavy / light?

What gauge wire did you use to lengthen the connections?

I was thinking of using speaker cable or would that be too heavy / light?

Hi mate,

im sure speaker cable would be fine,

i used this, and its much the same size as speaker cable

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27bd5915eb

i used it because i had a bit in the tool box left over from previous modifications and i only run a single feed from the rear spoiler brake light to the badge, then i used the badge cable (only) to splice in to the reg plate negative feed.

the only problem you will encounter is:

both cables feeding the rear spoiler brake light are black,

so if you jam a hoover head and pipe against the brake pedal and the driver seat this will keep the brake light on for you to find the correct cable you wish to splice mate.

Many thanks mate.

Your experiences make it do much easier for others.

Hiya

Here is the link

http://www.aliexpres...adge-light.html

You have to register on Alibaba.com and Aliexpress.com

You make the payment , they hold the money until product arrives and then they issue the payment , it takes about 2/3 weeks to arrive , make sure you add a foot note for RED/White and check the size before ordering

Just as a foot note if you click the feedback , you will see it's "me" as i guess i'm the only one who brought a 2 tone one.

Speak to Lisa if your having trouble she is the contact.

Regards

Paul

Many thanks! I've ordered a pair of white/red badge LED's... See if you can work out where i plan to fit the other one? (clue.... It'll light up white,then turn red when one of the doors are opened) B)

Bigdaddy

Let us know how you get on with the front one , it will be interesting to see if you can get it on there

• 2 weeks later...

The Karzi door?

:P

:D :D :D A red light upon opening my karzi door is a very good idea mate!

Can't have it Bog standard now can we? (sorry) :wacko:

Bigdaddy

Let us know how you get on with the front one , it will be interesting to see if you can get it on there

Will do Pree... I'll post up my results be them good or bad... (badges still haven't arrived yet though)

Still trying to get around to fitting my badge light.

All the parts are in hand but have spent the last week or so getting over a wrenched back and adding an aux connection and moving my Parrot screen to somewhere I won't keep knocking it.

Reversing sensors going in tomorrow and lockwoods and gel badges to do too.

So many mods and so little time. :)

I hope the back gets better soon Clive... You need to take it easy though mate, i ripped a muscle in my back years ago, and it was no joke! (talk about seeing a grown man cry!) I'd try not to take too much on mate, no matter how tempting...Having said that, hurry up and get those jobs done so i can see the piccies! :D

Well I had a week off work with it and went back yesterday.

Typical that the first job I had was a fast drive one.

Least it got the cobwebs out of the turbo.

Right - Job done.

Got around to doing the job today.

First of all i worked out which wire on the plate light was the earth -

bbl2.jpg

And made sure the light was working

bbl1.jpg

Stripped all trim from the boot lid so as to get a clear run at it.

bbl6.jpg

Tried to acertain the live feed from the third brake light and found that the cables were a git to get to so changed plans and went for the main brake light feed instead.

Cable scotchlocked and loom taped for protection.

bbl10.jpg

Ran the wire up behind the boot water seal and loom taped it for protection.

bbl12.jpg

Ran wire up the umbilical and cable tied securely as putting it through it was a non starter.

bbl13.jpg

Fed around behind trim and down through the boot lid.

bbl15.jpg

Scotchlocked a connection to the plate light earth - connector block ready for light cable and connector block on the live feed ready to go.

All tested and continuity maintained.

bbl18.jpg

Now to remove the badge, taped around to avoid damage and using a wide blade screwdriver and a bit of cardboard as a fulcrum i levered the old badge off.

bbl19.jpg

bbl20.jpg

Stuck the new badge i bought in case i nacked the old one removing it (the other one was tatty anyway) to the light and pushed the wires through the badge locating holes.

The back of the MK2 badge has 3 plastic pins on it for location but as there is only one through hole on the light (for running cables out of whichever side fits best to the shape of the boot / badge) i snapped them off and stuck the badge and light together.

Mounted the new light unit to the car and connected the wires up and tidied the wiring.

bbl21.jpg

Replaced the boot lid trim and checked the wiring was not snagged or strained.

Final test and result of effort -

bbl25.jpg

bbl24.jpg

bbl23.jpg

bbl27.jpg

Time taken 1 1/2 hours including !Removed! and tea break.

Well happy with result.

Night photos will follow when i'm able.

Nice work Clive looks sweet :)