Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fit A Focus Rear Badge Light

Preee

Only one problem, i couldn't work out which connection on the brake light was the brake rather than the tail light feed so the light comes on with main lights and stays on rather than just with the brakes - i tried all combinations i thought were safe without blowing fuses.

I have enough slack cable and spare scotchlocks so that i can swap the feeds later on if someone can clarify which wire is the brake light feed cable.

I tried earth and both bulb terminals but the light only came on with the right hand one. Strange? :blink:

Twit !!!

I just had the thought -

I tested the light to the contacts inside the bulb holder - would the bulb need to be in for both tail and brake feeds to work?

Possibly , as there are only three wires.

I plan on fitting my Rear DRL's this weekend , i still have not decided which Led's i'm going to use , i have the circuit made and either 2 x 3 led strips or the w5w LED Bulbs , i am planning on fitting them to the top section of the cluster so it will give the ST effect at night , but during the day they will act as DRL , they will Dim at night when side lights are on.

So once i get it done , i will be able to give you a run down of which wires are the brake and side light.

Right - Job done.

bbl27.jpg

Night photos will follow when i'm able.

Looks excellent Clive, look foward to the night pictures too, B)

looks just as good at night mate,

you must be very happy with it B) also you will be stopping in traffic to let other traffic pull out in to your lane just so as you can show off the badge light to the driver behind. ;)

Did just that after getting these pics.

Had an old totally blacked out A reg Capri playing silly beggars squealing wheels and revving coming out of the carpark and i managed to get in front of him on a dual carriageway.

He slowed down behind me and flashed mains and hazzards at me as a nod then screamed by, promptly getting pulled by one of my bretheren.

Pity ;)

I like it :)

I'm sorry to say that, but I don't like this:

bbl13.jpg

It would be getting on my nerves every time I open the tailgate <_< You could have tried harder and run wire through the genuine wire casing (not easy, but can be done, it's only single wire) or find third brake light wires inside this casing.

Is fourth brake light legal? No problem with MOT, police etc.?

The reason i ended up running the cable externally to the umbillical is because-

1, The wire would not fit through cleanly.

2, If i had run the wire through then it would have meant the bottom seal on the rubber would have been lifted and would cause a leak into the roof liner.

3, With all the trim back in place and some loom tape around the umbillical, the wire is barely noticable.

4, If i decide i prefer the light to stay permanent with headlights then removal will be far easier if i run it to the plate lights instead.

I know it is not a perfect solution but the only way i could see to get the cable connected to the third brake light without the scotchlock fouling the brake light housing would be to lift the spoiler off and then i would have had the trouble of resealing the holes and risking another water leak, or pulling down the roof liner and having to identify the wire there possibly splicing the wrong one or creasing the liner.

With my record of popping fuses too, i thought the way i did it was the best option.

You are wrong mate ;) , bottom seal of the rubber would not stay lifted if you run the wire inside the car under roof lining, it would be completlly invisible. Also lifting of the spoiler would not be required. On your day off come to Exeter and we will do it ;)

Here you go Clive , bear in mind this is a Mk2.5 and may be different but i would imagine placement will be the same if wire colours are different.

This is the O/S connection above the rear wheel arch.

Orange = Side light

Green = Brake light

Blue = Indicator

Black = Earth

img0068ve.jpg

My Rear DRL's did not go as planned when i fitted the leds to the light clusters , and powered it all up , they are not bright enough to be seen in daylight , so i removed my DRL circuit

and just wired them to the side lights so they look a lttle like the ST twin Lights , but even then the Leds are a darker red than the side light bulb but it's not too bad , nothing ventured and nothing gained .lol

Cheers for that will look when I have time again.

The piccies ain't great, but the LED rear badge is now fitted, and up and running B)

I've chanced running the "red" off the sidelights circuit, so my badge is red as soon as the lights are switched on... Not been pulled... YET! :huh:

DSC00257-2.jpg

DSC00263-2.jpg

(i really MUST remember to fit a new LED in the numberplate light too) :unsure:

And in reverse.... (white section of badge illuminated)

DSC00256.jpg

• Like 1

I like it :)

I'm sorry to say that, but I don't like this:

It would be getting on my nerves every time I open the tailgate <_< You could have tried harder and run wire through the genuine wire casing (not easy, but can be done, it's only single wire) or find third brake light wires inside this casing.

Is fourth brake light legal? No problem with MOT, police etc.?

I managed to get the wire through the umbilical eventually, but it was a faff! The umbilical does seat cleanly again when replaced, but it needs to be warm and pliable to do this... (hairdryer) I taped my cable up to an old scrap length of wired curtain hangar, fed the hangar through the umbilical, untaped the wire, then wrapped it around the loom, and used baby cable ties to keep it all neat and factory looking.

I don't know how you fella's have managed with those god awful scotchlock connectors though i must admit :huh: I'm not a great fan of them, i much prefer regualr crimped, or even soldered connections, much more reliable long term....( if a little more effort initially) ;)

I've chanced running the "red" off the sidelights circuit, so my badge is red as soon as the lights are switched on... Not been pulled... YET! :huh:

DSC00257-2.jpg

(i really MUST remember to fit a new LED in the numberplate light too) :unsure:

And in reverse.... (white section of badge illuminated)

DSC00256.jpg

The rear badge fits it beautifully mate,

i love the rear duplex exhaust system too B)

• 3 weeks later...

just a sec guys before i buy it, is the dimensions:14.5cm x 5.6cm of the led light?

just a sec guys before i buy it, is the dimensions:14.5cm x 5.6cm of the led light?

To fit these lights to a MK2.5 you have to shave the sides and bottom of the unit a little as it has to fit into the back section of the boot holder , on the Mk2 you don't have this problem as there is room to fit , without any adjustments

I think the badge light is originally designed to fit the MK2 as everything lines up perfectly on fiting.

On a 2.5 it's a lot more involved.

I think the badge light is originally designed to fit the MK2 as everything lines up perfectly on fiting.

On a 2.5 it's a lot more involved.

its well worth the effort though,

i also have some pictures of fitting to a mk2.5 on here, very easy of you have a dremil or similar type tool.

i didnt have a dremil when i done mine, instead i used a drill with a 4mm bit

and a Black&Decker mouse Sander with some P40 on it.

http://www.fordowner...__fromsearch__1

Quick update.

Got round to redressing the tatty way I connected the light to the main tail light feed.

Took some extra time over it and reconnected it to the third brake light cable.

It now works with the brakes and looks much tidier.

One thing that I couldn't get right though was when I finally managed to feed the wire through the grommet to the spoiler I retaped it a little high so the grommet has moved up between the body and the spoiler.

No big problem though as I'm currently bidding on a 2.5 spoiler on eBay so hopefully I'll win it and when fitting it I will have full access to put the grommet back properly.

Long as it doesn't rain in between I'll be fine.

The spoiler was a good find as it's the right colour and mint condition too.

Long as it fits properly I'll be happy.

Quick update.

Got round to redressing the tatty way I connected the light to the main tail light feed.

Took some extra time over it and reconnected it to the third brake light cable.

It now works with the brakes and looks much tidier.

One thing that I couldn't get right though was when I finally managed to feed the wire through the grommet to the spoiler I retaped it a little high so the grommet has moved up between the body and the spoiler.

No big problem though as I'm currently bidding on a 2.5 spoiler on eBay so hopefully I'll win it and when fitting it I will have full access to put the grommet back properly.

Long as it doesn't rain in between I'll be fine.

The spoiler was a good find as it's the right colour and mint condition too.

Long as it fits properly I'll be happy.

Should be a straight swap mate,

id like to see you win it too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club