Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Focus to get?

Owen J

I'm after a Focus and am undecided on what sort to get. I'd prefer a petrol one (but wouldn't discount a diesel). I'm looking to spend between £4k and £6K so am probably looking at a new shape model (mk2?)

I sometimes drive a 1.4 model at work and know they're right out - totally flat!

I'd consider a 1.8/2.0 but don't think I'd ever really use the performance (and would probably begrudge paying the extra tax and insurance!)

It seems like I'm answering my own question here but am I right in thinking there are two difft 1.6 petrol versions (100hp and 115hp?) How can I tell the two apart - it seems you can get the exact same model but either horsepower? I think I'd prefer the higher powered one - is there much difference between the two?

From what I can tell the Zetec and Titanium seem like good models. What have/haven't they got compared to a ghia/sport/LX etc.?

Thanks in advance for any replies (I know I've asked a lot of questions here!)

I'm after a Focus and am undecided on what sort to get. I'd prefer a petrol one (but wouldn't discount a diesel). I'm looking to spend between £4k and £6K so am probably looking at a new shape model (mk2?)

I sometimes drive a 1.4 model at work and know they're right out - totally flat!

I'd consider a 1.8/2.0 but don't think I'd ever really use the performance (and would probably begrudge paying the extra tax and insurance!)

It seems like I'm answering my own question here but am I right in thinking there are two difft 1.6 petrol versions (100hp and 115hp?) How can I tell the two apart - it seems you can get the exact same model but either horsepower? I think I'd prefer the higher powered one - is there much difference between the two?

From what I can tell the Zetec and Titanium seem like good models. What have/haven't they got compared to a ghia/sport/LX etc.?

Thanks in advance for any replies (I know I've asked a lot of questions here!)

I currently own a 51 plate focus, 1.6 100bhp. Its a good nippy car around the town and windy roads. I would have preffered a 1.8 but the 1.6 is good enough for my needs. I do about 50 miles of motorway driving most days, accelerates good and doesnt have any problems sitting at 70. its nice and quiet, does just under 3k revs at 70. delivers about 42-43mpg, thats the main reason i have it. Its currently £80 for 6 months tax too which is good compared with my last 1.6 Im very impressed with the car overall. i paid £2600 for mine with a little over 50kmiles on the clock back in july. Its the zetec model and has everything apart from aircon and heated front screen, not sure the older ones had the heated screen anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Stef - I don't suppose anyone would care to offer anything else on the multitude of questions I asked?

I think I've worked out the difference between the 100 and 115hp 1600 engines (the 115hp has variable cam timing - called Ti-VCT). Are they really that much better (and easy to tell apart?) Not many of the ads seem to differentiate between the two (and whenever I ask they still don't know!)

Thanks in advance for any replies..............

Thanks for the reply Stef - I don't suppose anyone would care to offer anything else on the multitude of questions I asked?

I think I've worked out the difference between the 100 and 115hp 1600 engines (the 115hp has variable cam timing - called Ti-VCT). Are they really that much better (and easy to tell apart?) Not many of the ads seem to differentiate between the two (and whenever I ask they still don't know!)

Thanks in advance for any replies..............

hi, cant really quote fords version of the variable timing but I know some of the newer renaults have it and i know for a fact that the 1.6 petrol doesnt really feel any more powerful, its just all the more to go wrong with it in my opinion.

Lo OwenJ

I own a Focus 2.0 diesel.Had it for about 3 years, its a 2005 model with 43k on the clock.It had 10k when I bought it. If you read 'Honest John's' page (Google it). I would recommend it. I do town and dual carriageway driving. Consumption excellent matched with performance,strange I know but it's true.

Don't rule out the 2ltr.

Best of luck

p.s. I am impressed with the Ford build

How do Owen,

I have a 2005 mk2 zetec 1.6 100 PS. There is an easy way to tell the difference between the 100 and the 115 with the bonnet open.

Have a look at the left hand side of the engine, where the cam belt cover is. The 115 has variable valve timing and has two hydraulic valves, one for each cam, near to the cam belt cover just above the cam covers themselves. A 100 ps one has nothing there at all.

Fuel consumption is OK. Mine seems awesome on 50 mph A road road work (I had nearly 50 mpg on a recent run) but not so good at motorway work, which I'm guessing is due to the fairly low geared nature of the gearbox.

You need to rev it to get the most out of it. I tried a overtaking move not long after I had it and it nearly ended in tears because I didn't change down. Its not a torquey engine, thats for sure.

A zetec with climate pack does have a fair bit of kit, enough to keep me happy anyway. Have a look at parkers guide to see what the standard kit is.

Thanks for the other replies - it's generally a case of once a thread is a couple of days old it dies. Thanks for making an exception here; it is appreciated!

Thanks for the other replies - it's generally a case of once a thread is a couple of days old it dies. Thanks for making an exception here; it is appreciated!

1.6 i rec pal,being a young lad(22) its nippy enough for me and doesnt guzzle too much juice-if going for mark 1 or 2 model its gotta be a 3dr version all day in my opinion they look miles better.

If you want economy buy the diesel version

If you want medium performace in petrol buy 1.6 zetec version

But I have a 2001 focus 1.8 16v zetec , petrol , and it have a good mark of fuel economy , remeber a i'm fron brazil

the numbers of fuel expense is

10 kilometers for 1 litre in the city

14 kilometers for 1 litre in the road ( Air condition turn on 100% and cruise speed about 100/120 km/h )

People

Anyone have a photo of engine from ford focus 1.6 zetec

if we have post here for me

I have dount

" the 1.6 zetec is the same 1.6 zetec rocam , sell in latim americam?"

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club