Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Crunching ?

FIESTA_MAD

hi

owned my car for 2 days now going great but the gears have crunched 5 times in the 2 days one was selecting reverse when moving and others going down gears .

i know its not good but will it be ok and i will not have damaged anything as long as i stop doing it ?

just slightly worried thats all

thanks.

My reverse gear crunches I'd say 1/3 times, very common. All three fiesta's I've had have done it too. The rest of the gears can crunch if they're not fully engaged, gearbox takes a bit of time to get used to, The sync isn't one of the fiesta's strong points imo.

My reverse gear crunches I'd say 1/3 times, very common. All three fiesta's I've had have done it too. The rest of the gears can crunch if they're not fully engaged, gearbox takes a bit of time to get used to, The sync isn't one of the fiesta's strong points imo.

yea was moving slow when selecting reverse and it done it and the others were changing into 2nd and 3rd .

so ive likely not done any damage this time ?

It'll be fine. The only thing you need to worry about is waking people up when it's late!

As I said earlier, all 3 of my Fiesta's have done it, and we've covered 50,000 miles between the 3, no real problem ever developed.

I've had lot of Ford's and they've all crunched in reverse gear. you get used to it.

It'll be fine. The only thing you need to worry about is waking people up when it's late!

As I said earlier, all 3 of my Fiesta's have done it, and we've covered 50,000 miles between the 3, no real problem ever developed.

i was guessing it was a case of it will be fine just not to make a habbit of it just got a little worried about it .

droping from 3rd to 2nd on a roundabout and it crunched and i really did make myself jump .

just glad its ok and to stop worrying about it :)

The 3rd -> 2nd incident was probably just a case of not fully engaging the selected gear, everyone does it occasionally but once you're used to the gearbox you should be fine.

Reverse however, will likely always be a pain, I find mine either crunches or doesn't go in at all.

The 3rd -> 2nd incident was probably just a case of not fully engaging the selected gear, everyone does it occasionally but once you're used to the gearbox you should be fine.

Reverse however, will likely always be a pain, I find mine either crunches or doesn't go in at all.

i thought the crunching might be due to it being quite a new gearbox so still stiff .

main thing is its ok and ive not damaged it at all :)

cheers mate.

The reverse crunching can be avoided by putting it into 5th, then reverse. Started doing it recently and not had any really crunching since. Definately works better than the other method of waiting 10 seconds with the 'box in neutral before engaging reverse.

Of course if you're still moving forwards at the time it'll probably still crunch.

I only get crunching on forward gears when I'm half asleep and try and lift my foot off the clutch before the gear is fully engaged. If its doing it even when you change gear properly it might need looking at.

Like others have said don't worry about it mate there's no problem in crunching every now and again. My MK2 Punto used to crunch something rotten all the time when going into second gear, and I couldn't engage 1st even if I was moving slightly, I had to be completely still to avoid it (like you need to do in reverse).

Crunching when going into reverse is normal because reverse gear isn't syncromesh and has straigh cut teeth which engage between the input shaft and output shaft to reverse the motion, so it can be hard to avoid it but all you can do is make sure you're completely stopped when engaging reverse gear.

If you consider the stress the gearbox endures over its life, then they really are hardy. My Fiesta has 103,000 miles on it and the gearbox is still going strong, but I do admit to crunching when going into 4th gear yesterday to overtake :D. So it happens to the best of us!

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

If this crunching continues I'd defiantly get it checked out! I have a Peugeot 106 that crunched when put into 3rd gear and eventually my gear box went and I couldnt get the gear stick out of 3rd gear and was stuck on Christmas eve in the middle of a round about not good :/ lol