Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattling Window And Peeling Door Seals - First Fixes For The Zetec S

Dougal

I am on my second Fiesta now, and this time I have gone 12 months without numerous trips to the dealer.

Today it is in for a really annying passenger window rattle. If the window is partly down, then road bumps and mild speaker bass will really rattle the window. it does not feel like it is set in propeerly.

The door seal on the drivers side has also started peeling away very badly. Keen to have this fixed before the winter. This must be a common one. Before I could finish my sentence, the service chap stated it was a 5 hour job, due to the adhesive bonding drying time.

Still disappointed with such issues after 12 months though. Having two Mk7's, all issues have been build quality. I know they are at the cheaper end of the market, but essentially the quality is poor. Mechanicly sound though, but there again the diesels are Peugeot blocks aren't they?

The door seal on the drivers side has also started peeling away very badly. Keen to have this fixed before the winter. This must be a common one. Before I could finish my sentence, the service chap stated it was a 5 hour job, due to the adhesive bonding drying time.

I've been back to the dealer twice for this - one for each door! It is a known fault (has a TSB listed on Ford's system) - I was in there for no more than 90minutes when they replaced mine.

Rattling appears to have stopped. It has been packed(?)

Door seals appear to be stuck firmly.

THe rattle is a common fault and has been reported numerous time to Ford technical. Until an offical fix is released, then its a quick packing fix.

Both my door seals are coming loose at the bottom of the vertical section, I think I'll probably just glue it when I eventually get around to it though, I don't want to be waiting around for 5 hours or even 90 minutes!

Only had my brand new Fiesta since July and already the rubber on the doors is coming away.

Looked a 2 others before i bought it and both were the same.

• 10 months later...

Just been to ford and they have quoted me £87 +vat to fix this on both sides. The car is only a september 2010 model. They say it is not covered by warranty.

Lol, my door seals are a state, I don't even want to bother with the dealers any more, so many times my car's been in now for stupid things that is no way acceptable for a 9 month old car;

Door seals x2

Rattle - still there

2 Buckled wheels - god knows how long it'll be til I'm back yet again

bulbs kept blowing - faulty wiring

Car itself was delayed due to a shoddy paint job >_>

Only had my brand new Fiesta since July and already the rubber on the doors is coming away.

Looked a 2 others before i bought it and both were the same.

I have had mine a year and been delighted with it - but I have also just noticed the seal flapping around when I open the rear door. Anyone know what type of adhesive they use as I would rather do it myself than messing around with the dealers?

I have had mine a year and been delighted with it - but I have also just noticed the seal flapping around when I open the rear door. Anyone know what type of adhesive they use as I would rather do it myself than messing around with the dealers?

If you PM me an email address I'll email you the instructions Ford sent out to dealers for the repair.

• Like 1

If you PM me an email address I'll email you the instructions Ford sent out to dealers for the repair.

Thanks, on its way :)

Thanks for the info Nathan. The adhesive they use looks like it costs an arm and a leg even without the mixing syringe jobby. Does anyone know whether something like Araldite Fusion would be suitable as a complete 3g syringe of that can be got for £3.49. It just needs to bond the rubber seal to the metal door frame.

The adhesive Ford use is around £30 for the pot. I've heard good things about Tiger Seal? Apparently once that's on it won't be going anywhere!

Gotta be worth a try at £7.80 on fleabay, including postage. ;)

Gotta be worth a try at £7.80 on fleabay, including postage. ;)

Just make sure it's dry before you shut the doors or you'll be getting in through the boot :P

Just make sure it's dry before you shut the doors or you'll be getting in through the boot :P

It's on its way so I will report back if it works. It doesn't mention rubber in the things that it sticks to, so I will test it carefully before I go for the final fix. Seems strange if they won't do this under warranty when their own service bulletin admits "insufficient adhesive applied in production"

All

If you want to fix the peeling seal yourselves (or out of warranty) I suggest you buy a roll of double sided foam tape from eBay.

My Fiesta suffered the same problem and the mess the dealer monkey made of the repair was shocking.

I cleaned the mess up and did it myself.

Tape was 6mm x 5m from Get Goods bargain at £1.79.

I peeled off the old tape, cleaned the glue off with white spirit, wipe over with meths and put the new tape on, sorted.

Why couldn't it just clip or screw in like everything else!

Found it and ordered it so I now have 2 options to try!. Certainly not worth messing about trying to get a dealer to do it.

Well, that was easy.

Tape arrived today, 5 minutes later no more flapping seal. On mine it was just the vertical rubber seal on the front of the rear door which had come loose at the bottom and was not seating correctly on the B pillar but getting trapped behind the door.

Good as new now.

I've got a 2012 fiesta and I had a look at my seals today and all they've put on is a small blob of glue every 3 inches. Will definately keep an eye on them.

This has happened to me, firstly at the bottom of the door and now the top, so needless to say it will be going back. It seems like a poor design to me...

Off topic, has anyone had an issue with the passenger window going up very slowly? My local garage temporarily fixed it by greasing the runners up. I think the motor or regulator is dodgy? Any guys & girls? Sorry to go off topic by the way.

This has happened to me, firstly at the bottom of the door and now the top, so needless to say it will be going back. It seems like a poor design to me...

Off topic, has anyone had an issue with the passenger window going up very slowly? My local garage temporarily fixed it by greasing the runners up. I think the motor or regulator is dodgy? Any guys & girls? Sorry to go off topic by the way.

Have you got wind deflectors fitted?

Nope..

Ok that rules that idea out then, just take it back to the dealer saying the issue is still arising and get them to check it out again..

Yeah it needs to, I wont be fobbed off this time! Cheers for trying to assist me though.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club