Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Transplant

wealdman

21 hours ago, muinatiT said:

I'm not liking the hard ride on the 195 45 16 XL tyres. Thinking of changing to 195 55 16, non XL. That would give me the same rolling radius as the 195 60 15 option that is listed for my car that I understand they use in other non-UK markets.

So what have you bought and put on the car then? I take it you have bought Fiesta 16 inch alloys and now want tyres?

On 12/08/2017 at 7:15 PM, Bobr said:

I have 16 inch wheels on my 2013 Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost and they are fitted with 195 - 50 - 16 tyres.

With the Mk7.5 Fiesta, Ford upped the tyre profile size on the Titanium and some models with 15" wheels. They got 195 55 15, instead of 195 50 15 and the Titanium went to what you have.

I would be grateful if you could tell me if your 195 50 16 tyres are XL (eXtra Load) rated?

Many thanks.

On 12/08/2017 at 8:03 PM, Luke4efc said:

So what have you bought and put on the car then? I take it you have bought Fiesta 16 inch alloys and now want tyres?

I've got the 16" Titanium alloy wheels that came with the car (2012 model), fitted with the original 195 45 16 tyres. I rotated the wheels a few years ago with the plan on getting them to all wear out at the same time so I can renew all 4 tyres at once, thus making it 'easier' to change tyre profile size. 

14 hours ago, muinatiT said:

With the Mk7.5 Fiesta, Ford upped the tyre profile size on the Titanium and some models with 15" wheels. They got 195 55 15, instead of 195 50 15 and the Titanium went to what you have.

I would be grateful if you could tell me if your 195 50 16 tyres are XL (eXtra Load) rated?

Many thanks.

I've no idea.   Would that be marked somewhere on the tyre?   They are V rated if that's any help.

11 hours ago, Bobr said:

I've no idea.   Would that be marked somewhere on the tyre?   They are V rated if that's any help.

Yes. It will say XL and/or 'Extra Load' after the tyre size markings if they are rated as such. Thanks again for taking a look.

Can't see that on any of the tyres.   Can't really see why it would be necessary as the Fiesta isn't a heavy car.

10 hours ago, Bobr said:

Can't see that on any of the tyres.   Can't really see why it would be necessary as the Fiesta isn't a heavy car.

Thanks for taking a look.

I was thinking that Ford might have switched to XL rated tyres on the 195 45 16 Fiesta's to reduce the number of buckled wheels that owners had reported.

Here is a quote from a list of advantages of XL rated tyres:

"Resistance to mechanical damage caused, for example, by driving at speed into the kerb."

Changing to 195 50 16 and the resultant increase of profile may have negated the need for the XL rated tyres. With my limited research I have seen both XL and non-XL rated tyres on the 16" Mk7.5 Fiesta's with 195 50 16 tyres.

I need to research some earlier Fiesta Titanium's to see if they were ever spec'd without XL tyres from 2008.

I have a 2016 Fiesta titanium so will look in the morning. I would not have thought that the fiesta would need to have XL rated tyres, it isn't that heavy and the pressures are not excessive. I won't be looking for XL tyres when it's time to change. You could always email Ford and ask them if the Fiesta was type approved with XL tyres, that would give you an answer straight form the horses mouth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I have a 2016 Fiesta titanium so will look in the morning. I would not have thought that the fiesta would need to have XL rated tyres, it isn't that heavy and the pressures are not excessive. I won't be looking for XL tyres when it's time to change. You could always email Ford and ask them if the Fiesta was type approved with XL tyres, that would give you an answer straight form the horses mouth.

Thanks for taking a look. When looking on Black Circles and searching by 195 45 16 tyre size nearly all listed are XL rated. When I change to 195 50 16 there is roughly a 50/50 split of XL and non XL rated tyres. When I choose 195 55 16 then the majority of tyres are non-XL rated.

The Ford ETIS vehicle summary doesn't mention XL rated tyres for my car. I'm wondering if the tyre manufacturer's are choosing to spec their ultra low profiles in XL rating in order to offer more protection to alloy wheels when it comes to the many potholes in our road network.

I think I've come to the conclusion that by moving up to 50 or 55 profile tyres I'm not going to choose XL rated ones.

• Like 1