Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Transplant

wealdman

Possibly shocking to many forum members but after lengthy cogitation I've changed the standard Titanium 16" 15 spoke wheels and 45 profile Continental tyres for 15" Autec Zenit Silver wheels and 50 profile Kleber Quadraxer tyres. Objectives: a softer ride on ill-kept country roads with hopefully less risk of buckled wheels and an improved winter driving experience with "all seasons" tyres (actually they comply with requirements for winter tyres but are intended for year-round use).

Before

DSC00243A-2.jpg

After

DSC00804A.jpg

Have I achieved objectives? Well the ride is certainly much less harsh especially when the vehicle is lightly loaded. Time will tell with the rest.

Meanwhile the original wheels and tyres are on eBay, item number 170697390159, if anyone's interested.

• Like 1

I personally think it looks allot better mate,

Also for anyone interested in the alloy wheels Click Here Bid starting at £50 thats crazy cheap:blink:

Is it not possible to add thicker tyres to the standard titanium 16s? Thats what I'd prefer, you'd keep the premium 15 spoke look but with a thicker more noise and bump absorbant tyre. I guess it would be no difference to having the 17inch spanner alloys size wise - I just worry that with 5 adults in and the boot packed it might look like the bodys almost sat on top of the tyres as if its been lowered a tad too far - i think mine can look like that already sometimes and thats with the factory fitted thin tyres on! :-s

If you werent in sussex I'd be all over them. How much would postage be if you could sort it? If it wasnt too bad I'd have to consider it.

If you werent in sussex I'd be all over them. How much would postage be if you could sort it? If it wasnt too bad I'd have to consider it.

Starting prices on eBay auctions are more or less meaningless when a number of people are interested and there are 45 watching at present. These wheels and tyres reached £210 last time around, then the buyer didn't pay up so I've relisted. I don't want the hassle of posting, neither do I want to set a Buy It Now price. I can advise on a courier pick up firm which doesn't insist on onerous packaging. Their charge would probably be around £65 plus a little for insurance.

Is it not possible to add thicker tyres to the standard titanium 16s? :-s

Yes indeed it is. A forum member in Scotland (sorry I forget his name) reported, a long way back, fitting 55 profile tyres to the 16" wheels with excellent results. Of course there will be consequences for the speedometer readings but these were not too serious if I remember his post correctly.

Starting prices on eBay auctions are more or less meaningless when a number of people are interested and there are 45 watching at present. These wheels and tyres reached £210 last time around, then the buyer didn't pay up so I've relisted. I don't want the hassle of posting, neither do I want to set a Buy It Now price. I can advise on a courier pick up firm which doesn't insist on onerous packaging. Their charge would probably be around £65 plus a little for insurance.

Ah that might be a little pricey tbh. And I know I expected over £200 for the wheels but the £65 postage would be too much. Nvm hope the next buyer pays up.

If you inflate the tyres and cut circle's from cardboard place one either side of the tyre wall and tape a cross shape around the tyres with 2 inch tape,

job done and very light weight, the air in the tyre will protect the edges,

most shops will be happy to give you some cardboard, best item would be a 42'' LCD TV box or similar.

GLS are a excellent service also, they charge by size and not by weight so you may be able to ship them for £40-£50 tracking provided as standard.B)

• Like 1

They look smart them I really like.How are they so far.Does your Titanium not have privacy glass.

They look smart them I really like.How are they so far.Does your Titanium not have privacy glass.

The ride is definitely softer and more to my taste on poorly maintained country roads. Not much difference on good surfaces. A very slight, barely noticeable, "zizz" from the tyres when cruising on a decent surface. Fewer spokes to keep clean too.

At the time when I ordered my Titanium there was a no-cost option to delete privacy glass. I think privacy glass visually divides the cabin into two halves and a small car looks better without it - but the option seems to have disappeared.

• 2 months later...

Just to say that I told my insurance company about the change of wheels and tyres. They didn't seem interested, said the change had been noted and they didn't propose any additional premium.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes indeed it is. A forum member in Scotland (sorry I forget his name) reported, a long way back, fitting 55 profile tyres to the 16" wheels with excellent results. Of course there will be consequences for the speedometer readings but these were not too serious if I remember his post correctly.

(sorry for bumping an old thread - just I'm suddenly interested in getting thicker tyres again - maybe spring time, or when ever i need to replace 2 or more of my current ones).

Who would correct the speedometer readings if thicker tyres were fitted? a local garage or dealer? And how much difference would 50 profiles make? (i take it the standard 16 inch wheel's tyres are 45?) anyone got pics off 55s fitted?

- just my engine it sooo quiet that the road noise (and hard ride for that matter) annoy me sometimes.

Any thoughts on this would be great....

thanks

EDIT - aha, just found this thread of the scottish guy who changed to 55s and posted pics :D http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/13436-tyre-conversion/page__p__86254__hl__%2Bprofile+%2Btyre__fromsearch__1#entry86254

A few thoughts from a non-expert :-

I thought long and hard about keeping the original 16'' wheels but changing to higher profile tyres. Finding that I had two buckled tipped me towards buying a set of 15'' wheels and 50 profile tyres. If I were doing it again I might be tempted by 15'' wheels and 55 profile tyres especially since discovering that the insurance company doesn't seem interested.

You didn't mean that you were thinking of replacing just two tyres with a higher profile pair? Surely it has to be all four or nothing?

I've been reading posts on this forum for nearly 3 years and I can't recall anyone reporting having had the speedometer ''corrected''. I'm not even sure that it can be done? I suspect it's down to the driver to remember that with 55 profile tyres on the original wheels in place of 45 the usual ''safety margin'' isn't there any more. No more cruising at an indicated 35 mph in a 30 zone, safe in the knowledge that you're really only doing (roughly) 30!

Somewhere there's a website giving detailed info. about the effect of different wheel sizes and tyre profiles upon speedometer readings.

I've been reading posts on this forum for nearly 3 years and I can't recall anyone reporting having had the speedometer ''corrected''. I'm not even sure that it can be done? I suspect it's down to the driver to remember that with 55 profile tyres on the original wheels in place of 45 the usual ''safety margin'' isn't there any more. No more cruising at an indicated 35 mph in a 30 zone, safe in the knowledge that you're really only doing (roughly) 30!

With Ford equipment you can update the car with the tyre size that is fitted. I've gone from 195/45/16 to 195/50/15 for the winter and updated mine to reflect that.

With Ford equipment you can update the car with the tyre size that is fitted. I've gone from 195/45/16 to 195/50/15 for the winter and updated mine to reflect that.

Aah, I didn't know that. Well I did say I wasn't an expert!

Thanks for your replies guys.

I've been PM'ing the guy from the other thread who put 55s on this 16 inch alloys and he said that the speedo now gives a more accurate reading with the thicker tyres on - i.e more like a true reading rather than the manufacturer's safety reading.

Considering I never knew about this safety reading until now I've always stuck to the manufacturer's 30mph etc, so this won't make any difference to me.

(and yes I would change all 4 tyres to 55's lol - I probably wasn't clear but I meant that if I was told at least 2 of my current tyres needed replacing, then that would be the point where I'd think right I'll change all 4 to thicker ones now).

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i think those alloy's look HOT. Since Feb 11, when i purchased the car i've replaced 3 tyres but the alloy has stayed intact. The ride is bumpy here in devon and when the tyres eventually get worn down if ever, I'd really like to try this considering Rapid Fit Ford are now offering all weather tyres. Where did you get your 15" alloy's from? I've also seen you use 50 profile would you really of gone for the 55 profile?

I'm also questioning if i should change the current alloy tyres from 195/45/16 to 195/50/16.

I'm also questioning if i should change the current alloy tyres from 195/45/16 to 195/50/16.

What do you think about putting 55s on your current alloys?

It would make more of a different that just 50s.

(personally I don't wanna change alloys as I like the premium looking 15(?) spoke ones)

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but i think those alloy's look HOT. Since Feb 11, when i purchased the car i've replaced 3 tyres but the alloy has stayed intact. The ride is bumpy here in devon and when the tyres eventually get worn down if ever, I'd really like to try this considering Rapid Fit Ford are now offering all weather tyres. Where did you get your 15" alloy's from? I've also seen you use 50 profile would you really of gone for the 55 profile?

Wow!! Looking HOT was not exactly at the forefront of this old pensioner's mind but I suppose it's never too late.... :D

The 15'' Autec Zenit Silver alloys came from Autopoint Hastings (01424 718700) where Daniel was really helpful. Not too convenient for Devon though.

I think I'd stick with 50 profile after all. On 15'' wheels it's a standard Fiesta combination and doesn't alter anything speedometer-wise. Also I couldn't have had the Kleber Quadraxer all-seasons tyres in 55 profile because they don't (or didn't) make them.

One word of caution and I've thought of it a bit late in the day: I've the impression that makers of after-market wheels constantly bring out new designs while discontinuing the old. Just suppose, in a year or so, you damage a wheel beyond repair. If it's a standard Ford wheel there's no problem. Millions about, easy to get hold of one from a scrapyard or eBay. But if it's an after-market design - “I'm sorry Sir but that model was deleted last year. Can we interest you in a set of four like these?''.....

• 5 years later...
On 20/12/2011 at 9:55 PM, iNath said:

I know this is an old thread but wondering how much it cost to have the vehicle updated with your new wheel/tyre size?

Although the two tyre and wheel combinations stated are roughly identical in their rolling radius so nothing really needed changing on the speedo calibration?

1 hour ago, muinatiT said:

I know this is an old thread but wondering how much it cost to have the vehicle updated with your new wheel/tyre size?

Although the two tyre and wheel combinations stated are roughly identical in their rolling radius so nothing really needed changing on the speedo calibration?

15-30 minutes labour at your ford garage I would estimate, so about 40 quid probably.  If you / someone you know has the IDS, probably about 30 - 45 minutes of your time depending on how familiar with using it you/they are. 

You typically don't need to if you're swapping between stock sizes (e.g. I use 205 40 r17 in summer and 175 65 14 in winter) as the percentage total difference on the speedo is very low < 2%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muinatiT said:

All depends on what wheels and tyres you get depends on the cost. You can easily spend £1000 on something like this if you buy the wheels new. Continentals cost over £100 a corner, where as some cheap Chinese ones cost less than £50. Same goes with the wheels. Ford have factory 15 inch wheels that are usually cheap enough on eBay, coincidentally I have a set of 15's with tyres sat in my garage after my upgrade to zetec s alloys hehe.

Provided you get the standard Ford tyre sizes for the appropriate wheel (e.g. 205/40/17 for 17 inch wheels). As you said, those sizes are the same so no need to calibrate speedo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/07/2017 at 10:29 AM, jbell said:

15-30 minutes labour at your ford garage I would estimate, so about 40 quid probably.  If you / someone you know has the IDS, probably about 30 - 45 minutes of your time depending on how familiar with using it you/they are. 

You typically don't need to if you're swapping between stock sizes (e.g. I use 205 40 r17 in summer and 175 65 14 in winter) as the percentage total difference on the speedo is very low < 2%

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about IDS. Reading about that at the moment.

I'm not liking the hard ride on the 195 45 16 XL tyres. Thinking of changing to 195 55 16, non XL. That would give me the same rolling radius as the 195 60 15 option that is listed for my car that I understand they use in other non-UK markets.

The other option is to find some Mk1 Focus 15" Ghia alloys and stick on 195 60 15. Either way I would prefer to have the speedo calibrated to match the larger rolling radius.

Also need to call the insurance company to see how much they will charge for the change - if getting the insurance sorted for this change is too costly then I'll shelf the idea.

I have 16 inch wheels on my 2013 Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost and they are fitted with 195 - 50 - 16 tyres.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club