Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Differences Between 1.6 Tdci Models

mk1_salami

Hi guys,

First post here, so Hello!

I'm about to take delivery of a Zetec S TDCI Fiesta and have been looking into the MPG I can expect to enjoy. I noticed that the Zetec Econetic 1.6 TDCI is quoted as 78mpg combined, but the Zetec S TDCI 1.6 is only quoted at 67mpg, despite having identical performance figures.

The Zetec S TDCI can no longer be spec'd with the 17" alloys, so this won't account for the lack in fuel economy. How can the same car with the same engine get another 110 miles from a tank? I'm confused.

A few reasons,

The economic engine has been tweaked maybe they have the same HP and PS but in reality look at torque 0-60 etc they will all be less.

The bodykit on the zetec s is designed to look good and to be quite honest isn't gonna do sod all to improve fuel where as the economic has a few aerodynamic features such as a modified grill and lower rolling resistance tyres.

Also with the ecu controlling fuel air mixtures now a days it will be programmed differently id imagine you could get a chip for the ZS which would change the mapping to that of the economic.

finally your quoted 110 miles more i think you are basing it on a 10 gallon tank where the diesels are actually 9.

Anthony

And your gonna get no where near those figures unless you drive downhill allday!! In a empty car with a tail wind. My current average is 61mpg after 6700 miles.

So they're actually mapped differently? That's interesting. Anyone got a link to rolling road print outs?

So they're actually mapped differently? That's interesting. Anyone got a link to rolling road print outs?

They are mapped: Fuel Economy.

But the main difference is that the Econetic has a better end ratio ( Final Drive ).

Buy the Econetic, add all the desired options, have'm delivered with wintertyres on the 14 " wheels and buy some 17 alloys for summer tyres later. And do a mapping later.

But keep in mind : NO towing !

The last half year i am doing like 68.90 MPG. My very best on 1 tank was 76.35 MPG. But that's MY doing, MY driving style, MY right foot ... with a bit of help from the Fuel Economy mapping and the better Final drive. :D

2r73o5f.jpg

16knb80.jpg

I run a '59 reg 1.6 TDCI 90 Titty 3dr. As I've said before the gearing is too low. My wifes previous car a Mk6 Golf SE 2.0 110bhp non blue-tec-motion 5 speeder could out mpg the fester.

I've spent most of the summer driving from south yorks to east sussex via the M1 and M25 with miles and miles of 50mph roadworks. The mpg reached high 50s, poss making 60mpg. Driving normally its low to mid 50s, slighly disappointing. The chart above shows the econetic about 10% higher final drive so would expect @10% more mpg making mine mid high 50s to mid 60s mpg, but 10% slower acceleration :( Would be better with a 6sp box.

I got my 90 bhp remapped by superchips and mpg went up 10%. I'm seeing 67mpg generally now with a mix of city and motorway and not really taking it easy.

If I take it easy on the motorway I can easily get 80 mpg if I stick to 60 mph.

I got my 90 bhp remapped by superchips and mpg went up 10%. I'm seeing 67mpg generally now with a mix of city and motorway and not really taking it easy.

If I take it easy on the motorway I can easily get 80 mpg if I stick to 60 mph.

How much for the remap??

getting bigger wheels can help increase your MPG (at least, reported MPG)! :lol:

on my 95PS titty (non econetic) i get about 56mpg driving normally, but can get 65 if i watch the revs

frankly, for the extra 10mpg, driving everywhere like a granny aint worth it... 56mpg and keeping the turbo whizzing = great fun

life's too short to worry about 10 mpg when you're already getting 56 IMO B)

How much for the remap??

Wasn't cheap. Around £500. However, it has paid for itself already in terms of fuel savings and the grin I get when I floor it :P

How much for the remap??

£399+ VAT @ RS Tuning in Leeds

getting bigger wheels can help increase your MPG (at least, reported MPG)! :lol:

on my 95PS titty (non econetic) i get about 56mpg driving normally, but can get 65 if i watch the revs

frankly, for the extra 10mpg, driving everywhere like a granny aint worth it... 56mpg and keeping the turbo whizzing = great fun

life's too short to worry about 10 mpg when you're already getting 56 IMO B)

10mpg for me equates to £420 a year so worth driving carefully for me!

A friend of mine has a 1.4 diesel fiesta, he averages about 65mpg in the city

10mpg for me equates to £420 a year so worth driving carefully for me!

when you put it that way though, maybe those grannies have got it right - and are secretly laughing all the way to the post office...

• 2 years later...

I have a Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi Fuel consumption is 50 mpg winter 55mpg summer when driving short tips and 58 to 60 mpg on motorway. I once achieved 67 mpg on a 60 mile motorway run on the flat keeping the speed to less than 60mph keeping. So I think the question is a bit academic in the real world.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club