Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Fitting Additional Boot Light In Ford Focus Mk2 And Mk2.5

Lenny

Cheers mate, as I said cracking little mod for the sake of a couple of quid and not much labour, really really satisfied with it.

The inverter has a built in on/off switch anyway, so I think it should be fine at that, but I wouldn't keep it plugged into the 12V anyway when not in use. Might have mentioned before that I do a lot of fieldwork in my job, car turns into a mobile lab every now and again (see below!) working out of the boot, hence why I want to get the 12V socket back there rather than running laptop power cables etc through the car. Would just be a great convenience to have it back there. Laptop charging is the main reason for the inverter as the battery would never last a full day on site, but it's good to know I could charge any DC appliance if needed or in an emergency.

post-30295-0-79154100-1357756637_thumb.j

Want the 12V for the little compressor I have for keeping tyres in check too...would be a lot handier to plug it into the boot and work my way round, rather than fiddle it into the centre console port and have to pass it through an open door/window when moving to the other side of the car!

As for the boot mat, it's a thin plastic so is very flexible, but am I glad I have it! I got it on eBay for £18 delivered I think and it was worth every penny. It's a genuine Ford one, so think they cost around the £40-50 mark from the stealers, but I only wanted a genuine one as I'd hate a universal one which didn't fit well and didn't want to risk a 'custom tailored' one either.

You can see the dirt on mine, and that was after a recent 'shake off' when I gave the boot a quick clear out over Christmas. The muck and stones and leaves that had gathered were awful, so I'm just glad I can throw them straight out and give the mat a wipe down rather than have them bedding into my carpet. That one I have just sits on top of my standard carpet. Think it might be a bit too flimsy/thin to lay down over the spare wheel on its own, but it does a great job of protecting the carpet. It's got a deep lip the whole way round the edge too so will stop any spills from leaking out as well.

Highly recommend to anyone, but like all things I'm not keen on Ford's new prices so I was lucky I got a bargain. Thought I saw on gumtree recently one for sale locally for £20, but doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I take it you'd be selling your full size spare kit yeah? Would that not cover the cost of a carpet and mat?

Here's a couple of eBay links for you if interested in the mat, and a Mountune tailored carpet!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27ca05beeb

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6b4899d4

Cheers mate, as I said cracking little mod for the sake of a couple of quid and not much labour, really really satisfied with it.

As for the boot mat, it's a thin plastic so is very flexible, but am I glad I have it! I got it on ebay for £18 delivered I think and it was worth every penny. It's a genuine Ford one, so think they cost around the £40-50 mark from the stealers, but I only wanted a genuine one as I'd hate a universal one which didn't fit well and didn't want to risk a 'custom tailored' one either.

You can see the dirt on mine, and that was after a recent 'shake off' when I gave the boot a quick clear out over Christmas. The muck and stones and leaves that had gathered were awful, so I'm just glad I can throw them straight out and give the mat a wipe down rather than have them bedding into my carpet. That one I have just sits on top of my standard carpet. Think it might be a bit too flimsy/thin to lay down over the spare wheel on its own, but it does a great job of protecting the carpet. It's got a deep lip the whole way round the edge too so will stop any spills from leaking out as well.

Highly recommend to anyone, but like all things I'm not keen on Ford's new prices so I was lucky I got a bargain. Thought I saw on gumtree recently one for sale locally for £20, but doesn't seem to be there anymore.

I take it you'd be selling your full size spare kit yeah? Would that not cover the cost of a carpet and mat?

Here's a couple of ebay links for you if interested in the mat, and a Mountune tailored carpet!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27ca05beeb

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c6b4899d4

Looks cool all set up mate,

Have you thought of building a plywood parcel shelve that is capable of folding outwards to double its size,

With a hinged 90degree flip leg to support itself on the ground?

The boot door would help protect from rain and all your work station would be at a more comfortable level.

Could wrap it in carpet to look OEM too.

Or a plywood parcel shelve with another section fitted on sliders to the underside.

So you open the boot and slide out the extra work space,

And how did you know id like the Mountune one lol

Mountune want 60pounds for one directly and a further 80pounds to ship it lmao

And their website listing says its designed to fit over the existing mat, so id still need to purchase a mat.

I am currently selling the full spare tyre kit including carpet.

Which i have learned this kit gives a hatcback focus a full spare wheel. But its also used to give the ST and RS focus a raised boot to house a space saver wheel because they dont have a tyre well as standard.

Meant to say that to you about the ST aye, just in case it expanded your target audience. Hopefully you get a good price for it to fund the other bits and pieces.

Dunno what gave me the impression you'd be a fan of that yellow badge! Extorionate prices though from them directly. Something tells me you might be able to come up with your own version if you really wanted.

As for the plywood parcel shelf contraption... can honestly say no, it has NEVER crossed my mind, haha. Think you've got a good vision there though, so feel free to knock one up, send it up to the office, and I'll be happy to test it out and report back my findings! ;)

New before and after pics... To be honest the before ones are a waste of time because you can barely see a thing, but it just shows how good in comparison the after pics are! I had a 5 SMD LED 501 in the standard boot light, and they're plenty bright for footwells, vanity lights etc, but a single one at one side of the boot is pretty useless as you can see!

post-30295-0-64949200-1357814551_thumb.j

post-30295-0-78087000-1357814574_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Hi, newbie alert!

I am keen to fit both additional boot light, and 12v socket, and have been digging around my boot today.

I had a chat with Lenny last week, as I could not find any wiring behind the RH boot trims for the 12v socket, and I wondered if it was because my car is quite an early mk2, 2005.

I did however find a permanent positive behind the LH boot trims, 25amp fused for the towbar options. Hope this is of some use to you gforce? I too intend on running an invertor off that feed.

Sorry, bit off topic...

Hi mate, thanks very much for the heads up. I actually took the plunge last weekend when I had a bit of time on the car and went ahead and fitted the 12V socket. I didn't bother using the towbar feed though on the left, but instead just tapped into the 12V live from the front socket and ran the cable to the back. I updated my progress in Lenny's original guide thread for the additional 12V. Dead easy anyway, but it was just the trim removal to run the cable neatly that was putting me off getting round to it.

I'd love to know the craic with the looms ya know! Thought I had it sussed that the reason myself and Charlie didn't have the plug was because we shared the same loom as the ST, which never had a boot 12V socket. But now you're Zetec Climate doesn't have it, and also a guy on the other thread with an RS did have the plug! Strange!

Anyway, mine's all wired up now and working, but thanks anyway for the tip! ;)

Ah, I had not checked Lenny's thread for a few weeks.

I was going to do exactly what you did for the 12v socket too, but will just use the towbar feed now.

The looms seem so random?! Mine has footwell light wiring, but my mates same spec a year later does not? I had no aux button on stereo, but wiring is there ready for it, which seems quite rare too?! While tackling fitting a radio aux in cable today (I have changed radios) I found the blank switch panels either side of the heated screens are wired too! And of course, no orange RH 12v aux feed!

Fords, gotta love 'em!

I know mate. I had heard that they used the same loom across the range ya see, estates and all. Think that's why the 12V is wired back there as this was fitted in some (all?) estates. But then heard the ST had it's own loom and the high spec Titanium (mine) and Ghia (Charlie's) shared the same as the ST, hence no rear 12V, but fully wired for Xenons and the likes. Yours must have this loom as well? I did notice that I have all the wiring in place back there also for the parking sensors.

Those wires behind the blanks in the front are for the heated seats, and maybe ESP too. Nice to know that the wiring is all in place there, but fitting a full leather Recaro interior from an ST is a temptation I could be doing without!

• 1 year later...

Can anyone suggest?!

I have attempted to fit an additional boot light, tapped into the existing loom using scotch locks but for some reason the new LEDs fail to work. Can anyone recommend anything? Cheers

Can anyone suggest?!

I have attempted to fit an additional boot light, tapped into the existing loom using scotch locks but for some reason the new LEDs fail to work. Can anyone recommend anything? Cheers

Led's are fixed polarity, try unplug the led, rotate it and refit

As Lenny says, switch the LEDs round and try again. And if that fails, check the scotch locks to make sure they're making contact with the actual wire. I have noticed in the past that if the rubber coating on the wire is pretty thick or particularly 'rubbery', sometimes the little blade in the scotch lock doesn't break through it enough to make contact with the internal wire.

• Like 1

Cheers guys I've tried all that but no joy. I've ordered a bulb holder so will wire that up and hopefully that will work.

• Like 1

Cheers guys I've tried all that but no joy. I've ordered a bulb holder so will wire that up and hopefully that will work.

Jesus it surly will,

How were you getting power to the bulb without a socket wired in?

I have the original W5W bulb with a LED pad attached to it. I've spliced into the original loom and had another LED pad on the other end.

I've found the route of the problem, poor connections with the Scotchlocks as Gforce said.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

• 2 years later...
On 28/09/2011 at 0:26 AM, Lenny said:

Night Shots

I switched the flash off on the camera,

it was almost pitch black around the car except for a small glow from a near street light, which can be seen on the rear bumper and side of the body.

But the white light this is purely the bulbs, and Ive placed white A2 Pages in the boot to better display the distribution of the light thats being emitted by the two bulbs. (one either side) Very happy with the end result.

Image1035.jpg

Image1034.jpg

Image1037.jpg

Image1036.jpg

Image1033.jpg

Thanks For Looking!

Please Check my List of Guides Listed Below For More Information. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.gif

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS rear Diffuser Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus Mk2.5 ZetecS Front Lip spoiler Click Here

Is Your Focus Rusting Click Here For More Information

Guide To Activating Single & Multi Door Unlock on yor Ford Click Here

Guide To Spraying Rear View Mirror Click Here

Guide To Changing Lower Front Grill On Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

The Ultamate Reverse Bulb Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Built Climate Controls on Focus Click Here

Guide to Converting Rear Fog Light To Clear Click Here

Custom Lazer Cut Interior Parts For Your Ford Click Here

Ford Serial Number Without Removing Stereo Click Here

Guide to Fitting New Ford Mist Type Jets on all Models Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional Boot Light Click Here

The Ultimate Rear Seat Protection Click Here

Guide To Storing Vehicle For Long Periods Click Here

Guide To Fitting ST Gauge Pod To Focus Dash Click Here

Guide To Fitting Focus Led Badge Light Click Here

Guide To Fitting Second Reverse Light Ford Focus Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Auto Dimmer Unit to Gauges or DRL's Click Here

Guide to Fitting additional 12v Socket in Boot of Focus Click Here

Full ZetecS Kit Fitted to Mk2.5 Focus Click Here

Guide to Fitting Footwell Lighting In Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Induction Filter Upgrade in Your Ford Click Here

Guide to Fitting Custom Bonnet Dampers Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Wiper Blade Change Focus Mk2 Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide to Fitting EGR Blanking Plate 1,6TDCi Click Here

Guide to fitting Ford puddle lights Focus 05-12 Click Here

Guide to Fitting Genuine focus RS LED tail lights Mk2.5 Click Here

I managed to find a courtesy light from a mk1 Focus last night on eBay so I can get started on this little project. 👍🏼

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2014 at 9:06 PM, Stepmg said:

I have the original W5W bulb with a LED pad attached to it. I've spliced into the original loom and had another LED pad on the other end.

I've found the route of the problem, poor connections with the Scotchlocks as Gforce said.

I had the same problem, I undid the scotchlocks and cut away at the insulation around the wire, seems they were too thin for the little metal plate to cut into

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club