Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Focus 2010 leaking

Druberry

Hi All new to this sight, however I am really annoyed, as bought my second ford focus and yet again found the carpets wet, my first problem was on my 2003 model which my local garage sorted (pollen filter housing) now I have bought a 2010 model and that too is leaking, I have booked it in for middle of month to hopefully get it sorted. has anyone had a similar problem resolved. Its the drivers side front and rear that is wet.I am surprised as this model has been around for quite a few years now and you would expect all problems like this sorted

Hi All new to this sight, however I am really annoyed, as bought my second ford focus and yet again found the carpets wet, my first problem was on my 2003 model which my local garage sorted (pollen filter housing) now I have bought a 2010 model and that too is leaking, I have booked it in for middle of month to hopefully get it sorted. has anyone had a similar problem resolved. Its the drivers side front and rear that is wet.I am surprised as this model has been around for quite a few years now and you would expect all problems like this sorted

Sorry to read, you are having trouble with your 2010, Nice focus

when you get a momment please join Photobucket,

upload the pictures of your foci there and copy the URLs from the pictures

then paste them in to your posts so we can see the car,

check my link below entitled is your focus rusting,

best to check this and get them to fix it too if needs be..

see the list of guides below this post,

click on the first one

its the top left. B)

That is unusual. Ive not experienced it in any Focus and I cant remember reading anyone experiencing this with a Mk 2.5.

I have a 2008 (58) reg facelift focus. I too had drivers side wet carpets. It turned out the be the bulkhead seam leaking, and repaired under warranty.

I have a 2008 (58) reg facelift focus. I too had drivers side wet carpets. It turned out the be the bulkhead seam leaking, and repaired under warranty.

Thanks for your experience, My car goes in Thursday I just hope they find the leak as I have not got a clue. It to will be done under warranty. do you know what warranty you should get with the repair? Thanks for your reply

That is unusual. Ive not experienced it in any Focus and I cant remember reading anyone experiencing this with a Mk 2.5.

Hello all,

I have a MK 2.5 and I encountered this problem. It was the passenger side instead. I took the car to the local dealer and they said some drain pipe or something had been blocked and told me they cleaned it. Then, I took the car to a Sonax service and made the upholstery dried and vacuumed.

Hi

I had this as well, put passenger side footwell. Was in ford for a over a month, and when they eventually removed the dash, they found that a small amount of mastic sealant was missing from the front bulkhead, when manufactured. This allowed water to leak in.

hope it helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, will let you know how I get on after its been in the garage. Cheers

• Like 1

Hi All, Garage phone me yesterday to say they have found the leak and it appears to be bulkhead seam sealant problem the same as top banana. I will check the rest of the car for leaks when I get it back as its nearly a year old. However I did E;mail ford and told them that for a car of this age I was annoyed at the leak and felt they should extend my water ingress warranty. They did respond by saying they could not extend the warranty but gave me a reference number to quote should I have any more leaks after the warranty period expired and said now I have told them of the problem should it appear again they would assist me.Lets hope no more leaks.

Hi All, Garage phone me yesterday to say they have found the leak and it appears to be bulkhead seam sealant problem the same as top banana. I will check the rest of the car for leaks when I get it back as its nearly a year old. However I did E;mail ford and told them that for a car of this age I was annoyed at the leak and felt they should extend my water ingress warranty. They did respond by saying they could not extend the warranty but gave me a reference number to quote should I have any more leaks after the warranty period expired and said now I have told them of the problem should it appear again they would assist me.Lets hope no more leaks.

Good to hear it's over. It took ages in mine to get rid of the horrible odor.

Glad its sorted. This is a few focus's i have heard of this happening, maybe ford need to look at their manufacturing processes

I insisted that the dealer that did mine, wash and vac the whole carpet (it would have had to come out anyway), and give the car a full valet.

Hi All

Went to garage and picked up the car but I am not happy as they told me the carpets were dry but the felt is still wet underneath, they said it must be leaking out of the sodden felt further up. Garage said they will contact ford and get in contact. I suggested a new carpet as it is starting to smell. Garage said it will get sorted. I believe now that ford Has poor servicing to go with their poor manufacturing.

• Like 1

Car is going back in the garage for hopefully to dry my carpet which is starting to smell and check that they have definitely stop the leak as I'm not convinced.

• 2 weeks later...

The Latest update, took the car to ford dealership 21st Oct got it back 31 Oct after carpets & seats removed, they told me they found another leak and 1 on the passenger side. Woke up 1 Nov after a night of heavy rain and carpet wet. Now waiting to get a courtesy car so I can take it back, possible dash coming out this time. I'm really fed up with this car, its 11 mths old. I never thought I would say it but I could be buying a vauxhall next time, however if ford wish to buy my car of me or swap it for the newer model as a good will gesture, I would be up for it.

The Latest update, took the car to ford dealership 21st Oct got it back 31 Oct after carpets & seats removed, they told me they found another leak and 1 on the passenger side. Woke up 1 Nov after a night of heavy rain and carpet wet. Now waiting to get a courtesy car so I can take it back, possible dash coming out this time. I'm really fed up with this car, its 11 mths old. I never thought I would say it but I could be buying a vauxhall next time, however if ford wish to buy my car of me or swap it for the newer model as a good will gesture, I would be up for it.

I would have thought the dash would have come out last time, as you said it was a bulkhead seam.... If not, this is more likely exactly what mine had, missing mastic sealant on the A frame bulkhead, and the WHOLE dash assembly needed to be removed, they virtually gutted the whole car according to the photos they showed me.... Insist the dash is removed. After this I never had a problem with a leak.

Good Luck

Hi, by the sounds of the other posters you are having the same issues I had with my 58-plate 2.0TDCI Focus. I initially noticed it was wet not long after I had a windscreen replaced (cracked by a stone) so I naturally assumed it was an issue with the way the replacement screen was bonded in. Autoglass then removed the new screen and it was plain to see (even to a thicko like me!) that there was no gap in the thick black bonding material, nor was any of it lifting.

The car then went into my local Ford dealer and they had the car for 8 days, told me they'd traced the leak to the hinges for the tailgate at the top of the roof, they'd sealed them they said and charged me almost £300 for the work. Not long after it became apparent that the car was still wet (all along the length of the drivers side).

Car then went into Ford again who kept it for a few days again (can't remember exactly but i THINK it was 6 days). Can't really remember the outcome but the car still wasn't fixed.

I then put it into a friendly glass replacement place who removed the cowl at the bottom of the windscreen and pulled back the carpet under the pedals, then put a hose over the car and when they put the hose anywhere near the factory holes on the drivers side (right where the A-pillar meets the bulkhead on the drivers side) the water was POURING into the drivers footwell. He took a wee video of it on his mobile and showed me when I went to pick the car up.

In his opinion there was an issue with a weld or a bond on the metalwork on the bulkhead. I had lost all faith in the car at this point, i'd been chasing this leak for over 2 months at this point and having to deal with steamed-up windows constantly as well them being frozen on the inside during the winter so I decided to trade the focus in for an octavia. The next owner, or the garage that took my car in as a trade-in, can worry about it.

I hope you get your car fixed Druberry.

I would have thought the dash would have come out last time, as you said it was a bulkhead seam.... If not, this is more likely exactly what mine had, missing mastic sealant on the A frame bulkhead, and the WHOLE dash assembly needed to be removed, they virtually gutted the whole car according to the photos they showed me.... Insist the dash is removed. After this I never had a problem with a leak.

Good Luck

Thanks Chris

Well its back in the garage now so will let you know the outcome, I hope the end result is the same as yours Chris.

Here's Hoping

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Update on situation, garage took carpet out they found it wet in drivers footwell only but could not find a track from there, so they left it out in the rain for few days facing uphill but no leak detected, then they drove car with carpets out to see if a/c or heater was to blame and still no leak.

I am worried that I will get it back and have to go through the whole scenario again. I thought they were going to take the dash out but they are very reluctant for some reason.This situation is really frustrating. Any Ideas

Andy

I thought they were going to take the dash out but they are very reluctant for some reason.This situation is really frustrating. Any Ideas

Andy

I would be demanding they remove the dash, you could try telling them, you have heard tales of some cars of this age having missing mastic sealent at the A pillar/bulkhead seam.... Or ask them why they are reluctant, probably because its under warranty so it will cost them not you!!!! With mine, they remove the windcreen twice, had their powerjets running over it for hours on end, and still could not locate the cause. They said as soon as the dash was removed it was found in minutes. I wish I had the photos to post of where it was, but the dealership kept them, to send to ford so they got paid for the warranty claim.

Chris

Garage phoned me to say they had the car for 10days took carpet out put 1 seat back in drove it around in rain but could not find any source of leak, so got it back Tuesday, next day heavy rain, a very small wet patch next to inner sill so I put some tissue paper there, but no rain since and it is now dry again. Its a real mystery, I did ring the garage and told them of the leak, they booked it in for next week, but now there is no evidence. I told the garage of your plight, but they did not respond. Was your leaking all the time or just when you parked it a certain position, (uphill, etc). I can see why others have simply moved the car on as it gives you no confidence what so ever.

Regards Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Leak Update.

Today I picked the car up after dropping it off at the garage no the 21st. Since then the front doors and dash were completely removed (they showed me photos as I asked) and they said they were able to immediately see where the water was coming in, as Chris said in earlier post. There were quite a few places where the sealer was missing or cracked so they repaired them all to be on the safe side. Its now just a matter of time and constant checking before I can be sure it is water tight, but I am pleased with progress so far.

Thanks again Chris for your valuable info.

Andy

Hi Andy

Glad you got it sorted, there must be an issue with some of these MK2 focus's with the mastic failing etc. Ford are usually reluctant to take out the dash, due to the time and expense, particularly, as most of the time its warranty claims.... It took them 3-4 weeks to remove my dash, and as you, they found the issues immediately. I am surprised there is not a reminder to all dealerships about this, as there was with the Mk1 pollen filter housing issues...

Cheers

Chris

• 5 months later...

The same problem has just started on my 2009 Focus, front and rear foot-wells on the drivers side are both very wet, I phoned the local ford dealership who told me water ingress is only covered in the 1st year of warranty. They said they would take a look and do an initial water test for around £50 then if they found anything they would try to get Ford to cover the cost., but I'm extremely dubious this would happen, I'm very disappointed with the situation it could end up costing me a fortune.Could anyone tell me how the water gets from the front to the back foot-well, (my car is always parked facing uphill on a steep drive)

time watchdog was contacted and it will force ford to honour these issues

i agree a partition should be made OR we should all contact watchdog regarding this and the rusting issue, as ford do know about these problems as many people inform them, but they just play dumb.

do you think you are the only person to have mentioned this to your dealer??

ford wanted me to pay for the repair of the rust issue as paintwork is only under warranty for the first year, even though this is clearly a manufacturers fault!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club