Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Bonnet Not Opening

yoshi

• 2 months later...

New to the forum!

I've just fixed this problem in my 08 focus tdci today.

I found by cutting the grill out with tin snips, then pulling the barrel and bowden cable hard with pliers until it came away from the mechanism left me with a cable.

WP_20160207_13_13_37_Pro.thumb.jpg.ebe02WP_20160207_13_13_23_Pro.thumb.jpg.c0fa5WP_20160207_13_13_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.b22cb

I then with pliers turned the cable to the left then the right I could operate the  mechanism and open the bonnet.

I then replaced all the parts for new and sorted.

Ford had quoted me £290 to do this, In total I its cost me £50 and an hours work.

I rebuilt the barrel to fit my key which took around 20 minutes after watching a brilliant video on YouTube.

I personally think this is the easiest way to do it without tearing your hands to shreads.

• 2 months later...

Had this problem. Used a long screwdriver through grill to break casing and remove the wire and lock then a Long socket with a small socket on the end hammered onto the white bit which turned and released bonnet. Very fiddly and took some patience. And we did have use of a ramp and 4 toolboxes to find the appropriate tools!! No broken grill and Replacement lock off eBay happy days. 

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem 2007 Mk2 Focus, watched a couple of YouTube videos which gave some hints. So I videoed what I learned fixing mine. No damage, easy fix.

Thought I'd post here to hopefully save someone some time and money. ..

• Like 1

Great video - I saw it on Youtube a few days ago after trying the long screwdriver trick and failing.  Did you film this as you went, or have you done this before - very impressive if it was the first time doing this!

Just a couple of question if you don't mind: I reckon the top screws have to be broken anyway because they are holding in the grill and slam plate into the frame, even if they both come out together so I'll do that to reduce the risk of having to pull the grill too hard and risk breaking it, what do you think?  Secondly, one of the other posts above talks about pulling the lock barrel to separate it from the white plastic part - did you  try this and it wouldn't come or did you go straight into smashing it off? 

Anyway, I'll be trying this trick at the weekend when I have enough time and daylight so thanks for showing how its done.  I haven't got the replacement lock but will work out what is wrong before buying what is needed, or leave as is and set it up for not needing the key to open in future.  Then I can get around to getting ready for the oil change which is soon due.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have managed to pull the grill off in one piece as per the video and now left with the key barrel hanging down from the white collet piece.  Any advice on a Saturday evening before I go back out tomorrow to get to the latch mechanism?  I think I will start by trying to pull the lock barrel and cable straight off, as there is some movement in the white plastic so it might just pull out.  Failing that I will take a lump hammer to it, but just don't like the thought of smashing it all up! 

I haven't bought any replacement pieces yet so will so might just leave it with access for a long screwdriver to opne it again in future.  Also, I'm guessing its quite easy to refit the grill with plastic push-in widgets to replace the screws I cut out?

Cheers

No one?

Job done.   I was just about to smash up the white plastic bits then decided to try and reach around the latch and undo the 10mm bolts holding it in.  Not much room to work and no way the rachet socket would fit so it was a case of 1/8th turn at a time with the spanner held in my finger tips, fitting in the gap just below the bonnet.  There is no way I could reach up from underneath, no room and my arm got stuck trying. Also, no one said anything about the plastic catch which holds the lock on and which needs to be helped off with a screwdriver once the bolts are out - I can post a picture if anyone is interested. 

Don't know what was wrong as the whole mechanism worked again when I reconnected everything together.  I don't have any confidence that it will continue working though so have removed the lock, cable and plastic bits and will just keep a screwdriver in the car from now on to push straight into the cross shaped hole in the latch.

Buy an updated link bar off eBay so you can refit the whole kit properly.

Apparently the bar sometimes need a slight trim to get a good fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-FORD-Focus-C-Max-2004-2011-Bonnet-Lock-Catch-Cable-Clip-UPGRADE-PART-/252245489448?hash=item3abb00b728:g:z48AAOSwgQ9VoOBQ

• Like 1

Thanks, I've seen those replacement plastic link bars on eBay before and might get one if my "temporary" arrangement doesn't work out.  I ended up grinding down the end of a steel bar to fit the cross shape in the latch that I will keep in the boot for when it is needed (my screwdriver wasn't long enough to reach all the way in).  In reality I only need to open the bonnet every month or two to check fluid levels and change the oil/filters once a year so not a big deal to spend an extra 30 seconds opening it - not like having a non-operational driver's door handle for 6 months and having to reach in from the back door every time I got into the car!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had to deploy the screwdriver tick as I replaced both my grilles on my focus mk 2 facelift and ended up with a bonnet that would not open back up. My god that's a p*** poor designed lock mechanism.

• Like 1

On 03/05/2017 at 8:03 PM, RichH1071 said:

I had the same problem 2007 Mk2 Focus, watched a couple of YouTube videos which gave some hints. So I videoed what I learned fixing mine. No damage, easy fix.

Thought I'd post here to hopefully save someone some time and money. ..

I wish I saw this a year ago! I had to pay £130 to get mine changed 😞 

• 3 years later...

I have a 2009 focus estate, my son just replaced the catalytic converter, was due mot on 10th February, he closed the bonnet the other day and now it will not open.  I have been told, its going to fail the mot on the bonnet issue.  I have not had my car for over a month, still trying to get over covid and I use crutches to get around.  Really desperate to get my car back. Any help/advice appreciated 

34 minutes ago, Morag Fraser said:

I have a 2009 focus estate, my son just replaced the catalytic converter, was due mot on 10th February, he closed the bonnet the other day and now it will not open.  I have been told, its going to fail the mot on the bonnet issue.  I have not had my car for over a month, still trying to get over covid and I use crutches to get around.  Really desperate to get my car back. Any help/advice appreciated 

Unfortunately, a very common problem. Had the same happen to me during 1st lockdown. Here is my story... and welcome to the forum

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club